You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nathaniel Phillips

Supremolad

8 minutes ago, m0e said:

Flanagan missed the entire 2014-15 season through injury.

This myth that his form in 2014 was a flash in the pan is complete bollocks.

He was awesome in almost every game.

He just never recovered from that injury, sadly.

Really?

I loved the Flanno love at the time, but we wasn't really ever that good.   

Nat stepped up when we needed him most, thrown in at the deep end and he did a tremendous job. He deserves all the praise he’s getting.

I’ve no issues keeping him around next year, his lack of pace means he’s not best suited to the high line we play to be a regular starter when our centre backs return.  

I think it will come down to him what happens going forward, does he want regular football or is he happy getting a few games here and there, fitness depending. Either way, I think Jurgen will support his decision. If he wants to stay on he’ll be happy to keep him or allow him to leave with best wishes if he wants to.  There will be plenty of takers.

I think people are making a bit too much of the high line thing with Phillips. For a start, stick Gomez or Van Dijk next to him and his own recovery pace is less of an issue. But he's not the slowest player I've ever seen when he gets going, while he's not going to catch up to the likes of Vinicius or Mbappe or Sterling if he gives them a yard, he's not totally out of the picture over 40 yards either. I've seen slower players than Phillips have decent careers at the top level. Sami Hyypia for one.

He's a bit slow on the turn and over the first 5 yards or so, but if he gets smart enough to figure out when to drop and when to hold the line it's possible he never has to run a 40 yard dash against anyone, especially if our pressing in front of him stops opponents playing balls into his channel. Would be interesting to see if he did any better as the left sided centre back with Robbo covering in behind, I love Trent as a player but he's not the defender Robbo is.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Cult heroes are for seasons we don't win anything.

river?version=4623795&width=1340

People saying we’ll never get more money for Nat now than we ever will again. Put it this way, if someone gave us £18m for him and we spent that on Kabak, would you be happy? I wouldn’t, I’d rather have Nat. The home grown thing is a real bonus too. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

I think people are making a bit too much of the high line thing with Phillips. For a start, stick Gomez or Van Dijk next to him and his own recovery pace is less of an issue. But he's not the slowest player I've ever seen when he gets going, while he's not going to catch up to the likes of Vinicius or Mbappe or Sterling if he gives them a yard, he's not totally out of the picture over 40 yards either. I've seen slower players than Phillips have decent careers at the top level. Sami Hyypia for one.

He's a bit slow on the turn and over the first 5 yards or so, but if he gets smart enough to figure out when to drop and when to hold the line it's possible he never has to run a 40 yard dash against anyone, especially if our pressing in front of him stops opponents playing balls into his channel. Would be interesting to see if he did any better as the left sided centre back with Robbo covering in behind, I love Trent as a player but he's not the defender Robbo is.

Sami Hyypia was Usain Bolt compared to Phillips. And a hundred times the player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mohamed Salah has been voted Liverpool's Standard Chartered Men's Player of the Season for 2020-21 by supporters.

The forward scooped the accolade following a poll on this website, with Fabinho in second place and Nathaniel Phillips finishing third.

27 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Mohamed Salah has been voted Liverpool's Standard Chartered Men's Player of the Season for 2020-21 by supporters.

The forward scooped the accolade following a poll on this website, with Fabinho in second place and Nathaniel Phillips finishing third.

My vote did count then. Get in. 

If we put him in for sale for £8-10m would any team in the top half of the table buy him? Maybe Moyes would. 

He would be a good 5th choice CB here and may get a few games next season with Van Dijk and Gomez recovering and Matip missing his regular amount.

I think he will want to play though and hopefully he moves to a solid Premier League club and has a great career. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Razoray said:

If we put him in for sale for £8-10m would any team in the top half of the table buy him? Maybe Moyes would. 

He would be a good 5th choice CB here and may get a few games next season with Van Dijk and Gomez recovering and Matip missing his regular amount.

I think he will want to play though and hopefully he moves to a solid Premier League club and has a great career. 

That is the thing for me, his value. 

If he was at another club and we were meant to be looking at him for 4th/5th choice, who would think it was a good idea and how much would we want to pay?

The obvious would be, too slow, doesn't suit our style and/but if we are only paying 2-4 million then fine but no more. 

The argument could be, he has proven he can fit onto our system and another team buying him would want him as 1st choice so would be prepared to pay more.  

The fact he knows our system and I don't believe he would fetch much money if sold makes me think we should keep him. However if he wants to go, then we should facilitate that wish. 

10 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Sami was a great player and much better than Nat Phillips, I'm not disputing that at all. But there's no way he was winning a foot race against anyone.

Did the team he was asked to play in employ a really high defensive line where pace was essential?

If Phillips doesn't play next season then that's a result, the 4 ahead of him have stayed fit and played well. He's the best 5th choice CB we have ever had. Treat Matip and Phillips as one player. You could sell them and get 20m and save 120k in wages but that would all be swallowed up by one replacement. We then have one player instead of 2 and all the risks that come with any new signing.

It's getting pretty tiresome hearing how Nat Phillips isn't good enough to play for Liverpool despite winning 8 league matches on the bounce playing for Liverpool. Reminds me a little of another moderately paced, unshowy, limited centre half; one who wasn't deemed good enough to represent his country at international level, yet captained his side to multiple league titles. Not every successful centre back has to be a Virgil or a Rio or a Baresi; sometimes they're a Steve Bruce.

• Upvote 9