You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nathaniel Phillips

Supremolad

36 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Exactly this for me.

Matip gone. Sign a new player to compete with Gomez to play alongside VVD. Phillips in against the alehouse sides when we have injuries. Maybe Fabinho against teams that play a bit more football.

Would be nice to see this Davies character at some point. If that even is his real name.

Only logged on to change my avatar to Nat Phillips this morning. Of course somebody else had got there first.  

Even on the rare occasions that we're winning in 2021, I'm losing. 

15 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Only logged on to change my avatar to Nat Phillips this morning. Of course somebody else had got there first.  

Even on the rare occasions that we're winning in 2021, I'm losing. 

That's too bad.

Nat.thumb.jpg.f0d51bf861dfe46f895ac89634

• Upvote 2

He'd be good for a team who defend on edge of own area like half the league...

He is decent in air, strong enough and brave.

But for me he is just too slow to play in our system and just feel that top class forwards will exploit him too often.

Probably get a good fee for him now though from a Palace or Burnley etc and can use that towards a quicker, more suited to our style centre half.

He's done OK though and can hold his head up at his efforts for us this season.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Exactly this for me.

Matip gone. Sign a new player to compete with Gomez to play alongside VVD. Phillips in against the alehouse sides when we have injuries. Maybe Fabinho against teams that play a bit more football.

Would be nice to see this Davies character at some point. If that even is his real name.

Matip is our second best centre half,even with his appalling injury record. He has no sell on value and is brilliant when fit. I reckon he's going nowhere.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Matip is our second best centre half,even with his appalling injury record. He has no sell on value and is brilliant when fit. I reckon he's going nowhere.

I know he's our second best centre half. He's in the top five in the league.

But he's always injured.

Good in the air. But to not make him a liability in the team it's all about protection: he needs the backs and the midfield to protect him, so that he doesn't have to track fast players running past him and/or face pacey attackers in or around the box. Also he needs support when playing out from the back. If most of what he has to do is to head the ball away and keep it simple (like yesterdays game) he will do fine.  

16 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

It's Virgil I'm worried about. After his injury and all that he's gone through, to now find out he's lost his place in the side and is no longer a guaranteed starter - it must be hard.

It'll be even worse when Davies is up and running... 

30 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

It's Virgil I'm worried about. After his injury and all that he's gone through, to now find out he's lost his place in the side and is no longer a guaranteed starter - it must be hard.

Yeah? Well he should have thought about that before he injured himself off Pickfords legs, or something

I don't think anything will change at CB. Everyone will come back, likely including Kabak. Phillips will get a new contract and then depending on how much we can get for him, he'll stay as 5th choice, or be sold. He might want to leave at that point, actually, if we can't get him game time. He will have earned it somewhere else. 

As a team who want to play a high press in an extremely mobile set-up that has aspirations of continuing to win league titles and European cups, if Phillips is anywhere near our first team squad, we are in trouble.

He's done well for us as we've shown relegation form.  And while it's very much of this side of the world to celebrate players diving in head first to win balls, it's also bollox.  We rightly hammered Lovren for being drawn to the ball so often that it resulted in games like he had against Spurs that time. That's what's in Phillips future.  Dogs of war types players are not what we should ever want.  The sooner he's out of the team the better.  And that's not a slight on him.  He's apparently a lovely lad, and he's a decent to good player.  But we are the current Premier League Champions.  We are in the quarters of the European Cup and if the draw goes our way, have a chance in it.  Nat Phillips is simply not that level.  If he was, it wouldn't have taken the soon-to-be 24 year old a massive injury crisis to get a few games.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

As a team who want to play a high press in an extremely mobile set-up that has aspirations of continuing to win league titles and European cups, if Phillips is anywhere near our first team squad, we are in trouble.

He's done well for us as we've shown relegation form.  And while it's very much of this side of the world to celebrate players diving in head first to win balls, it's also bollox.  We rightly hammered Lovren for being drawn to the ball so often that it resulted in games like he had against Spurs that time. That's what's in Phillips future.  Dogs of war types players are not what we should ever want.  The sooner he's out of the team the better.  And that's not a slight on him.  He's apparently a lovely lad, and he's a decent to good player.  But we are the current Premier League Champions.  We are in the quarters of the European Cup and if the draw goes our way, have a chance in it.  Nat Phillips is simply not that level.  If he was, it wouldn't have taken the soon-to-be 24 year old a massive injury crisis to get a few games.  

Mate you missed 3 of my cornflakes when you decided to give me an impromptu golden shower, mind getting them when you can?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Fuck off to the MF.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Stop moaning and get behind the lad.