You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Neil Young vs David Bowie

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Neil Young vs David Bowie  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Neil Young vs David Bowie

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/10/20 at 17:27

Shakey for me. Probably only one or two I’d vote over Neil Young. He can go toe to toe with Dylan when it comes to song writing for me. I play guitar and playing Neil Young stuff is the most fun and satisfying. I fucking love a handful of Bowie songs but the glam stuff is meh and weirds me out. 

• Upvote 1

Yuck. This a bitch....

I'm similar to El Diego. I love playing Neil Young songs on guitar, and he is an amazing songwriter.

But Bowie... His albums from 72 to 76 are frequently on my go to list more times than Neil Young. Plus his last album Blackstar is incredible.

Bowie by a gnats pubic hair.

Just now, ZonkoVille77 said:

Yuck. This a bitch....

I'm similar to El Diego. I love playing Neil Young songs on guitar, and he is an amazing songwriter.

But Bowie... His albums from 72 to 76 are frequently on my go to list more times than Neil Young. Plus his last album Blackstar is incredible.

Bowie by a gnats pubic hair.

Any Neil Young songs you'd recommend to learn to play?

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You play acoustic? Not sure what level you're at.

Start off easy with Heart of Gold and I am a Child. Then maybe My my, Hey hey and Old Man. Needle and the Damage Done is one of my favourites to play but is obviously trickier than those above. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Both versions of Powderfinger are ace. The original on acoustic with open chords. The electric is easy with a cool lick.

Cinnamon girl is fucking great.

Harvest moon is probably my favourite.

bookmark this site. All the tabs are spot on.

http://songx.se/

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

You play acoustic? Not sure what level you're at.

Start off easy with Heart of Gold and I am a Child. Then maybe My my, Hey hey and Old Man. Needle and the Damage Done is one of my favourites to play but is obviously trickier than those above. 

Acoustic and been playing and having lessons for about a year.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Down by the River -- classic 20 minute garage jam version.

Then break into your imitation of Warren Haynes on about another 20 minutes of Cortez the Killer.

Warren's cover of Indian Sunset is sensational. He did a live cover on a radio show that's been pulled from YouTube but fuck me its unbelievable. 

Story telling at its finest

14 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Both versions of Powderfinger are ace. The original on acoustic with open chords. The electric is easy with a cool lick.

Cinnamon girl is fucking great.

Harvest moon is probably my favourite.

bookmark this site. All the tabs are spot on.

http://songx.se/

Harvest Moon is a go to for me, those harmonics and the main lick, just beautiful. 

I like a bit of Ohio too.

EDIT Another good one, Don’t Let It Bring You Down.

Edited by paddyberger
  • Upvote 2

I’m extremely biased but I honestly don’t think anybody gets near Bowie, Elvis is a bigger icon but was nowhere near the artist Bowie was, Prince was stupidly talented and I’m a big fan of his but Bowie has done more across more genres and was a better songwriter. Jackson, again probably a bigger icon but nowhere anywhere near Bowie’s songwriting levels. This is a man who whilst dying of cancer at near 70 was producing a masterpiece and was being influenced by Kendrick Lamar, the man was a cultural magpie and was as brave an artist as has ever been seen, not everything he did worked but he was always striving and searching and when he got it right, wow. I also maintain that he went on a creative roll in the 70s that has only ever been bettered by the Beatles. Magnificent artist and a truly great, great songwriter........Give it Bowie.

• Upvote 4