Quantcast
Nathaniel Phillips - Page 33 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Supremolad

Nathaniel Phillips

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Plus Zaha can do that to any defender in the league. He's arguably the best one v one attacker in the country.

 

And he was offside and it wouldn't have counted anyway!

Not every defender. We largely need central defenders that can defend 1v1. Van Dijk, Gomez and Matip are all excellent at it and it's part of the reason you sign a 6 foot 4 athletic freak that can run like Konate. 

 

And as much as Phillips deserves credit and can absolutely stay if he wants to be nominally 5th choice, there are numerous examples of him looking quite stupid when players ran at him. If he was good at that along with everything else he does, we wouldn't have needed to spend big money on a CB, but we did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

Yes it was, because an able-bodied centre back would have cut the ball out regardless of the looseness of the pass. It was painful watching how slowly he covered that ground. TAA will lose balls at times because he's an adventurous full back, arguably the best in the world at what he does. The centre back needs to be able to compensate for that. Risk/reward .. the team in the long run will be more successful w/ TAA playing the way he does. You do not get rid of that style of play to accommodate one of the slowest centre halfs in the entire division.

I think you need to watch the clip back, because the ball was bad. It made Phillips commit to trying to get there and gave Townsend the run on him as it came into him.

 

Relinquishing blame from Trent for making a mistake because he’s “adventurous” and laying it at someone else’s feet because you don’t rate them is ridiculous.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Phillips and have fought his corner, but I just want to add some sensibility to my cause here - he could very well end up not playing more than a handful of games next season if we get another partnership going, but all I’m saying is he’s earned the right to be here and compete for those spots the same as anyone else. Moreso than Matip, who while he is obviously a top quality footballer, is far too injury prone and should be moved on if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Yes it was, because an able-bodied centre back would have cut the ball out regardless of the looseness of the pass. It was painful watching how slowly he covered that ground. TAA will lose balls at times because he's an adventurous full back, arguably the best in the world at what he does. The centre back needs to be able to compensate for that. Risk/reward .. the team in the long run will be more successful w/ TAA playing the way he does. You do not get rid of that style of play to accommodate one of the slowest centre halfs in the entire division.

 

16 seconds in. The adventurous pass from Trent was actually a casual swing with the outside of the boot, 15 yards backwards and across the pitch, curling away from Nat and towards Townsend. It was fucking awful. I don’t even think it was meant for Phillips 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe he'll be fifth choice theoretically, but given that the top three are coming back from extremely serious injuries, he'll play plenty next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant knock him for the effort he put in and yes he lacks pace which is a risk for our high line. Having said that he deserves a spot in the squad and wouldn't let the side down if picked. Who would be 5th choice at either of the Manc clubs ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see us selling Phillips to get some cash in and using Davies as back up. I know Klopp hasn't trusted him so far but with three centre backs and a newbie he'll want someone else around. We won't get the kind of fee for Davies that we would for Phillips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, well. Thanks for the memories, Nat.

 

“We haven’t had a conversation about it up until now. I think the situation is, initially they didn’t anticipate me having the season and putting in the performances that I did do.

 

“Maybe where they might have thought I was just going to do a job and then they would be able to sell me and I would move on, now they’re having second thoughts. I’m not sure.

 

“I still need to have the conversations with them and just see if there is a role for me there and what role they would want me to play.

 

“It would depend on if they saw a role for me at Liverpool and then what role that would be. I would have to decide what is best for myself off the back of that.

 

“I have loved all of my time at Liverpool up until this moment, to have been taken in by the fans so much this year and have loved having the opportunity to play for the club.

 

“I have loved every minute of it and would love to carry on playing for the club.

 

“But I’ve also got to take into consideration what is best for my career, and that will depend on what role Liverpool see they do or don’t have for me and I’ll have to go from there.”

 

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/06/nat-phillips-seeks-liverpool-role-clarity-ahead-of-decisive-summer/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, m0e said:

Oh, well. Thanks for the memories, Nat.

 

“We haven’t had a conversation about it up until now. I think the situation is, initially they didn’t anticipate me having the season and putting in the performances that I did do.

 

“Maybe where they might have thought I was just going to do a job and then they would be able to sell me and I would move on, now they’re having second thoughts. I’m not sure.

 

“I still need to have the conversations with them and just see if there is a role for me there and what role they would want me to play.

 

“It would depend on if they saw a role for me at Liverpool and then what role that would be. I would have to decide what is best for myself off the back of that.

 

“I have loved all of my time at Liverpool up until this moment, to have been taken in by the fans so much this year and have loved having the opportunity to play for the club.

 

“I have loved every minute of it and would love to carry on playing for the club.

 

“But I’ve also got to take into consideration what is best for my career, and that will depend on what role Liverpool see they do or don’t have for me and I’ll have to go from there.”

 

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/06/nat-phillips-seeks-liverpool-role-clarity-ahead-of-decisive-summer/

I think he'll get game time here next season because I dont see Virgil, Joe and Joel being thrown back in at the deep end. But if Nat decides an offer of regular games elsewhere is more appealling then, good luck to the lad. He didnt let us down when he played.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Extend his contract, bump his wages and see how things go this season. He's still young for a CB so still time for him to improve all aspects of his game except for his pace obviously. If it's not working for either side then next summer is the time for him to go.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, m0e said:

Oh, well. Thanks for the memories, Nat.

 

“We haven’t had a conversation about it up until now. I think the situation is, initially they didn’t anticipate me having the season and putting in the performances that I did do.

 

“Maybe where they might have thought I was just going to do a job and then they would be able to sell me and I would move on, now they’re having second thoughts. I’m not sure.

 

“I still need to have the conversations with them and just see if there is a role for me there and what role they would want me to play.

 

“It would depend on if they saw a role for me at Liverpool and then what role that would be. I would have to decide what is best for myself off the back of that.

 

“I have loved all of my time at Liverpool up until this moment, to have been taken in by the fans so much this year and have loved having the opportunity to play for the club.

 

“I have loved every minute of it and would love to carry on playing for the club.

 

“But I’ve also got to take into consideration what is best for my career, and that will depend on what role Liverpool see they do or don’t have for me and I’ll have to go from there.”

 

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/06/nat-phillips-seeks-liverpool-role-clarity-ahead-of-decisive-summer/

I think he could do a job for us as 5th choice and that way klopp likes to use an extra centre back to kill tight matches. There's nothing the lad won't head when we're pinned back. But I suspect reading that that he's off. Edwards has ££££ signs in his eyes and probably thinks he can use him to help the summer rebuild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If letting the likes of Gini go, while paying Keita £100k+ a week is the way we do business, I can see why Nat doesn't want to waste his career here.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

If he isn't offered the captaincy for life Jurgen and the rest of his backroom staff of frauds can pack their bags.

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2021 at 17:07, Jairzinho said:

If he isn't offered the captaincy Jurgen and the rest of his backroom staff of frauds can pack their bags.

Jairz supports Nat Phillips FC, not Liverpool FC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/06/2021 at 11:36, Alex_K said:

He's a "poor" to "very poor" player. Palace game:

  • Beaten by Townsend in a 50/50 on the halfway line, as he's one of the slowest players in the league. Lucky we didn't concede.
  • Got completely done by Zaha on pretty much the only occasion Zaha was able to get the ball in the game. Again, lucky we didn't concede.

So yes, just that game in isolation where we could very easily on another day have missed out on European competition due to his woeful lack of pace, pretty much literally the only occasions Palace had the ball in our half. Not remotely the answer for the team on any consistent basis.

That’s a pretty unfair selection of issues to concentrate on. I agree with the last few posts before yours that suggest he’s a rung or two below the standard we need as first choice (and the Klavan comparison was a pretty good one) but to use two examples to call him “poor or very poor” is unfair.

 

he is slow, that’s a given. Sometimes that pace stood out like a sore thumb, like the example you gave, but by and large that lack of pace was way less obvious than I expected it to be, which is credit to him given every team tried their utmost to exploit it.

 

and to also use zaha getting the better of him is cheap. Zaha gets the better of way better defenders than Nat regularly. Like saying Carra wasn’t a good defender cause of the times Henry made him look like a clogger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/06/2021 at 16:16, belarus said:

 

16 seconds in. The adventurous pass from Trent was actually a casual swing with the outside of the boot, 15 yards backwards and across the pitch, curling away from Nat and towards Townsend. It was fucking awful. I don’t even think it was meant for Phillips 

Watching that back in “real time” it’s actually Williams that shows up there more than Phillips. 
 

the ball from Trent was awful, everyone knows that, and Nat had little choice but to try and go for it, and his lack of pace didn’t help but Williams’ reaction was to do nothing. Not great all round but not on Nat.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still can't believe Townsend didn't score, I know it wouldn't have mattered in the end given the Chelsea and Leicester results but at the time I was getting major Demba Ba flashbacks.

 

Also can't believe Williams never scored from Robbo's corner there either. Looked harder to miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

That’s a pretty unfair selection of issues to concentrate on. I agree with the last few posts before yours that suggest he’s a rung or two below the standard we need as first choice (and the Klavan comparison was a pretty good one) but to use two examples to call him “poor or very poor” is unfair.

 

he is slow, that’s a given. Sometimes that pace stood out like a sore thumb, like the example you gave, but by and large that lack of pace was way less obvious than I expected it to be, which is credit to him given every team tried their utmost to exploit it.

 

and to also use zaha getting the better of him is cheap. Zaha gets the better of way better defenders than Nat regularly. Like saying Carra wasn’t a good defender cause of the times Henry made him look like a clogger.

I mean, you can take a 1 game sample size, or you can take a 6 year sample size as a 24 year old defender spending the majority at non-professional or 2nd-rung professional level. You'll reach the same objective conclusion. It is not a matter of being 'cheap' .. it is not a matter of using imagination to suggest it would have happened to many other players .. it is about looking at what actually did happen, why it happened, and how it happened in the context of the overall game(s). The team was built to conceal the weakness at the back .. but its a really boring conversation by now & the sun is shining .. we'll see what happens next year ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×