You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ajax (A) Champions League - 21/10/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

18 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Adrian was lucky tonight if we're honest. His punches barely reached the edge of the box and Fabhino spared his blushes with that incredible clearance . He made a couple of decent stops but overall he still looked like a rabbit in the headlights. Sooner he gets his arse back on the bench the better.

This. He made to massive howlers, and a number of other mistakes. He got away with it this time, but that doesnt mean the performance was anywhere near good enough.

Considering the amount of space our players had, we were very wasteful with the ball when in possession. All too often, the final ball or shot at goal lacked the required compusure and accuracy. Ajax had chances too, but we could have been out of sight had we been sharper.

The goal sort of sums of what I've said above, the only difference being that the ball ended up in the back of the net. Great turn by Sadio but he completely scuffed his effort. Fortunately, Tagliafico got his feet in a muddle and could only deflect it goalwards.

Mo had let a great chance slip by cutting onto his left straight away and narrowing the angle so they could block the shot, and Bobby headed a corner straight at the keeper. Not an easy one, but one that he'd have found the net with a couple of years ago. Gini had a late chance saved, Taki hit one from the edge of the box right at the keeper, and Robbo just failed to get on the end of Jota's ball across the six yard box after good work between the two.

Defensively, we set our line a bit deeper than usual and coped well for the most part. Promes had one saved from point blank range, and Tadic had one cleared off the line. Apart from Klaassen's effort off the woodwork early in the second half after we'd failed to clear our lines a couple of times, I don't think we were unduly troubled.

Adrian in goal was alright for the most part. In the first half though, he still had a couple of Adrian-esque brain farts. The first was coming for a ball far too late instead of giving Big Joe an angle for a pass back. It ended up with the two of them right next to each other with the forward (Neres?) in close attendance and the ball being put out of play, but it could have been a lot worse. Big Joe was right to have a go at the keeper for causing the problem. The other brain fart was in having his kick charged down inside the penalty area. Nothing ultimately came of it but he does this in every game it seems and it's more than a little annoying. It must really piss off his teammates because he does it so frequently. Just the same dithering followed by a lazy attempt at kicking followed by a sheepish hand up in apology when his blushes have been spared. Otherwise he didn't over-complicate things and kept his concentration.

We start with 3 points and will play Midgetland next week. Just do the right things and be sharp and focussed and we'll be fine.

3 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Thought he did ok apart from the clearance rebound.

Couple of big saves

It's  his dawdling with the ball at his feet that does me, you're just waiting for him to fuck up.

He nearly got caught out again tonight although he did start playing it a bit sooner.

Hope to fuck Alisson comes back soon if only for the sake of my blood pressure. 

Massive win all things considered. We're getting over a hiding and an assault on our best player that's left a huge hole in the team physically and mentally. This win was gold. Plus there's some dutch twat at my job who supports Ajax and was chuckling about villa who was ready to send me a shithouse work IM. Now I get to send one to him. 

Klopp on Mane:

On Sadio Mane having an ice pack on his leg after being withdrawn...

Sadio has since a few days a dead leg and deals with that in that area. That's the only thing why it's still painful but it's not a problem. When he doesn't play, he puts ice on it.

I know people are entitled to opinions and all that, but considering the fact that Adrian could have easily have cost us a goal three times in 90 mins, I struggle to see how his performance is deemed ok or fine. 

True, he did a couple basics right and made a point blank save (on a move which would have been ruled offside anyway). However, even the shittiest goalies make good saves occasionally. Kepa for example, still makes some saves despite costing Chelsea a goal every other game.

Adrian saved his worst for last when he came out for the cross in the last minute and neither punched or caught the ball. We just got lucky the Ajax player panicked and blasted it over. That was 2 dropped points right there.

1 hour ago, Supremolad said:

I know people are entitled to opinions and all that, but considering the fact that Adrian could have easily have cost us a goal three times in 90 mins, I struggle to see how his performance is deemed ok or fine. 

True, he did a couple basics right and made a point blank save (on a move which would have been ruled offside anyway). However, even the shittiest goalies make good saves occasionally. Kepa for example, still makes some saves despite costing Chelsea a goal every other game.

Adrian saved his worst for last when he came out for the cross in the last minute and neither punched or caught the ball. We just got lucky the Ajax player panicked and blasted it over. That was 2 dropped points right there.

Yeah even seeing him rush out as that cross came in at the end was enough to feed my bog for two lifetimes 

5 hours ago, an tha said:

Klopp on Mane:

On Sadio Mane having an ice pack on his leg after being withdrawn...

Sadio has since a few days a dead leg and deals with that in that area. That's the only thing why it's still painful but it's not a problem. When he doesn't play, he puts ice on it.

That would be a possible career ending muscle strain to Sturridge 

Win next week and Atlanta can beat Ajax and suddenly it’s a 6 point gap so you’d like to think Jurgen can then shuffle the team around 

5 hours ago, Supremolad said:

True, he did a couple basics right and made a point blank save (on a move which would have been ruled offside anyway). 

Replay clearly showed it was onside because Gomez hadn’t held the line and had dropped back a yard. Bit let’s not mention that, eh?

People still not understanding that second choice keepers are second choice for a reason.

9 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

It's  his dawdling with the ball at his feet that does me, you're just waiting for him to fuck up.

He nearly got caught out again tonight although he did start playing it a bit sooner.

Hope to fuck Alisson comes back soon if only for the sake of my blood pressure. 

Yea, it does appear that his head goes to sleep or what shopping he needs tomorrow.

Agree with Ali, be easier games to watch

We all see football with separate pairs of eyes I suppose, but for me his was one scrappy performance. Best Liverpool player was Lady Luck with Fab coming close. Our midfield was dreadful. The Ajax players had all the space they could dream of between our lines. Calling it “lines” is btw an exaggeration. We were late on every second balls and was at times outplayed by this team.

Ajax may be better than I expected but this was still one lousy performance with a few exceptions (Fab, Robbo).

37 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

We all see football with separate pairs of eyes I suppose, but for me his was one scrappy performance. Best Liverpool player was Lady Luck with Fab coming close. Our midfield was dreadful. The Ajax players had all the space they could dream of between our lines. Calling it “lines” is btw an exaggeration. We were late on every second balls and was at times outplayed by this team.

Ajax may be better than I expected but this was still one lousy performance with a few exceptions (Fab, Robbo).

Where do you get off writing with font that big?