You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ajax (A) Champions League - 21/10/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

After the last 2 matches where there were 3x deflected goals, a season-ending injury resulting in a free kick against and a late winner denied by an absurd offside call, I think this team is allowed a little luck. 

3 points, a clean sheet and no further injuries is massive after the last couple of weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, JustTosh said:

We all see football with separate pairs of eyes I suppose, but for me his was one scrappy performance. Best Liverpool player was Lady Luck with Fab coming close. Our midfield was dreadful. The Ajax players had all the space they could dream of between our lines. Calling it “lines” is btw an exaggeration. We were late on every second balls and was at times outplayed by this team.

Ajax may be better than I expected but this was still one lousy performance with a few exceptions (Fab, Robbo).

More shots, more on target, more possession against a European giant away, with 3 key players out is not lousy. We had some luck, but we deserved it with the performance. 

1 hour ago, A_S said:

After the last 2 matches where there were 3x deflected goals, a season-ending injury resulting in a free kick against and a late winner denied by an absurd offside call, I think this team is allowed a little luck. 

3 points, a clean sheet and no further injuries is massive after the last couple of weeks. 

Spot on mate. Notice the difference in narrative with the mancs result. They needed yet another penalty, taken twice at that, to set them up for a win against PSG and all a sudden, Ollie's got them playing great again and they're looking good!

30 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Went old school, listening to it on Radio 5 Live. Steven Warnock is far less irritating than McManaman

Remember having to listen to Bryon Butler and Peter Jones do Radio 2 second half commentary for games back in the day. Seems incredible now that MoTD and the Granada Sunday highlights were all we got!

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

And how brilliant they both were...

Yeah, it didnt matter what game they were commentating on, they never showed any bias to any team, unlike Tyler and one or two others today. And you still got the sense of excitement from the game even though you couldnt see it.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah, it didnt matter what game they were commentating on, they never showed any bias to any team, unlike Tyler and one or two others today. And you still got the sense of excitement from the game even though you couldnt see it.

I seem to remember the Kop chanting "Sinstadt is a twat" on more than one occasion.

• Upvote 1

Thought it was a classic team in a rut nicking a win whilst still looking vulnerable, short of confidence, short of cohesion and fluidity and confidence....but showing somw grit and determination and maybe the start of turning a corner.

Could be the start of coming out of the rut and the bridge to better football and results.

6 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Remember having to listen to Bryon Butler and Peter Jones do Radio 2 second half commentary for games back in the day. Seems incredible now that MoTD and the Granada Sunday highlights were all we got!

How dare you forget Sportsnight with Harry Carpenter

17 hours ago, mattyq said:

How dare you forget Sportsnight with Harry Carpenter

Yeah but that wasnt a regular mid week football programme. Although they tended to show European highlights they seemed to concentrate on boxing and other sports from what I remember. Dont recollect Harry doing football comentary.

They've got all the goals from Ajax's 13-0 away win at VVV Venlo on the Sky Sports website. The Venlo goalkeeper just gave up on at least half of them. Obviously the players in front of him didn't help his cause but he could have kept the score down to single figures with just a little bit of effort.