You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nathaniel Phillips

Supremolad

Kabak will cost £18m. I reckon Phillips has played his way to Moysie or Dyche for 18m. Question is which of two would you prefer to have? Kabak looks like he could be a classier player long term but he will be never be dominant in the air. I'd probably just choose Phillips but one concern I would have is he looks the type that would need a handful of games to get up to speed when in reality we only ever want him playing 1 or 2 per season.

37 minutes ago, No2 said:

Kabak will cost £18m. I reckon Phillips has played his way to Moysie or Dyche for 18m. Question is which of two would you prefer to have? Kabak looks like he could be a classier player long term but he will be never be dominant in the air. I'd probably just choose Phillips but one concern I would have is he looks the type that would need a handful of games to get up to speed when in reality we only ever want him playing 1 or 2 per season.

Room for both if we decide to have five CBs next season as extra cover. 

8 hours ago, No2 said:

You taking the piss?

Kabak looks to have potential. His first few games were crap, more recently he has looked decent. Overall, he hasn't looked out of place, which is excellent for a 20 year old in the centre of defense for a club as big as we are. I'd say 18m sounds about right, and then I'd give it just better than 50/50 odds it's seen as a successful move in a few years.

What can you really say about Phillips? I'm enjoying his little patch of decent play, and I desperately hope he gets us to a CL final, but let's be honest, he's never anywhere near good enough to play for us. I think a few clean sheets, headers and some awesome displays from Fabinho have rather made people forget his level a bit. He never stood out in our U23s, he didn't really look that great in the Bundesliga 2, and to be honest, if we hadn't had this massive injury crisis, he'd never have played for us in an important game.

I think the cult-hero thing is fun, but it's moved from people obviously taking the piss about giving him the Balon D'Or to where people are now suggesting (I think genuinely?) that he's worth 18m and it's all a bit unfair to him. He's going to end up in the Championship for 2m, he'll have a decent career for himself and always remember that year when he got to play for the league champions because of a bizarre set of circumstances. Don't go heaping expectations on him like he's going to be sold for 18m or play in the Premier League consistently or anything.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

You taking the piss?

Kabak looks to have potential. His first few games were crap, more recently he has looked decent. Overall, he hasn't looked out of place, which is excellent for a 20 year old in the centre of defense for a club as big as we are. I'd say 18m sounds about right, and then I'd give it just better than 50/50 odds it's seen as a successful move in a few years.

What can you really say about Phillips? I'm enjoying his little patch of decent play, and I desperately hope he gets us to a CL final, but let's be honest, he's never anywhere near good enough to play for us. I think a few clean sheets, headers and some awesome displays from Fabinho have rather made people forget his level a bit. He never stood out in our U23s, he didn't really look that great in the Bundesliga 2, and to be honest, if we hadn't had this massive injury crisis, he'd never have played for us in an important game.

I think the cult-hero thing is fun, but it's moved from people obviously taking the piss about giving him the Balon D'Or to where people are now suggesting (I think genuinely?) that he's worth 18m and it's all a bit unfair to him. He's going to end up in the Championship for 2m, he'll have a decent career for himself and always remember that year when he got to play for the league champions because of a bizarre set of circumstances. Don't go heaping expectations on him like he's going to be sold for 18m or play in the Premier League consistently or anything.

There are about 4  managers in the division that play football suited to Phillips game. You think he couldn't do what Ben Mee or Craig Dawson does? He will never be good enough to play regularly us but has earned himself a career in the PL with his performances. If he was satisfied he could have a Klavin role, late substitute to defend a goal lead in injury time.

Kabak and Phillips stay. By the end of the season we will have invested heavily in them in terms of game time and coaching and to scrap that I think would be foolish.   Question is whether we keep Matip or bring in a replacement.  Planning to retain 5 CB's at this point is essential imo given we have no idea how reliable Gomez is going to be or even if Virg is going to get back up to speed quickly. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

You taking the piss?

Jairzinho

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

What happened to the other player we signed from Preston?. Was he a real person/does he exist?

I half expected him to play on Saturday having had 2 solid weeks to work with Alisson, Phillips, Trent and Fabinho. Turns out he doesn't exist, he was a trade in stocks we intended flipping on June 1st for treble the purchase cost. I hope he's on board with this because it must he really shit for him.

6 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

What can you really say about Phillips? I'm enjoying his little patch of decent play, and I desperately hope he gets us to a CL final, but let's be honest, he's never anywhere near good enough to play for us.

He is playing for us.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, magicrat said:

Kabak and Phillips stay. By the end of the season we will have invested heavily in them in terms of game time and coaching and to scrap that I think would be foolish.   Question is whether we keep Matip or bring in a replacement.  Planning to retain 5 CB's at this point is essential imo given we have no idea how reliable Gomez is going to be or even if Virg is going to get back up to speed quickly. 

I would not be surprised if Klopp was happy to keep him here. I think he'd expect the intensity of our training to keep him sharp enough to step in if needed. I think he's more likely to want to move, after getting a run of games and showing he's good enough its probably his big chance to move with the expectation to step right into a side at a good level, with a good wage. If he finds the right club he'll have a really good career ahead of him.

If he disappears back into the reserves who knows?

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Jairzinho

Well I'm convinced anyway. 

Screenshot_20210406-145338_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yeah, as have been said on here numerous times, he lacks the pace to play in our side with the high line we employ. Dominant in the air, but hopeless when running towards his own goal like today. No surprises here. Glad he's had his good run of form in the PL, but not a CB we should be playing unless in the LC/FACups.

Guest Alex_K

He's better than Rhys Williams, but he's probably worse than every other centre backs to have any meaningful number of games for the club in the past 20 years. Serious Klavan/Kyrgiakos territory - it would be close between the 3. Trying to play the way we do with the full-backs either side is simply suicide against a half decent team.

The '05 winning side, for whatever faults it had, knew its limitations and had Hyypia + Carragher in imperious form at the back. We've been trying to go hell for leather almost exactly the same way as if we're not missing the greatest centre back in world football.

32 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

He's better than Rhys Williams, but he's probably worse than every other centre backs to have any meaningful number of games for the club in the past 20 years. Serious Klavan/Kyrgiakos territory - it would be close between the 3. Trying to play the way we do with the full-backs either side is simply suicide against a half decent team.

The '05 winning side, for whatever faults it had, knew its limitations and had Hyypia + Carragher in imperious form at the back. We've been trying to go hell for leather almost exactly the same way as if we're not missing the greatest centre back in world football.

Kabak's no great shakes, either - but he will cost an extra £18m if we sign him. Nat is a good 5th choice behind VVD, Gomez, (Caleta-Car, Ajer etc). Kabak isn't worth the money - he has Dejan-like palsy in stressful games.