You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ajax (A) Champions League - 21/10/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, Trumo said:

Number one in the charts at the time was Tom Jones with 'Green, Green Grass Of Home'. I've heard of him of course, and I know he was a very big deal back then, but I can't say I've heard the song. It was top of the charts for 7 weeks from the beginning of December.

The song is a cracker.  A nostalgic tear jerker - I still have my Mum's vinyl 45 of it, and play it from time to time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I might be wrong, but aren't you one of those people that complains we never take the worthless domestic cups seriously, and now you're saying we should forget the most important competition in the world because we have a couple of injuries? Laughable.

Worthless......yeah ok.

Given the likelihood of international travel being so problematic and if (still if at this stage of course) our best defender is crocked for months, and the possibility of the competition maybe being curtailed again as the pandemic continues to affect Europe, i don't find prioritising the league 'laughable'.

The words jib it off i used however are probably too strong though...but yeah i feel like we should prioritise league if we are as depleted as looks like we could be.

Some weird reactions in this thread. With Thiado added, we've got stronger midfield cover than in our entire club history (quote me a single historic squad to prove me wrong). With Jota added, we've got stronger forward cover than in our entire club history (quote me a single historic squad to prove me wrong). Alisson + VVD injuries have come at a horribly coincidental time but we should be able to navigate them. Of the 2, Alisson is the most important to get back right now, lest Adrian keep effectively punching or kicking every other shot he has to deal with into his own net.

27 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Some weird reactions in this thread. With Thiado added, we've got stronger midfield cover than in our entire club history (quote me a single historic squad to prove me wrong). With Jota added, we've got stronger forward cover than in our entire club history (quote me a single historic squad to prove me wrong). Alisson + VVD injuries have come at a horribly coincidental time but we should be able to navigate them. Of the 2, Alisson is the most important to get back right now, lest Adrian keep effectively punching or kicking every other shot he has to deal with into his own net.

The thing about the Champions League is it should never be difficult to get out of the group stages. Even with our current injuries, the squad is, arguably, no worse than 2017/18. Let's just get 10-12 points from 6 games, then see what shape the squad is in for the knockout rounds.

9 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The thing about the Champions League is it should never be difficult to get out of the group stages. Even with our current injuries, the squad is, arguably, no worse than 2017/18. Let's just get 10-12 points from 6 games, then see what shape the squad is in for the knockout rounds.

Atalanta got smashed to pieces by Napoli yesterday. I fully expect to beat them 12-8 in both legs.

On 18/10/2020 at 01:00, Alex_K said:

Think you might have forgotten about Borini, Balotelli and Lambert? 

Jake Cain & Vitezslav Jaros have travelled to Amsterdam with the first team.

Great reward for Jake getting a call up into the first team. He and Leighton Clarkson have been excellent for the past couple of seasons down in the 18s/23s, so nice to see him rewarded for his progression.

Jaros 3rd choice keeper behind Adrian & Kelleher. Good to see him back playing after the lengthy elbow injury that caused him to miss just about all of last season.

26 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Like the player but has there ever been a more injury prone CB than Mario in a LFC shirt ? It's as if his body is not suited to top level sport. 

More suited to fixing leaks, saving princesses and super kart. 

• Upvote 5

Dusan Tadic. 

The teams could have met in the 2019 final, of course, had Ajax not succumbed to Lucas Moura’s 96th‑minute winner for Tottenham in the semi-final second leg in Amsterdam. “It would have been nice to play against them in the final,” their captain, the former Southampton forward Dusan Tadic, reflected. “We would have had a larger chance than Tottenham that’s for sure.”