You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Paul Weller vs Bob Marley

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Paul Weller vs Bob Marley  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Paul Weller vs Bob Marley

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/10/20 at 15:45

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Bob could well be this tournaments REM or The Smiths and go very very far if the draw goes his way. 

He should 

I wouldn't look at it close to the same as them two going far. Bob is one of the most important figures in the history of music, his impact especially in Africa is arguably bigger than any artist in the 64

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He should 

I wouldn't look at it close to the same as them two going far. Bob is one of the most important figures in the history of music, his impact especially in Africa is arguably bigger than any artist in the 64

Im comparing him with the others in this tournament mate. He's up against the likes of Elvis, Bowie, Elton, Lennon, Gaye, Sinatra..... Its a fucking tough tournament this. For me he should go very far but in the original voting, 11 artists got more nomination

37 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Bob could well be this tournaments REM or The Smiths and go very very far if the draw goes his way. 

Bob for me as well, if you included his stuff with the Jam I’d go for Weller because I love them, but just solo? Bob pisses it. 

I love this Weller solo song though. Good little tune. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Is there much difference between Bob Marley's solo stuff and the stuff with the Wailers?

Yes

For me you can see a big difference as Bob took more and more control and it changed from the Wailing Wailers to Bob Marley and the Wailers

Peter Tosh and Bunny Livingston left the band in 1974 just after the release of Catch a Fire and Burnin, this was the same time the music was changing and becoming far more political. Look at the track listing prior to Catch a Fire and after. The Bob that is remembered really is more the line up without Tosh and Bunny and more Carlton and Aston Barrett and the I Threes than the previous band

This is the last "Best of Album of the Wailers" under the old label before Chris Blackwell(Island Records) took over

"Soul Shakedown Party"   3:09
2. "Stop the Train" Peter Tosh 2:20
3. "Caution"   2:43
4. "Soul Captives"   2:03
5. "Go Tell It on the Mountain" Traditional 3:15
6. "Can't You See" Tosh 2:42
7. "Soon Come" Tosh 2:23
8. "Cheer Up"   2:03
9. "Back Out"   2:18
10. "Do It Twice"   2:48
11. "Soon Come" (version) Tosh 2:25

"Soul Shakedown Party" (version)