You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton 2 Liverpool 2 (Oct 17 2020)

tlw content

This report is incredible. Exactly what I've been saying to anyone who'll listen to me, and in my mrs case - even those who don't want to.

How that fucking coward Coote can face his employers after that farce - and not have to answer some serious questions, will be a mystery.

I've missed this place.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I take back what I said about Oliver.

He did see it and therefore some of the responsibility lies with him. He should have made the decision on the red card himself and then let var over rule him if he was wrong. Instead he let Coote deal with it and probably knew there'd been a giant mistake but it was too late for him to act then.

I think the reason he was straight in with the red card on Richarlison is because he knew VAR fucked him over the first time.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Frank Dacey said:

Great report! My concern about VAR was always that the people who operated it were the same incompetents who'd made its introduction necessary. Obviously, Coote is the villain this week, but the root of the problems lie at the top, in Mike Riley who chooses these refs and keeps them on the list despite the mounting evidence of their uselessness. David Elleray is also culpable because he's at IFAB and seems determined to mess around with the laws with the effect of making them more complex and uch harder to enforce.

Similar, I initially assumed that VAR came with its own technicians that dealt with the decisions , and then realised they were chiselling a half-circle out of one of the desks to get Jon Moss a bit closer.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dave u said:

The reason I didn't use the word corrupt is because I don't think he's on the take.

I called him a cheat because he deliberately screwed us over. What his motivation is I don't know. I do know that he decided we weren't going to win that game and he hid behind the technology to justify his actions.

Fact is, he can't hide behind the technology.  Or at least shouldn't be allowed to.

The technology simply does not prove his decision correct.  The outcome is contentious, it's not black and white, it's completely grey... and if so the benefit of the doubt should stay with the attacker or at least, the on-field decision.

Owen said after the game, it's either off-side or it's not (and I think he was saying that to basically "agree" with the decision). But the point is, you do not have to be a football official to look at that footage and categorically come to the conclusion that IS IT INCONCLUSIVE.  

The only thing that makes it "conclusive" is the arbitrary and totally subjective call of someone who has seen exactly the same evidence as everyone else got to see - and I have heard NO ONE CATEGORICALLY, on that video evidence, come out and say it was offside.

This outcome is, purely and simply, NOT why technology was introduced into sport - technology was introduced to correct or clarify incorrect or doubtful decisions.  

This over-ruling did neither of those things.

It is, on every reasonable premise - plainly and simply - inadequate, insufficient, unjust and therefore, wrong.  

Quite deliberately wrong, even... and I think that makes it more than fair and reasonable to seriously question the sincerity of the decision-maker.

(.... as for earlier deciding not to interrogate a clear, potentially career-ending foul - on the flimsy pretext of a contentious and potentially incorrect offside decision a second or so earlier - well, I reckon that and the subsequent call on the Henderson goal, make it QED on the "cheat" front.)

• Upvote 1

Why can't we just simplify the use of VAR and learn lessons from other sports who use video assistance so much better than football?

For example a mate who watches that American Football lark was telling me In North American football VAR, there’s a concept called “clear evidence”  that is required in order to overturn a call on the field. The PL should consider adding this to their VAR process.

No clear evidence? The original decision stands.....it harks back to the original idea around 'clear and obvious error'....Mane being called offside after drawing fucking lines for 2 mins on a computer and watching god knows how many frames is clearly not 'clear'

Maybe Mane by the interpretation they decided to use was offiside by a few millimetres or something or maybe he wasn’t..... It was obviously very, very fucking far from being clear and evident - or clear and obvious.

The decision made by the onfield officials would not have been reversed in the American Football style review process.

VAR itself isn't the problem it is how the system is being chosen to be used and what for.

It really would not be hard to fix this - but here we are over a year in and we still end up with situations like yesterday where in same game a stonewall red card is not given and a goal is ruled out by the most ridiculously anal interpretation and implementation via VAR of offside.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, dave u said:

He did see it and therefore some of the responsibility lies with him. He should have made the decision on the red card himself and then let var over rule him if he was wrong. Instead he let Coote deal with it and probably knew there'd been a giant mistake but it was too late for him to act then.

I think the reason he was straight in with the red card on Richarlison is because he knew VAR fucked him over the first time.

Spot on Dave

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dave u said:

Oliver is the best of a bad bunch, but he does tend to bottle out of big decisions. I think he sent Buffon off once (at Real?) and it's probably scarred him for life. He was certainly the ref when Costa tap danced on prostate Liverpool defenders not once, but twice, and shit out of making a decision (Costa got a 3 match retrospective). 

The other question for me is why the assistant referee didn't, y'know, assist the referee as he would have had a pretty good view of the assault. Probably some ludicrous protocol, desgigned for them to hide behind.

• Upvote 1

Pickford is absolute dogshit. He had no idea where the ball was, no idea what was going on, so just did a bravado feet first leap into the action. He loves being seen as an all action, shot stopping goalie. Compare him with a good goalie like Allison - there are no histrionics, no diving in where he shouldn't be. 

Goalies who can make the odd spectacular save are ten a penny.

He's fucking brain-dead. His positional sense is non existent. I wouldn't be surprised if Ancelotti wanted rid of him. 

I'm just hoping Thiago actually is okay and it's not one of those injuries that go on and on for weeks into months. 

I'm still confident we'll win a trophy or two this season. 

• Upvote 1

What a great report Dave, especially given the fact that you must have had to edit it substantially to remove the fuckin fuckity, fuckin fuck fucker, fuckin bastardy, wankstain, dirty smelly cunty chops , bawbag , fuck pig , sheep shagging, whorebag, farmyard animal molesting, cunting arsehole that prefixed every mention of Coote.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ESPN's resident VAR expert Dale Johnson has a lengthy thread explaining the offsides and why they were actually correct under the current rules.

Everything he said is right, but here's the thing. It still comes down to how much the VAR official wants to manipulate the lines to suit the decision he wants to make.

Any borderline call could be made to look on or off depending on where they want to draw the lines. For example, the Virgil one is drawn closer to his elbow than shoulder.

But irrespective of all that, there's one thing that is just unequivocal.

David Coote should be SACKED for not telling Oliver to look at the Pickford challenge. No slap on the wrists or warnings, that in itself is such an egregious error that it's a sackable offence. He is not fit to do the job and if any one of us committed an error that serious in whatever jobs we do, we'd be out the door.

Unless you happen to be a Tory MP in which case that doesn't apply.

But instead, he's allowed to carry on in his job with absolutely no consequences for what he did.

He's refereeing tonight, and just to troll us you can bet he'll send a player off for farting in the direction of an opponent.

• Upvote 2

Its only a £75m footballer thats been robbed of his career.

Coote had to ensure there was an off side instead.

Don't the PGMOL have a duty of care to look after all the footballers on the pitch? In which case they've failed to do so, and then failed to action the cause. They'll probably use their double jeopardy bollocks to cancel one out because of the other.

Absolute charlatans, every single one of them.

Never known such a deep and lasting sense of anger and injustice about decisions made.

We've simply been robbed fucking blind, and that dinotwat mongrel Pickford has got away with an assault on VVD and of course to compound it the worlds best centre half is crocked for the season.

Spewing does not even get close....I hope every single one of our players carries the same burning sense of injustice and they use it as fuel to go out and win the fucking lot.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Red Banjo said:

Its only a £75m footballer thats been robbed of his career.

Coote had to ensure there was an off side instead.

Don't the PGMOL have a duty of care to look after all the footballers on the pitch? In which case they've failed to do so, and then failed to action the cause. They'll probably use their double jeopardy bollocks to cancel one out because of the other.

Absolute charlatans, every single one of them.

Yeah I just used the 'duty of care' thing in another thread. It's a massive issue. 

Forget Pickford and any punishment of him. That's gone and there's no benefit to us to get him banned (especially as he's shite). But what happened was a fucking scandal and the least PGMOL owed us was an apology and admittance they fucked up.

To double down on it just isn't acceptable and I hope we kick up the biggest fuss possible.

• dave u unpinned this topic