You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nathaniel Phillips

Supremolad

I think we need 5 CB next season.

VVD will miss games 

Joel always misses games

Joe always misses games

There will be times when all 3 of the above are not available, IMO, when we will need a pair we can rely on. Hence the need for 5.

If rumours are true about Konate, then we have 1 slot remaining.

Kabak or Nat. It may come down to money or it may come down to either/both players wanting to play regularly.

If we go into the season with 5 CB and Nat is one then I won't stress too much, same with Kabak or a.n.other. 

If Nat/Kabak wants to leave to play regularly then we will still need 5CB.

• Upvote 1

If he's happy to stay it makes so much sense to have this committed defender as part of the squad. He just exudes the right attitude and commitment to the team and is excellent in the air, makes a big difference to that side of our defence. Just wonder though at his age if he would rather play regular football somewhere else. He'll go for a decent fee. Guess it all depends on the money and if we are buying/selling/losing any other defenders.

Kabak is a no brainer IMO. The lad is 20 years old and will only improve. If we get Kounate and depending on the return to fitness of VVD, Gomez and Matip he may find himself down the pecking order next season. 

In that scenario he can be loaned out to get games and develop. 

If there are issues with any of the 3 above, he will get games here.

Either way we are paying 18m for a player that will probably be worth a lot more in 2-3 years. 

13 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

He’s getting huge credit. Massive credit in fact. He’ll probably be voted in our top 5 players of the season.  

Don’t confuse negativity towards him with people just saying that when we get this shit-show of a season out of the way we need to ensure we have top class CBs so we can get back to challenging for and winning league titles and European cups again. Phillips has done well, but he’s just not that level. Most players aren’t that level. It’s not a criticism, it’s just he’s not that top CB level. And at 24 he needs to be a starter now. 

One of my favourite things about this forum is the variety of opinion.

Having said that, I don't think you should be allowed to clutter this thread with your hateful, despicable views.

I've reported these posts. Nobody should have to engage with utterly disgusting ideas like these, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Kabak is a no brainer IMO. The lad is 20 years old and will only improve. If we get Kounate and depending on the return to fitness of VVD, Gomez and Matip he may find himself down the pecking order next season. 

Either way we are paying 18m for a player that will probably be worth a lot more in 2-3 years. 

I didn't see the point in Kabak a month ago, his little injury just finalised it for me. He's not tall and he's not quick,  he's cheap and he's young,  the former two are more important than the latter. If we could add bullet proof to his attributes he'd have a chance but he's just not good enough at this moment to persist with when we don't have too.

3 hours ago, Razoray said:

Kabak isn't a no brainer. Far from it.

18 mil is a lot of money when we need much more than a 6th cente half, when you consider we have the 3 injured plus Phillips and Williams in the squad.

Add Konate, and you can certainly forget Kabak.

The only way we spend 18 mil on him is if we raise it. Phillips and Davies may just do it.

But I think they're going to fund Konate's first payment, personally.

I also think Williams will go out on loan and we may convince Nat to stay on for another season.

English players are needed for the squad.

8 minutes ago, Heinze said:

People think we can rely on Matip? This is the kind of thinking that got us into this mess in the first place.

100%

He simply can't be relied on.

He has featured in 19 of our last 76 league games.

Has managed 90 mins 6 times this season.

He managed it 7 times the season before.

Very good defender - total waste of a wage/squad place we simply can't rely on him.