You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/10/20 at 11:46

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am way too lazy to move the goal posts. 

Back to the original - Elvis was far bigger than Michael Jackson. 

Michael Jacksons recordings have never been groundbreaking - they have been at the top of the industry for awhile.

He has never been at the vanguard of performance or creativity. He is good. But he is not Elvis. And he has nowhere near the influence of mid 80's rap, then or now.

So you are happy to concede that Pop music was bigger than Rap music in the 80's? 

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Sure - I look back on that time and wonder why Madonna is not still in vogue.

Hahaha fuck sake man. 

Anyway rap/hip-hop music now is shite so they can fuck their legacy right off. It peaked in the 90's and has hung around like a bad smell ever since. 

I get the whole Elvis thing. Can see why many people really like him but he really only appeals to an older generation nowadays or those who grew up with their folks listening to him. I reckon most on here over 45 go for Elvis with the under 45s going for MJ ?

I've gone for MJ because I'm not an Elvis fan. I wouldn't listen to him at any time and he's not in a single playlist on my Spotify or Deezer accounts. I've a good few MJ tunes though.  Despite being a runaway fruit basket he did make some incredible upbeat, feel good tunes. 

38 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The thing about Elvis's schtick is that it was easy. That's why there's about a million Elvis Presley impersonators. It's a haircut and a sneer. Big wow.

Now try to moonwalk. Just the walk.

There are some good impersonators kicking about but none of them can really sing like Elvis. He could sing like a motherfucker, operatic stuff too. Even his last performance when he looked fucked, his voice was still off the charts.

Jackson was an incredible singing talent too, just phenomenal. 

Dancing I can take or leave, it's for girls that stuff. Won't count towards my vote.

• Upvote 2