You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nathaniel Phillips

Supremolad

37 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I didn't say they thought he wouldn't make an impact. I said they didn't think he'd be a regular. Thommo has talked about this loads of times. That's one quote I found on LFChistory. He was never brought in to be henchoz's partner - I saw one interview with Thompson where he talked about watching him in the Dutch league, how the club had watched him a certain number of times and how he himself went out to see him (can't remember how.often, but certainly.moee than once). He said something like "he didn't put a foot wrong, but he wasn't playing against any kind of quality and we thought he was worth a gamble as we were bringing in henchoz to transform the defence and we could afford to take a chance with a guy who didn't have to make it". Expectations on Sami were really low when he signed. He transformed that quickly, but he was certainly a player football people had questions about - which is where the original point was about Newcastle passing on him. In the same period, we passed on Cristiano Ronaldo. We got lucky with one and clearly not lucky with another. 

Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying.

On an aside, I don't think we passed on Ronaldo. I think United blew us out the water with their bid.

I remember reading about Ged spitting his corn flakes out.

From Thommo as well, I seem to recall.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, m0e said:

Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying.

On an aside, I don't think we passed on Ronaldo. I think United blew us out the water with their bid.

I remember reading about Ged spitting his corn flakes out.

From Thommo as well, I seem to recall.

Again I've seen thommo talk about this a number of times, I'm sure many on here have as it was brought up a lot on soccer Saturday he hasn't been too consistent with the story as I'm sure they all felt a bit silly for letting him pass and wanted to play it down. 

My understanding of it (and I knew a few people close to the club at the time) was around April the year Ronaldo signed for the mancs, his agent had been given the green light to find a club for him and like many of those type of agent driven deals there's a number they all agreed on could be a figure for a deal should the agent find a suitable club. It had been no secret we'd scouted him and because of houlliers history with working with young players he was seen as a safe pair of hands, so us (along with a few other teams) were offered him for £4m. A couple of years before we had signed pongolle and le tallec but had been parked back in le harve - but they had either just arrive or were about to arrive. We felt they were better prospects than Ronaldo, so he'd be behind them getting to the team and we didn't have a lot of money, so 4m on a kid who was unlikely to play was considered too much - I think that summer we spent most of our budget on Harry Kewell. Nobody bit for Ronaldo 1st time around, but they started trying to sell him again once pre-season started. The mancs got wind of it, bypassed the agent, went directly to Sporting and bid a stupid amount and actually blew nobody out of the water as nobody was having him at 4m. 

I think the cornflake story comes from houllier and Thompson finding out watching SSN at melwood. 

• Upvote 1

On 18/04/2021 at 18:39, Paulie Dangerously said:

He'll spend a few years looking great at someone like Burnley sitting on his 18yard line, probably get a couple of England caps before a team like West Ham or Everton take a punt on him and he just looks average. 

He'll have a decent football career and seems like a nice lad. Fair play to him. 

This is probably right. 

22 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

details of all their injuries.

Arsenal injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Kieran Tierney (knee)

Aston Villa injuries

OUT: Jack Grealish (calf – setback), Trezeguet (knee), Morgan Sanson (knee)

Brighton & Hove Albion injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Florin Andone (knee), Percy Tau (fitness) | OUT: Tariq Lamptey (thigh), Solly March (knee)

Burnley injuries

OUT: Robbie Brady (calf), Kevin Long (calf)

Chelsea injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Mateo Kovacic (thigh)

Crystal Palace injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Gary Cahill (undisclosed), Mamadou Sakho (thigh), James Tomkins (head) | OUT: James McArthur (undisclosed), Nathan Ferguson (knee), Connor Wickham (undisclosed)

Everton injuries

OUT: Michael Keane (hamstring), Abdoulaye Doucoure (foot), Jean-Philippe Gbamin (calf)

Fulham injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Kenny Tete (COVID-19) | OUT: Marek Rodak (finger), Tom Cairney (knee), Terence Kongolo (knee)

Leeds United injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Raphinha (thigh), Rodrigo (undisclosed), Helder Costa (back) | OUT: Liam Cooper (suspension), Adam Forshaw (groin)

Leicester City injuries

OUT: Harvey Barnes (knee – out for season), James Justin (knee), Wes Morgan (back)

Liverpool injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Nathaniel Phillips (hamstring) | OUT: Virgil van Dijk (knee – out for season), Joel Matip (ankle – out for season), Joe Gomez (knee – out for season), Jordan Henderson (adductor), Divock Origi (undisclosed), Caoimhin Kelleher (abdomen)

Manchester City injuries

OUT: John Stones (suspension)

Manchester United injuries

OUT: Anthony Martial (knee), Phil Jones (knee)

Newcastle United injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Fabian Schar (fitness) | OUT: Jamaal Lascelles (foot), Ryan Fraser (groin), Joe Willock (loan – parent club), Isaac Hayden (knee), Karl Darlow (knee)

Sheffield United injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Sander Berge (hamstring), Jack Robinson (undisclosed) | OUT: Chris Basham (undisclosed), Jack O’Connell (knee), Billy Sharp (groin), Oliver McBurnie (foot)

Southampton injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Danni Ings (thigh) | OUT: Oriol Romeu (ankle – out for season), Ryan Bertrand (knock), Michael Obafemi (undisclosed), William Smallbone (knee)

Tottenham Hotspur injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Matt Doherty (knock) | OUT: Ben Davies (calf)

West Bromwich Albion injuries

OUT: Branislav Ivanovic (thigh)

West Ham United injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Aaron Cresswell (thigh), Arthur Masuaku (knee) | OUT: Declan Rice (knee), Michail Antonio (hamstring)

Wolverhampton Wanderers injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Joao Moutinho (ankle) | OUT: Raul Jimenez (head), Pedro Neto (knee – out for season), Jonny (knee – out for season), Fernando Marcal (groin)

11 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Arsenal injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Kieran Tierney (knee)

Aston Villa injuries

OUT: Jack Grealish (calf – setback), Trezeguet (knee), Morgan Sanson (knee)

Brighton & Hove Albion injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Florin Andone (knee), Percy Tau (fitness) | OUT: Tariq Lamptey (thigh), Solly March (knee)

Burnley injuries

OUT: Robbie Brady (calf), Kevin Long (calf)

Chelsea injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Mateo Kovacic (thigh)

Crystal Palace injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Gary Cahill (undisclosed), Mamadou Sakho (thigh), James Tomkins (head) | OUT: James McArthur (undisclosed), Nathan Ferguson (knee), Connor Wickham (undisclosed)

Everton injuries

OUT: Michael Keane (hamstring), Abdoulaye Doucoure (foot), Jean-Philippe Gbamin (calf)

Fulham injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Kenny Tete (COVID-19) | OUT: Marek Rodak (finger), Tom Cairney (knee), Terence Kongolo (knee)

Leeds United injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Raphinha (thigh), Rodrigo (undisclosed), Helder Costa (back) | OUT: Liam Cooper (suspension), Adam Forshaw (groin)

Leicester City injuries

OUT: Harvey Barnes (knee – out for season), James Justin (knee), Wes Morgan (back)

Liverpool injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Nathaniel Phillips (hamstring) | OUT: Virgil van Dijk (knee – out for season), Joel Matip (ankle – out for season), Joe Gomez (knee – out for season), Jordan Henderson (adductor), Divock Origi (undisclosed), Caoimhin Kelleher (abdomen)

Manchester City injuries

OUT: John Stones (suspension)

Manchester United injuries

OUT: Anthony Martial (knee), Phil Jones (knee)

Newcastle United injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Fabian Schar (fitness) | OUT: Jamaal Lascelles (foot), Ryan Fraser (groin), Joe Willock (loan – parent club), Isaac Hayden (knee), Karl Darlow (knee)

Sheffield United injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Sander Berge (hamstring), Jack Robinson (undisclosed) | OUT: Chris Basham (undisclosed), Jack O’Connell (knee), Billy Sharp (groin), Oliver McBurnie (foot)

Southampton injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Danni Ings (thigh) | OUT: Oriol Romeu (ankle – out for season), Ryan Bertrand (knock), Michael Obafemi (undisclosed), William Smallbone (knee)

Tottenham Hotspur injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Matt Doherty (knock) | OUT: Ben Davies (calf)

West Bromwich Albion injuries

OUT: Branislav Ivanovic (thigh)

West Ham United injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Aaron Cresswell (thigh), Arthur Masuaku (knee) | OUT: Declan Rice (knee), Michail Antonio (hamstring)

Wolverhampton Wanderers injuries

QUESTIONABLE: Joao Moutinho (ankle) | OUT: Raul Jimenez (head), Pedro Neto (knee – out for season), Jonny (knee – out for season), Fernando Marcal (groin)

tenor-1.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2021 at 12:31, Bjornebye said:

Yep your spot on mate. My mistake 

Edit: Just noticed that I'm responding to a discussion from 4 weeks ago so sorry if I'm confusing people.

Because of Henchoz's injury Carragher stared CB with Sami and Heggem and Matteo were the full backs.

Matteo was LB for most of the season expect for a period where Staunton played well in a league Cup game and stayed in for a bit.

Heggem started the season RB, got injured and Song played there for a bit but when Henchoz came in Carragher moved over and won the RB slot.