Supremolad

Nathaniel Phillips

Whatever happens, I will always cherish the fact that he came home from loan to beat Everton and then fucked off back on loan again, once the job was done. 

53 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Very good performance.  He'll be buzzing tonight.  I'd play him against all the other alehouse teams as well.  

Yes, looks perfect for these types of games. Doesn't try anything flashy, just wins all his headers and gives the ball to someone else on the team when he gets it.

As you say, he must be buzzing tonight.

He looked quite vocal as well which is good to see.

He's someone who we have to be careful with in terms of who we decide to use him against because I think we know he's pretty limited, but his aerial ability is just what the doctor ordered. At the very least, he won't get bullied.

• Upvote 1

Made up with him today. Absolutely loved how aggressive he was coming for headers from goal kicks. Could have done with him last week against McBurnie. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, El Rojo said:

If he was from Greece we’d be calling him The Greek. 

That’s a very good comparison. I’d take that over calling him Nat ‘Whoosh’ Phillips after a couple of dodgy games.

5 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

That’s a very good comparison. I’d take that over calling him Nat ‘Whoosh’ Phillips after a couple of dodgy games.

Yeah couple of dodgy games he'll be called Natty Dread.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

Robbo giving him a round of applause after the final clearing header.

Well-earned.

That final header was absolutely vital. Could’ve cost us two points in this game had they scored from that corner, and also I reckon it can also be important to our confidence when defending set pieces.

He was good in the air all game, which is so important to this team. The one big chance they had on 1-1, when Robbo blocked it, came from Haller beating Gomez in the air. 

Gomez gifted West Ham their goal with a weak header. West Ham's other two best chances resulted from Gomez's failure to win aerial duals.

Phillips, by contrast, was commanding in the air...

On 19/10/2020 at 23:48, Supremolad said:

There were quotes from Klopp earlier in the year about him being impressed with Phillips' performances on Bundesliga 2. Could have just been mere words though.

It seems he isn't very highly rated because we were looking to loan him out again but couldn't sort out any deals with Championship clubs. Thankfully for him, he's been kept on. Hopefully he takes his chance when it comes and it turns out to be one of Klopp's many unlikely success stories.

Bundesliga 2 brotherhood obviously....

• Upvote 1

Made up for the lad. He got a bit of stick for the first 20 minutes of the cup game against everton which I thought was very harsh. Next week will be a massive test for him if Matip isnt available.

• Upvote 1

‘I think Nat Phillips could be our best performer in this one,’ said absolutely nobody earlier in the week.

Absolutely relishes those aerial battles, doesn’t he? Could see him coming on a lot towards the end of games against certain opposition, even when Matip and Fabinho are back.