You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nathaniel Phillips

Supremolad

1 hour ago, Crazy Dave said:

A few of the journo's saying that Phillips will be allowed to leave this summer. 

Find that a bit strange given 3 centre backs are returning from long-term injury. Why not keep him around until January at least? 

Maybe he's being allowed to leave because he is interested in seeing what's available?

Can't say I blame the lad in seeing if he can get a starting role for a decent level club rather than potential 5th choice here.

• Upvote 1

What a mad shout from Code. Just coming back to read it. What the actual fuck?

So playing Phillips was a factor in Mane and Firmino failing to put away numerous chances in the 2nd half of the season ? Even his beloved Salah wasnt above missing some clear chances. Jota who had been clinical even started missing numerous good chances too. That Phillips fella must have really put a jinx on all of them, causing us as a team to have a low conversion rate.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Supremolad said:

What a mad shout from Code. Just coming back to read it. What the actual fuck?

So playing Phillips was a factor in Mane and Firmino failing to put away numerous chances in the 2nd half of the season ? Even his beloved Salah wasnt above missing some clear chances. Jota who had been clinical even started missing numerous good chances too. That Phillips fella must have really put a jinx on all of them, causing us as a team to have a low conversion rate.

Salah had a good season but you can always rely on him missing some clear cut chances. I’d say the loss of Virge affected Mane. Virge played it real quick from the back and Mane was often the benefactor of that. 

If you’re a scouser, free transfer or come through the ranks and play your heart out every week putting others to shame then you haven’t got a chance with our none scouse fan base. 

Come in from Germany and do a few karate kicks while doing fuck all on the pitch or cost over £50 mill and do nothing for 3 years or be a stop gap centre half who can’t run or read the flight of the ball and get subbed in your last few games and then get bombed out then you’re an all time great with this lot. 

• Downvote 3

The two footed gobshite is that cunt Dave Hendrick. Have a read of his posts. Absolutely sickening. A lot of our fans from the emerald isle are making a show of us lately and could do with being reigned in with a visit from the boys. 

On 26/05/2021 at 13:08, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's getting pretty tiresome hearing how Nat Phillips isn't good enough to play for Liverpool despite winning 8 league matches on the bounce playing for Liverpool. Reminds me a little of another moderately paced, unshowy, limited centre half; one who wasn't deemed good enough to represent his country at international level, yet captained his side to multiple league titles. Not every successful centre back has to be a Virgil or a Rio or a Baresi; sometimes they're a Steve Bruce.

How very daring of you to post something that is filled with genuine common sense and is utterly praiseworthy. 

Nat Phillips will be delighted. 

One of the things I love most is where someone or something triumphs in the face of adversity. Being astute in the transfer market is great but, nothing beats a situation where someone is a virtually nobody \ surplus to requirements \ deemed not worthy and yet makes a hugh impact and success of things.

I dislike that many seem to think the only way to be successful in football is just spend, spend, then spend more. If I subscribed to that ethos, Id be a fan of city, chelsea, PSG, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

So I think it's great players like Nat come through and do as good a job as anyone else costing £40m-£60m. To some, Nat will never be good enough because they think every defender has to be quicker than the quickest footballers, not to mention being 'perfect.' And they dont need to be. They just need to have a good football brain, a sense of positioning and do what is expected.

Ive lost count of the number of times van Dijk has made a mistake or been beaten by an opponent. There's nothing wrong with van Dijk or Matip or Gomez making mistakes. It's part and parcel of football.

Whether Nat decides to move on in 12 months time or not not remains to be seen. I still think he'll get game time next season because van Dijk and Gomez will be eased back and not overburdened.

I think Nat has been one of the true successes of our season.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

One of the things I love most is where someone or something triumphs in the face of adversity. Being astute in the transfer market is great but, nothing beats a situation where someone is a virtually nobody \ surplus to requirements \ deemed not worthy and yet makes a hugh impact and success of things.

I dislike that many seem to think the only way to be successful in football is just spend, spend, then spend more. If I subscribed to that ethos, Id be a fan of city, chelsea, PSG, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

So I think it's great players like Nat come through and do as good a job as anyone else costing £40m-£60m. To some, Nat will never be good enough because they think every defender has to be quicker than the quickest footballers, not to mention being 'perfect.' And they dont need to be. They just need to have a good football brain, a sense of positioning and do what is expected.

Ive lost count of the number of times van Dijk has made a mistake or been beaten by an opponent. There's nothing wrong with van Dijk or Matip or Gomez making mistakes. It's part and parcel of football.

Whether Nat decides to move on in 12 months time or not not remains to be seen. I still think he'll get game time next season because van Dijk and Gomez will be eased back and not overburdened.

So very nice to read that. Nat is a much better player than he's given credit for.

The tune is always "over performing etc". I don't subscribe to that point of view. He's an excellent reader of the game, his posiitoning is top class. All he really lacks is pace.

• Upvote 2

On 01/06/2021 at 02:28, Red74 said:

If you’re a scouser, free transfer or come through the ranks and play your heart out every week putting others to shame then you haven’t got a chance with our none scouse fan base. 

Come in from Germany and do a few karate kicks while doing fuck all on the pitch or cost over £50 mill and do nothing for 3 years or be a stop gap centre half who can’t run or read the flight of the ball and get subbed in your last few games and then get bombed out then you’re an all time great with this lot. 

Don’t be a bellend.

On 01/06/2021 at 02:28, Red74 said:

That's very strange take on things

Were you drunk? 

15 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Genuinely can’t understand why any Red would pay attention to anyone holding the opposite view to this.