You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bobby Robson

Butch

Watched this last night on Netflix, what an amazing man. Its a documentary about his football life and dealing with cancer. Some of it is very sad but as football fans it's highly recommended. 

I know he's nothing to do with us but the similarly of his man management is so like Klopp. 

Another one to see is Gascoigne, he's an absolute nut but had a lot of tragedy in his life. 

sir-bobby-robson.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I like SBR. He was a bit of a cheeky twat. Sent his Ipswich team out early to warm up in front of the Kop one game before our boys came out. 'Yer down the other end!' we all sang.

What happened when we arrived on the pitch?

50 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Lovely man and a great manager. I took great delight in Newcastle going down a few years after they sacked him, what a disgraceful way to treat him after all that he had done for the club.

Barca were cunts too, Newcastle and the tabloids. He remained classy throughout, a proper gentleman. Shearer is supposed to have had a lot to do with him being sacked too, to see Robson later on In a wheelchair opening a Hospital ward and Shearer trying to look friendly with him, that man is a right horrible cunt. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

The documentary is great. He just comes across as a really good person. His treatment by the tabloid media was an absolute disgrace. 

Exactly this.

He was an affable north-easterner like Sir Bob Paisley, and got a lot of shit off the red tops in particular when he was England boss. His treatment at Barcelona was shit too, where large sections of the local media were still pro-Cruyff (who'd been sacked as manager the season before) and against the Barcelona president Nunez, and saw Robson as Nunez's guy and second rate.

Barca were horrible ungrateful cunts and treated him like shit. One season he won 3 major trophies and was voted uefa manager of the season and they still wanted him out. Another time they were 8 goals up and they're fans were booing them and he couldn't understand why. Cunts is why. 

He seemed to be a real gentleman, a lovely man. Some parts of the documentary were very moving and sad. Well worth a look. 

55 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

We had to warm up down the Annie Road end. I dont know if Ronnie or Joe told the boys as they came out as I dont remember seeing any of our players stop and look and think WTF?!

Interesting reaction. Probably correct given other teams would try it if we reacted. 

I remember this one from 2006, Mayo headed for Dublin's unofficial end. Huge potential for a massive brawl. 

• 1 year later...

Listening to Quiet Genius(Bob Paisley book)

When Shanks left he said Jack Charlton should get the job. Peter Robinson didn't think he'd fit. Apparently the other outside the club option was Bobby Robson till they decided to go in house. 

Obviously the right call was made and Peter Robinson worked wonder talking Bob into taking it. Wonder how Robson would have got on with the job though. Especially if he kept the boot room and possibly Bob