You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton 2 Liverpool 2 (Oct 17 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

It’s an hour after the game and I’ve already started the report. Usually I wait at least 24 hours, sometimes longer, but this time I need to get it all down now rather than stew over it. I doubt I’ll feel any differently in a month, let alone a day. The anger will hopefully subside (it better, as right now I’m ready to kill someone) but the sense of injustice won’t. 

This was one of those games you’ll never forget and the feeling of being robbed never goes away. Funnily enough it was only a few days ago I was thinking back to when Suarez scored a late winner there and it was wrongly ruled out for offside. I’ve never actually got over that, having that moment of euphoria unfairly snatched away. That was bad, but at least the linesman had the excuse of only seeing it at normal speed with the naked eye. This was far worse, and a lot more sinister.

Firstly, before I get into all that, I want to make the point that this was a really good performance from the lads to bounce back from what happened at Villa Park. We wanted a response and we got it. The way we started the game I felt as though we were going to absolutely steamroller them. There was an aggression and a desire to play on the front foot, and Everton couldn’t cope. 

It looked like the lads wanted to make a statement and overall they did. So from that point of view, all good. The anger I’m feeling has nothing to do with anything performance related and I saw a lot of things to make me feel good about the rest of the season, not least how that midfield looked with Thiago and Hendo in tandem. Wow. 

Our opening goal was beautiful. Slick, sexy football that ended with Robbo skipping past Coleman and pulling it back for Sadio to finish. Prior to the game that’s the area I thought we could really hurt them. That “Hamez” twat has a great left peg but he’s slow as fuck and doesn’t want to chase back. What a horrible little bastard he is. Waving his imaginary cards and constantly being up in the ref’s grid. Fucking over-rated little gel-head turd. 

Sick of the fawning over him already. He’s being hyped up like he’s some superstar but he’s been a bit part player at every big club he’s been at. If he was that good he wouldn’t have ended up at Everton in his prime years. He’s basically Shaqiri at Stoke, only with more Instagram followers.

So that side of the field was always going to be key for us. The opportunity was always going to be there to overload on Coleman and that was happening a lot early doors. It led to the opening goal and should have led to a second when Sadio missed an identical chance after again being set up by Robbo.

So yeah, all good to start with. We were already one up and if the officials had done their job we’d have been playing against ten men for most of the game. Pickford somehow getting away with that might be the biggest miscarriage of justice involving a goalkeeper since Harold Schumacher almost killed Patrick Battiston and was only yellow carded. Not even joking. My mind is blown that he was allowed to stay on after that.

I don’t know what happened there. I’ve heard Peter Walton say that the offside doesn’t make any difference in that situation and that Pickford should have walked. I’ve also seen a rules nerd on Twitter saying that only applies for ‘violent conduct’ and not ‘serious foul play’. Dermot Gallagher, the baldy Michael Stipe looking bootlicking cunt, obviously defended the decision as that’s what he does. He’s never seen a decision he didn’t agree with.  

I tell you what I do know. Richarlison was sent off for a lunge on Thiago even though the whistle had actually gone for a free-kick a split second earlier. So how is this any different? Answer; it isn’t.

Leaving aside the fact I don’t think it was offside anyway (I’ll get to that shortly), that is serious foul play, endangering an opponent, violent conduct, common assault and a whole lot of other things rolled into one. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 6

• dave u pinned this topic

Nothing to say Dave. My head fell off after the Villa game and the officiating disgrace - not only in this game, but many, many others - has only added insult to injury. 

I'm truly disillusioned with top-flight footy. It's so far beyond a joke. 

• Upvote 1

Great article Dave. You summed up the feelings of everyone describing how you felt about the 'winner.' I was exactly the same, I cant remember the last time I felt so angry at a decision and we've had some shockers.

Said many a time, Im in favour of VAR. The technology works despite what anyone says. It's the inept and possibly biased cunts who operate it that make it look like VAR's the 'faut.' It isnt, it's the people using it.

Does anyone seriously believe hendo's goal would have been wiped out for 'offside' in Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Holland or any other league using VAR? No. The only time it would have been wiped out is if the VAR officials had been paid off because that isnt offside.

All that said, Imtotally fucked off with VAR now. It's bad enough having the clueless atkinson or the manc biased taylor fuck us over on the pitch, now we have uber twats like this coote doing off the pitch.

The old girl used to laugh at me when I went on about refs having an agenda when they're called out during and after games. I knew this coote cunt had cost us before but didnt realise it was him that Robbo slagged off at the end of the burnley game.

He's clearly kept that one in his little black book, hasnt he? What better way to show us who's boss, eh?

Im not giving Oliver the almost free pass though, Dave. For the life of me, I dont get why he isnt taking ownership. He's the on field ref after all, and going to have a look at the monitor for both the pickford incident and the 'offside.' VAR is there to aid him not replace him as the final arbiter.

Excellent point about richarlison's red and his tackle being after the whistle was blown so the bollocks about the ball being 'dead' due to the offside in the pickford incident doesnt stack up.

By the way, what did your mum say?

• Upvote 1

The sickening thing about Refs and VAR in particular is they have zero fucking accountability. They never have to stand in front of a TV camera and journalist asking them explain a contentious decision (the official line about Virge and Pickford was beneath contempt!), or just why they think some stray hair follicle is enough to fuck a team over. Whatever happened to giving the strikers the benefit of the doubt?? Any technology is only as good as who’s operating it (as Chris Rock said you could drive a car with your feet but that don’t mean it should be done!), but these fucktards are making the game a laughing stock

This match is soul destroying

The pundits may agree it wasn't offside and Pickford should have been sent off but no questions will be asked of the incompetent refs that has been allowed to be incompetent for decades.

The fans of other teams have allowed the media narrative that Liverpool constantly get favorable decisions to see this as justice against LiVARpool.

I have always been a defender of VAR to prevent performances like Martin Atkinson gave against Leicester that cost us 2 points in a season we lost the league by 1 but looking at this now I honestly don't see what is the point. These fucks implemented VAR and used it to justify their incompetence, they promised this season was supposed to be better after how incompetently it was implemented last year but now we're here.

This feeling of helplessness knowing that the people in charge will allow us to be fucked over while the fans of other teams will just ignore it because they take pleasure in watching us struggle just makes me want to give up on this sport.

You weren't going to put it into words but I will. He is a corrupt cunt. He should be investigated by the Police for corruption. Nothing else about it. Fucking cunt. Him and his fucking masters, every single one on the take. Fuck them.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

You weren't going to put it into words but I will. He is a corrupt cunt. He should be investigated by the Police for corruption. Nothing else about it. Fucking cunt. Him and his fucking masters, every single one on the take. Fuck them.

The reason I didn't use the word corrupt is because I don't think he's on the take.

I called him a cheat because he deliberately screwed us over. What his motivation is I don't know. I do know that he decided we weren't going to win that game and he hid behind the technology to justify his actions.

• Upvote 1

I was going to reply with something about Richarlison's permanent face like a slapped arse until I read it in the report. It's the perfect description.

There are a few occasions I can think of where I was massively pissed off after the game, to the point where it still bothered me days or weeks later. One of them is the 'Respect The Ref' campaign which began and ended with Mascherano at Old Trafford in March 2008. Another is Sterling being flagged offside at City when he was at least 3 yards onside (!) in December 2013. Yet another is Fat Jon Moss and his shitshow against Spurs in 2018.

VAR was not available for any of those, yet it was in use here and easy to rectify any issues. The trouble is, VAR is at the mercy of the staggering ineptitude of PGMOL, and not helped by the rule-making bodies overly complicating things like handball and offside. Simplifying the offside rule by basing it on a player's feet is so simple to implement and so much easier to assess with VAR. I'm not sure how to make the handball rule fairer other than getting rid of the 'unnatural position and making yourself bigger' thing. If a ball is blasted somewhere near your face, even if it's not direct, the immediate (and natural) instinct is to protect your face.

As for the Pickford incident, PGMOL are trying to justify the officials' decisions with some typically wishy washy bollocks. All they do is double down on the stupid so they can continue living in their perfect bubble where they can do no wrong.

• Upvote 1

100% Spot on Dave Coote is a cheat pure and simple it's the only conclusion imo he has form with us the only difference between him and Webb is that he's hiding behind the technology,  the club should be calling him out if the FA have the bollocks to have him officiate in any capacity at our games  in the future .

I'm still fuming 24 hours later and probably like most reds celebrated like lunatics when Henderson's ' winner ' went in only to be cheated out of it by some manc twat 

They were at it all over the park yesterday. That 'ccchhhamez" is one horrible little rat. All game he was on at the ref. Richarlison is the most over-rated player in the league (Pogba is but that goes without saying) and if things don't go his way in the first 10 minutes he starts sulking. Allan is a snidey twat who should have been off for persistent cunt behaviour well before he got booked. Pickford is a chavvy little rat who should have been well gone. Digne is another snidey little twat. Mina is a joke, all game he was shouting at the ref who just let him constantly get away with being in his face calling him a little cunt. VAR shit themselves. Normally when a ref gets something wrong he will try and make amends as the game goes on. This cunt didn't. Not a conspiracy nut myself but they all done a job on us yesterday. Fuck Everton, fuck Ancelotti, fuck the fucking lot of them. 

• Upvote 3

Great report which mirrors how I feel. I hate the whole injustice of it all.

The problem I have with Pickford's challenge is he didn't need to make it at all. He's the keeper, and whilst he may be prone to rash moments, I can't see why he did that in that particular situation. Who makes a crazed challenge like that in the penalty area when the ball is heading out of play and the player running for it is at a sharp angle to the goal? It's an appalling challenge to make on a fellow professional, totally out of control, and potentially career-threatening/ending. Benefit of doubt, maybe he lost his head in the moment, but he must have been so hyped up at that moment to do that, or, as you say, there is more to his psychology that we don't know.

As for Coote, he's either massively incompetent at best, biased, or a blatant cheat and corrupt at worst. I find it intriguing that we in England don't seriously consider for any moment that one or two of our refs might be on the take. It's English exceptionalism at its finest. They're human beings after all, no different to anyone else. It's happened in other great footballing nations, I honestly can't see why it wouldn't happen here.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, furious yesterday, furious this morning when I woke up, still furious. That twat has to be sacked and humiliated publicly for either incompetence or cheating. The reports about the rest of the match are irrelevant really as down to 10 men the game would have been different. 

You're right about Richarlison, he has a tile loose, he's just out to cheat and hurt people. 

I went to a non league game immediately after this and, yes, the ref made mistakes but, you know what, the players moaned for a moment but then just got on with it. That's football, not a computer game which is what VAR is making the PL. If it is going to decide offsides they have to have a margin for error as selecting the exact freeze frame for the moment the ball leaves the foot is inexact at best. Level used to be onside, I have no idea what the rule is anymore. It seems designed by Dido Harding.

The news on van Dijk just makes everything worse. I'd do harm to Coote if I met him. Oliver doesn't escape, why didn't he ask to see the footage or did he think Virgil was having a laugh?

If Liverpool didn't mean the world to me I'd bin the PL altogether, many of my mates already have what with VAR, PPV and all the other marketing acronyms. Fuming.

• Upvote 1

Great report! My concern about VAR was always that the people who operated it were the same incompetents who'd made its introduction necessary. Obviously, Coote is the villain this week, but the root of the problems lie at the top, in Mike Riley who chooses these refs and keeps them on the list despite the mounting evidence of their uselessness. David Elleray is also culpable because he's at IFAB and seems determined to mess around with the laws with the effect of making them more complex and uch harder to enforce.

• Upvote 3

On top of everything else, I'm blaming that prick on VAR for the fact I've managed to get virtually no work for university done this week. Been far too wound up to just sit down and concentrate on it ever since the full time whistle went yesterday.

Worst possible news on van Dijk. It seemed inevitable after the way this weekend had gone. Big challenge ahead now but, as you say, it's not like he's the only world class player we have. A few people are talking as though the season is over. This squad deserves more trust than that. Things look bleak but this squad won't just throw the towel in.

And even if this is a bleak moment, we can all take solace in the fact that we don't support Everton. Forget all the fawning over their start to the season. They looked no better yesterday than they have in any other derby in the last decade. Within a few months they'll have slipped down to 7th or 8th and be as irrelevant as they have been every other year for the past 2 and a half decades.

• dave u unpinned this topic