You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nathaniel Phillips

Supremolad

11 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

It's getting a bit Rodgers like this thread...

Not enough talking about Nat Phillips for my liking.

Need to get back on track.

I like Nat Phillips, he always looks like he's trying to burst the ball with his head.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think the systems are pretty similar, they are all high energy and pressing at their best. How the triangles in the midfield and forwards are shaped is the difference. The two German sides for the most part are playing a midfield three with two deep and their forward three with the CF at the tip.

We do the opposite.

Ok, I'll play along a little longer.

Attached are the formations that won Bayern the CL and that Klopp used in his most successful Dortmund teams.

The formations are clearly different to what he's done here since his second season.

It's the same set up we had in his first year here, with Milner and Lallana wide of Firmino and Origi in the 9.

Klopp hasn't even deployed the same tactics here in his 5 years. The same philosophy, maybe. The same set up (largely) since he signed Salah.

It went from a 4-2-3-1 (as attached) to a 4-3-3 (as we have now).

Not a different pivot. A different formation altogether. Different roles for the fullbacks. Different roles for the midfielders. Different roles for the #9.

It's a 4 3 3.

That's NOT what Bayern do, or what Dortmund did.

If you're suggesting high-press is a 'system', then fair enough.

That's not the point.

The point is, in those formations, Bobby doesn't play the 9. Bobby couldn't play the 9.

That's the point.

Dortmund23.png

2034402.jpg

4-2-3-1-bayern-munich-hansi-flick-2019-20.png

1164912_imgw968.jpg

7 minutes ago, dave u said:

Not enough talking about Nat Phillips for my liking.

Need to get back on track.

I like Nat Phillips, he always looks like he's trying to burst the ball with his head.

Agreed. On all counts.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, m0e said:

Attached are the formations that won Bayern the CL and that Klopp used in his most successful Dortmund teams.

The formations are clearly different to what he's done here since his second season.

It's the same set up we had in his first year here, with Milner and Lallana wide of Firmino and Origi in the 9.

Klopp hasn't even deployed the same tactics here in his 5 years. The same philosophy, maybe. The same set up (largely) since he signed Salah.

Not a different pivot. A different formation altogether. Different roles for the fullbacks. Different roles for the midfielders. Different roles for the #9.

It's a 4 3 3.

That's not the point.

The point is, in those formations, Bobby doesn't play the 9. Bobby couldn't play the 9.

That's the point.

Dortmund23.png

2034402.jpg

1164912_imgw968.jpg

I think you are agreeing with me - Muller is the tip of that midfield triangle (Muller-Thiago-Kimmich) - so is Reus.

Mane covers exactly the same (probably more) as Gnabry/Grosskreutz.

We just flip the front triangle playing Firmino deepest and putting Salah furthest forward on the left - Mane slightly less so right. And we cover the midfield in the same way.

The same philosophy, maybe. The same set up (largely) since he signed Salah.

This is correct - the whole thing is designed to get Salah running at their defense in an open/counter situation, many times breaking out of what is really a 4-5-1 - which is how we stack up most of the time, especially in the league. It is very rare that Firmino is pressing as the furthest man forward for any length of time and it does not matter if you call Salah wide right or CF - he is furthest forward. I think Salah, positionally is alot like Thierry Henry but from the right. Our midfielders drop too deep with a single pivot anyway for my liking, god forbid we had two back there.

5 hours ago, m0e said:

It's a 4 3 3.

That's not the point.

That's the point.

Dortmund23.png

2034402.jpg

1164912_imgw968.jpg

The Dortmund part of this just shows Klopp can expertly create systems that suit the players he has. Once he saw he had Firmino to play centrally, he got two wide attackers to complement him. If we had a "proper #9" worthy of building around (not Christian Benteke) we'd have looked more like that Dortmund formation. Unless there's a striker available that represents exceptional value in the transfer market or Klopp doesn't think the Firmino, Salah, Mane thing woks anymore, we'll probably just carry on with the setup we already have. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is interesting that opposition teams often want to target Phillips as soon as he gets on the ball early in the match. However, they soon realise that he actually is decent with his feet and give up on that plan by halftime. Happened again with Arsenal yesterday.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

It is interesting that opposition teams often want to target Phillips as soon as he gets on the ball early in the match. However, they soon realise that he actually is decent with his feet and give up on that plan by halftime. Happened again with Arsenal yesterday.

Although true, Arsenal’s press was somewhat half arsed. 

Just look at Jota charging down their keeper prior to one of our goals last night (I can’t remember which). Despite never having a chance of winning it, Jota put everything into that press.

Can’t say Arsenal put in the same intensity at all.

Phillips still played well though. I liked him wandering forwards towards the end and fizzing a cross behind everybody!

I thought he was bit clumsier on the ball to what he has been, even though he's far better (generally speaking) than I gave him credit for.

Nearly got caught out once or twice, and had a poor header that nearly put them in at the end.

A solid 7/10 though, and won absolutely everything in the air.

Him at the near post in corners also means the opposition are no longer much of a threat from them.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, m0e said:

I thought he was bit clumsier on the ball to what he has been, even though he's far better (generally speaking) than I gave him credit for.

Nearly got caught out once or twice, and had a poor header that nearly put them in at the end.

A solid 7/10 though, and won absolutely everything in the air.

Him at the near post in corners also means the opposition are no longer much of a threat from them.

Really? I thought he had a very good game. Lacazette actually fouled him but because he screamed like a girl and had a small cut, the ref gave him the foul.

42 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Really? I thought he had a very good game. Lacazette actually fouled him but because he screamed like a girl and had a small cut, the ref gave him the foul.

He did have a good game. He was also a little more casual on the ball than he has been, and nearly got caught out once or twice.

Little details.

Mad how people see the game differently, I thought that was the most progressive he has been with his passing. I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of his passing before last night had been to Trent, Kabak and Alisson. Last night he was firing passes into Mo and Bobby, repeatedly trying to thread them between the lines.

The lad’s not a World class centre back, we all know that, but he’s looking a very capable and more consistent centre back than Lovren and he’s very good in the air, which is a real bonus against grock teams that rely on corners and free kicks to steal points against us.

It’ll be a big step up against Benzema on Tuesday, but he and Kabak are what we have and we’ll have to hope that the lads get well protected from midfield.

It’ll help if our esteemed forwards weigh in with a few goals too, as I think Real might collapse if we stuck a couple past them.

16 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

The lad’s not a World class centre back, we all know that, but he’s looking a very capable and more consistent centre back than Lovren and he’s very good in the air, which is a real bonus against grock teams that rely on corners and free kicks to steal points against us.

It’ll be a big step up against Benzema on Tuesday, but he and Kabak are what we have and we’ll have to hope that the lads get well protected from midfield.

It’ll help if our esteemed forwards weigh in with a few goals too, as I think Real might collapse if we stuck a couple past them.

I think Benzema is the reason Gini was rested against arsenal, I think Klopp plans to smother their midfield and stop the supply line. Gini and Fab are the basis of that.

• Upvote 1

There were a couple of mistakes against Arsenal. He got caught in possession trying to dribble out of defence in the first half which led to the Pepe header at the back post - would have been ruled out for offside in the build up though i think. Then second half he chased Aubameyang out wide, leaving space for Cedric to cut in and have a shot that was easily saved by Alisson.

Not having a go at the lad at all, Lovren used to make that many mistakes in two minutes let alone 90. It's just two things he can improve on next time out. I don't think we'll be having Trent as high up as we used to when Nat's playing right centre back though.

34 minutes ago, Caramac said:

@m0e

My imac died (again), As its a nine yr old computer now l don’t think l can be arsed trying to fix it again so l’m looking at getting something else, possibly a new mac mini.

So, no gifs for the foreseeable unfortunately.

Sorry to hear

• Upvote 1