You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ajax (A) Champions League - 21/10/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

We've only met Ajax once before, which is strange given how they are European royalty. We have to go right back to December 1966 for it too. Shanks took his team to Amsterdam for the first leg of a 2nd round European Cup tie, a game played in the fog in the Olympic stadium (Ajax's old De Meer stadium was always tiny). The fog was so bad you could only just about see halfway down the pitch according to Shanks. Rinus Michel's team weren't quite the well-oiled Total Football machine of the early 70s, and Johan Cruyff wasn't yet in his prime, but Ajax dominated and hammered us 5-1. Our goal was scored by Chris Lawler, and it's a bit of a running joke that everyone else says it can't have been him because no-one saw it! Still, an early footballing lesson for our side, and we did redeem ourselves a little in the second leg at Anfield, claiming a 2-2 draw. Ajax got knocked out by Dukla Prague in the Quarter Final, and Celtic's Lisbon Lions went on to lift the trophy.

Number one in the charts at the time was Tom Jones with 'Green, Green Grass Of Home'. I've heard of him of course, and I know he was a very big deal back then, but I can't say I've heard the song. It was top of the charts for 7 weeks from the beginning of December.

We'll be going into this game without Ali, Big Virg, most likely Thiago, and obviously Naby and Ox. The guys who can be involved are more than capable of doing the job, but I don't know what this year's Ajax are like. They don't have the likes of De Jong, De Ligt, Van De Beek or Ziyech any more, but they always find young players who can give anyone a game. We'll need to be switched on properly for this one and get the job done before returning to the green, green grass of home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Might be worth jibbing european cup off this season given how it will probably be reduced to shite again for last 8 and the agg international travel sadly means now.

Protect our stretched to fuck squad for league

I might be wrong, but aren't you one of those people that complains we never take the worthless domestic cups seriously, and now you're saying we should forget the most important competition in the world because we have a couple of injuries? Laughable.