Quantcast
Ajax (A) Champions League - 21/10/20 - 20:00 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Ajax (A) Champions League - 21/10/20 - 20:00

I'd play a deeper defensive line and just hit them on the counter. They're always a bit naive and can be had that way and with key defensive players out, we should be more conservative. 

• Upvote 1

Milner

TAA-Gomez-Matip-Robbo

Fabinho-Gini-Hendo

Jota                               Mane

Mo

1 hour ago, Herp McDerp said:

Milner

TAA-Gomez-Matip-Robbo

Fabinho-Gini-Hendo

Jota                               Mane

Mo

Who?

After playing a run of horrible bastards in the Premier League, I can't muster any hatred for Ajax.

Nothing personal; strictly business.  Just get these beat, Reds.

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'd play a deeper defensive line and just hit them on the counter. They're always a bit naive and can be had that way and with key defensive players out, we should be more conservative. 

Think we may have to use this tactic in most games soon.

We've only met Ajax once before, which is strange given how they are European royalty. We have to go right back to December 1966 for it too. Shanks took his team to Amsterdam for the first leg of a 2nd round European Cup tie, a game played in the fog in the Olympic stadium (Ajax's old De Meer stadium was always tiny). The fog was so bad you could only just about see halfway down the pitch according to Shanks. Rinus Michel's team weren't quite the well-oiled Total Football machine of the early 70s, and Johan Cruyff wasn't yet in his prime, but Ajax dominated and hammered us 5-1. Our goal was scored by Chris Lawler, and it's a bit of a running joke that everyone else says it can't have been him because no-one saw it! Still, an early footballing lesson for our side, and we did redeem ourselves a little in the second leg at Anfield, claiming a 2-2 draw. Ajax got knocked out by Dukla Prague in the Quarter Final, and Celtic's Lisbon Lions went on to lift the trophy.

Number one in the charts at the time was Tom Jones with 'Green, Green Grass Of Home'. I've heard of him of course, and I know he was a very big deal back then, but I can't say I've heard the song. It was top of the charts for 7 weeks from the beginning of December.

We'll be going into this game without Ali, Big Virg, most likely Thiago, and obviously Naby and Ox. The guys who can be involved are more than capable of doing the job, but I don't know what this year's Ajax are like. They don't have the likes of De Jong, De Ligt, Van De Beek or Ziyech any more, but they always find young players who can give anyone a game. We'll need to be switched on properly for this one and get the job done before returning to the green, green grass of home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

Davy Klaasen is gonna shit us!

Any chance you could change the record please, for just one night? This day has been shitty enough already like.

• Upvote 1

Might be worth jibbing european cup off this season given how it will probably be reduced to shite again for last 8 and the agg international travel sadly means now.

Protect our stretched to fuck squad for league

3 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Jib the fa cup, go for the big two but this will mean spending in January, which obviously is never going to happen.

We bought Minamino last January.

24 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Jib the fa cup, go for the big two but this will mean spending in January, which obviously is never going to happen.

We jib it off every year normally anyway

Need to field a strong team obviously, but also some rotation required I reckon. Expect to see the likes of Milner, Wijnaldum and Jota from the start. Maybe also Jones and Minamino.

The fixture list is a joke, and we need to protect our players. Over the season that will pay off.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Might be worth jibbing european cup off this season given how it will probably be reduced to shite again for last 8 and the agg international travel sadly means now.

Protect our stretched to fuck squad for league

I might be wrong, but aren't you one of those people that complains we never take the worthless domestic cups seriously, and now you're saying we should forget the most important competition in the world because we have a couple of injuries? Laughable.