You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nathaniel Phillips

Supremolad

At 23 years old, he really should be the one pushing to step up as a center back option in van Dijk's absence.

Here's hoping he turns out to be Baresi and Maldini rolled in one. Alternatively, we'll settle for him being a taller version of the legend called Ragnar Klavan.

I reckon it is fair to say that at closer to 24 than he is 23 with about 20 career first team starts to his name (most of them in the 2nd tier of German football) that he isn't much cop.

Was he even picked for Ingerlund at the various younger age groups?

He's a Championship level player, but at least he's physically developed and can play a man's game. He's also much more experienced than Koumetio, Williams and Van den Berg.

I'd trust him far more than the other three, as experience is vital in that position as he has more than all of the others. Wouldn't want him playing against any quick, skilful forwards but he'd be fine against some of the long ball teams we face in the league. 

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, dave u said:

He's a Championship level player, but at least he's physically developed and can play a man's game. He's also much more experienced than Koumetio, Williams and Van den Berg.

I'd trust him far more than the other three, as experience is vital in that position as he has more than all of the others. Wouldn't want him playing against any quick, skilful forwards but he'd be fine against some of the long ball teams we face in the league. 

That feels about right from what I’ve seen of him over the last few pre-seasons, but I’d also say I’d far rather see Fabinho at the back and let Hendo play his role if Thiago isn’t right to go.

Theres no way Nat Phillips is good enough for us long term, and I liked Williams in preseason and the league cup match, but that was alongside Virgil who makes others play better and talks them through a game in a way Gomez can’t at this stage of his career.

• Upvote 1

Of course, I'm only talking about him playing if it's absolutely necessary. Gomez, Matip and Fabinho will hopefully carry the load but if and when someone else is needed, Phillips is who I'd go for.

Williams did do very well but like you, I think you have to take into account that he had Virg there with him for most of that time.

• Upvote 1

There were quotes from Klopp earlier in the year about him being impressed with Phillips' performances on Bundesliga 2. Could have just been mere words though.

It seems he isn't very highly rated because we were looking to loan him out again but couldn't sort out any deals with Championship clubs. Thankfully for him, he's been kept on. Hopefully he takes his chance when it comes and it turns out to be one of Klopp's many unlikely success stories.

56 minutes ago, dave u said:

You had me at "physically developed". 

12 hours ago, Supremolad said:

There were quotes from Klopp earlier in the year about him being impressed with Phillips' performances on Bundesliga 2. Could have just been mere words though.

It seems he isn't very highly rated because we were looking to loan him out again but couldn't sort out any deals with Championship clubs. Thankfully for him, he's been kept on. Hopefully he takes his chance when it comes and it turns out to be one of Klopp's many unlikely success stories.

Id hazard a guess Bundesliga 2 is a more challenging league than the National League North where Williams spent a period on loan.

• 2 weeks later...