You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/10/20 at 11:46

We are voting purely on the music here and for me its Michal Jackson. Elvis of course is an all-time great but I much prefer Michal Jacksons music. Classic after classic until fucking earth song and I don't even mind that. 

Stick that up yer blue suede ring-piece 

• Upvote 1

I could never imagine anybody over 16 listening to Michael Jackson. That's why a little bit of me still believes it was possible he was only friends with all that kids accusing him. That he was really just some weird big child. Everything around him was childish, his music, his image, his taste, his ideas.  How a child would see pop music, a life of a pop star.

My favourite growing up vs my dad's favourite here.

I used to sit in primary school, humming beat it to myself, imagining moving to America to live the dream.

Knowing the crowd, i imagine this will be a landslide for Elvis, with Jackson turned into the out of tune busker in town. 

18 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I could never imagine anybody over 16 listening to Michael Jackson. That's why a little bit of me still believes it was possible he was only friends with all that kids accusing him. That he was really just some weird big child. Everything around him was childish, his music, his image, his taste, his ideas.  How a child would see pop music, a life of a pop star.

His father really did not do him any favors.

4 minutes ago, John102 said:

My favourite growing up vs my dad's favourite here.

I used to sit in primary school, humming beat it to myself, imagining moving to America to live the dream.

Knowing the crowd, i imagine this will be a landslide for Elvis, with Jackson turned into the out of tune busker in town. 

Your dad knows. 

27 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Off the Wall is an excellent album that definitely isn’t for teenyboppers. Thriller is a very good pop album.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I disagree that his music was childish, from the early Jackson 5 singles right through to Thriller, he was making great music. A lot of amazing people were involved too from Berry Gordy to Quincy Jones.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

I still use Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough to check any new audio equipment I get. The production value on that song is incredible. 

You could use any tune Bruce Swedien mixed for that - nothing to do with Michael Jackson.

the early Jackson 5 singles

This is his best work - and I think it was probably done for kids as they were kids at the time and these songs featured on cartoon shows.

Part of the "missing element" of Michael as it were is the complete lack of authenticity when he tries to move into the traditional root of rock n roll - sexual innuendo. Elvis had it in spades (no pun intended) - Michael, erm not so much. His singing to a rat was more believable than to a woman.

33 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You could use any tune Bruce Swedien mixed for that - nothing to do with Michael Jackson.

the early Jackson 5 singles

This is his best work - and I think it was probably done for kids as they were kids at the time and these songs featured on cartoon shows.

Part of the "missing element" of Michael as it were is the complete lack of authenticity when he tries to move into the traditional root of rock n roll - sexual innuendo. Elvis had it in spades (no pun intended) - Michael, erm not so much. His singing to a rat was more believable than to a woman.

It’s about the range of different instruments in the mix, some more pronounced and others set back that make it good test track for me. I remember when I got my BGVP earphones and hearing things I’d not heard before and I’ve had some good ones. 

Hunter by Bjork is another is use .

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

yeah, got to be. it's almost like stig has an interest in getting someone through to the semi or final ... he's eliminating all the competition early on. 

Haha when I first saw the draw I was so tempted to re-do it but where's the fun in that. 

This should be a lot closer and you all should be ashamed.