Quantcast
Nathaniel Phillips - Page 15 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Supremolad

Nathaniel Phillips

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, m0e said:

You called it with Davies. Its actually unbelievable how bad we handled this.

It didn't need me to call it, I just listened to klopp. Klopp actually said it in the press release or when interviewed when we signed him. He was there in case the current centre backs got injured - which at the time was Williams and Phillips. It's just so many people on this forum are so desperate for fsg not be cunts, they all refused to listen to klopps words, it was impossible he was here to be flipped and not play. They're cunts who serve nothing but their own agenda all of the time. That agenda has fuck all to do with what happens on the pitch and 100% to do with them making money with the minimum amount of risk. Obviously sometimes both of those collide, but that's an accident of needing increase the asset value and not a design of wanting to be the best football team we can be. 

 

I remember too the reaction of Mark Lawrenson, who still watches Preston. He was asked was Davies good enough - he response was a catagoric no, he laughed and said he was not even one of Preston's better players. The fucking state we were in in January (and before) and we bring in a deadline day player to be behind Rhys Williams. It's genuinely shocking the complete disregard for what was happening on the pitch. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

The thing is we don't know what Klopps instructions are when it comes to runner going through different zones, does he want them to track the runner or is he telling the players to pass the player off to the man in the zone?

Are we not completely zonal from a defensive point of view? I don't really recall us ever employing man marking, even just picking a single player to man mark. The only exception I can think is we do half and half on corners. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Are we not completely zonal from a defensive point of view? I don't really recall us ever employing man marking, even just picking a single player to man mark. The only exception I can think is we do half and half on corners

No wonder we concede if our players are serving budget Chinese meals.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/04/2021 at 11:44, Barrington Womble said:

It didn't need me to call it, I just listened to klopp. Klopp actually said it in the press release or when interviewed when we signed him. He was there in case the current centre backs got injured - which at the time was Williams and Phillips. It's just so many people on this forum are so desperate for fsg not be cunts, they all refused to listen to klopps words, it was impossible he was here to be flipped and not play. They're cunts who serve nothing but their own agenda all of the time. That agenda has fuck all to do with what happens on the pitch and 100% to do with them making money with the minimum amount of risk. Obviously sometimes both of those collide, but that's an accident of needing increase the asset value and not a design of wanting to be the best football team we can be. 

 

I remember too the reaction of Mark Lawrenson, who still watches Preston. He was asked was Davies good enough - he response was a catagoric no, he laughed and said he was not even one of Preston's better players. The fucking state we were in in January (and before) and we bring in a deadline day player to be behind Rhys Williams. It's genuinely shocking the complete disregard for what was happening on the pitch. 

I agree. But to be fair when Lawrenson was at Newcastle as defensive coach they had Sami on trial and he said he wasn’t good enough. Seems he might have got one right at last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I agree. But to be fair when Lawrenson was at Newcastle as defensive coach they had Sami on trial and he said he wasn’t good enough. Seems he might have got one right at last.

Well maybe Sami is one of those players. Thommo is also on record of saying we bought Sami as backup and never thought he'd be a regular, henchoz got injured and Sami played every week and the rest his history and once henchoz got fit he played with Sami and not instead of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well maybe Sami is one of those players. Thommo is also on record of saying we bought Sami as backup and never thought he'd be a regular, henchoz got injured and Sami played every week and the rest his history and once henchoz got fit he played with Sami and not instead of him. 

Indeed Baz,indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With hindsight Klopp made a huge error going with Williams ahead of Phillips. He's still rough around the edges but he's improving game by game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He'd be ok if he had some pace.

 

Sadly he has none and pace can't be trained in.

 

Decent, honest defender - but far too slow to play at the very top of the top level for us....could have a decent career playing for a lower mid table low block team.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Probably his last ever game in the CL.

For us because we won't qualify and there will be a bidding war between Bayern, Barcelona, and Everton? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Feel sorry for the lad, played well tonight, hardly put a foot wrong and he's got more on the ball than given credit for. 

 

Probably his last ever game in the CL.

His ability on the ball is one of the most pleasant surprises about him. Not van Dijk level of ball playing but good enough to not look out of place in a team like ours.

 

When I started this thread, I was just thinking it would be nice if we could get a couple good performances out of him because he was a likeable fella. Now, I believe he has actually done more than enough to merit 4th CB spot next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Now, I believe he has actually done more than enough to merit 4th CB spot next season.

Depends on who’ll be second and third CB next season. Because if it’s Gomez and Matip, that means he’d be starting most games next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was scared a few times when he ended up on the ball in their half but apart from one Hendo 2015 ball into the box he did well. Unless you're a top quality CB your job is to get rid and he's got that in abundance. I think he's boss. First choice, no not even 3rd when all fit but fucking hell why didn't he play earlier in the season. He got MoM in his first full league game ffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

His ability on the ball is one of the most pleasant surprises about him. Not van Dijk level of ball playing but good enough to not look out of place in a team like ours.

 

When I started this thread, I was just thinking it would be nice if we could get a couple good performances out of him because he was a likeable fella. Now, I believe he has actually done more than enough to merit 4th CB spot next season.

Yes I've been surprised at how his passing has come on , and he occasionally breaks the line too. Kabak has been decent too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/04/2021 at 07:26, Barrington Womble said:

Well maybe Sami is one of those players. Thommo is also on record of saying we bought Sami as backup and never thought he'd be a regular, henchoz got injured and Sami played every week and the rest his history and once henchoz got fit he played with Sami and not instead of him. 

That's not how I remember it at all.

 

Who started with Henchoz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont remember Hyypia ever being bought as a back up. We needed a tall,dominant centre half and Sami fit the bill perfectly. Still remember him as a class act and the fact VvD was an improvement is mind blowing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, m0e said:

That's not how I remember it at all.

 

Who started with Henchoz?

Henchoz didn't start the season, he came with an injury (weird I think I can remember a hernia and I can't even remember what day it is today half the time). Sami played but he played as henchozs replacement (even though henchoz had never played for us). Thommo talks about it in his book that they just weren't sure about Sami, thought he'd be useful backup as they knew he could head a ball. But Sami did brilliantly - I can't remember who Sami started the season with, Song maybe? So those who remember Sami playing from the start are dead right, because he did. But we didn't buy him to fill that role, that was no more than fortune. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Henchoz didn't start the season, he came with an injury (weird I think I can remember a hernia and I can't even remember what day it is today half the time). Sami played but he played as henchozs replacement (even though henchoz had never played for us). Thommo talks about it in his book that they just weren't sure about Sami, thought he'd be useful backup as they knew he could head a ball. But Sami did brilliantly - I can't remember who Sami started the season with, Song maybe? So those who remember Sami playing from the start are dead right, because he did. But we didn't buy him to fill that role, that was no more than fortune. 

Hyppia, Henchoz and Song all started on Sami’s debut 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×