You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nathaniel Phillips

Supremolad

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

He's solid and doesn't try to be somethig that he isn't. A good honest pro and he had a decent game. I would say he's shown that he is good enough to play occasionally but it could be tough viewing if he was up against a top team. At the very least, if he can help Big Bird rest like today. I actually would rest Matip against Ajax as well and have him ready for Wolves, but that seems unlikely. 

Fabinho will likely be back in midfield because of the injury crisis, won’t He ?

9 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Fabinho will likely be back in midfield because of the injury crisis, won’t He ?

I would keep him where he is. Him and Matip are both top class and Philips has shown he's decent enough to cover certain games be it for either of them. 

With Thiago, Ox, Keita and Shaq coming back in the coming weeks, we have a few more options in midfield. Hendo and Gini will need rest in a few games because they are gigantic players for us.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I would keep him where he is. Him and Matip are both top class and Philips has shown he's decent enough to cover certain games be it for either of them. 

With Thiago, Ox, Keita and Shaq coming back in the coming weeks, we have a few more options in midfield. Hendo and Gini will need rest in a few games because they are gigantic players for us.

Jurgen's said in the last couple of hours neither Thiago nor Ox will be available for Ajax or Wolves. I dont know what the position is with Shaq but Naby's defo out for more games?

Jurgen's going to have to put a weaker side out against Ajax and hope the regulars have recovered for the away game in Denmark. If he needs to make changes during the Ajax game, then he needs to use the young lads rather than rested first team regulars.

Hopefully we'll be in better shape then for Wolves. If I was Jurgen, Id also tell the players to shout their fucking heads off for every debatable tackle or 'handball' in the box during league games after today's shitfest, put the ref under pressure during the game and make him answer the question. Seems the only way nowadays to get the refs to notice.

4 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

So if we still had Dejan you would be selecting Phillips over him, is that what you're saying?

Lovren should be a better player by any kind of stats or reputation.

But I think Phillips has been far better in the games he’s played this season than Lovren was in his last couple of seasons for us.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Heard someone say Klopp had said Thiago won't be back 'anytime soon'

That right?

Not exactly. He was asked if they'd be back any time soon and he said "what does any time soon mean?" James Pearce then said "the next two games" and Klopp said in that case no they won't be available.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, sir roger said:

I'm sure they will have give  him vids of Sami to work on. He will be fine.

Sami is second only to Hansen as the best defender in this club's amazing history.

Not sure I'd want to draw that comparison for a 5th choice just finding his feet.

Even though he wins every header, most of them go straight back to the opposition, and he's not quick or mobile enough to recover.

In other words, his main (and probably only) attribute comes with a massive disclaimer.

He'll clear a hell of a lot of corners at the near post though, so when Matip is unavailable, he may be needed more than I'd like.

• 2 months later...

Can’t understand how this lad gets any criticism at all. 

Hasn’t put a foot wrong when he’s played, has played in this positions all his life and has had to watch midfielders get played in front of him and a poor import getting excuses made for his fuck ups yet some of our lot talk as if we’ve got Dejan after a few stripes causing havoc for us. 

• Upvote 1