You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fans back in stadiums

LFC 6 Times

4 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Dunno, I just can't see it. 53,000 people in a stadium in August? 6 months away? Fingers crossed January 2022 maybe?

January sounds more likely.  Even if they get everybody jabbed by June, I expect they'll want everybody to have the second jabs three months later before they allow mass events. So maybe October with a fair wind and providing there's not some new variant keeping the numbers up.

It'll speed things up if clubs are allowed to admit only people who've been jabbed (or can't be jabbed for medical reasons). 

No chance.

Mass attendance of events will be one of the very last things to happen.

My own view is they'll never allow it again at level was with capacities being limited eventually to maybe 50% of what they were.....and even that might take another year or more from now.....probably see 10% to start off with and that move very, very slowly to 20 and 25%.

I was reading some article the other day about returning to normal and some scientist in it specifically mentioned masks being worn and mass gatherings being heavily limited for a good while yet.

Don't expect 53,000 in Anfield any time soon.....possibly never IMO.

38 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Dunno, I just can't see it. 53,000 people in a stadium in August? 6 months away? Fingers crossed January 2022 maybe?

Who knows. 11m so far. Looks promising for those  >50 to have had it by May, which would be c.25m (c.37% of the population). 

So, there would be c.15 weeks to get the as many done as possible. The current daily average is 430k per week, which should increase all the time. 

People <40 make up c.0.7% of the death toll, and I’d be willing to hazard a guess a large % of those had underlying health issues, of which the vulnerable are being prioritised. 

IMO, full houses come August, or soonish after, should be achievable. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I've got a ticket for the Euros and to be honest it's the last thing I want to go to! 

They need to have a serious think about this. It cannot possibly go ahead all over Europe. 

IMO, given we’re the best at vaccinations (so far), they should move the tournament to the UK.

Away fans only permitted to travel if they’ve had the vaccine and post a negative test before travel. Let’s face it, Britain is so multi-cultural, each nation will have a significant following via UK residency anyway. 

Likey limited capacities, but it’ll be significantly better than likely empty stadiums throughout the rest of Europe. 

14 minutes ago, an tha said:

No chance.

My own view is they'll never allow it again at level was with capacities being limited eventually to maybe 50% of what they were.....and even that might take another year or more from now.....probably see 10% to start off with and that move very, very slowly to 20 and 25%.

I was reading some article the other day about returning to normal and some scientist in it specifically mentioned masks being worn and mass gatherings being heavily limited for a good while yet.

New Zealand have had music festivals and full stadiums for rugby matches. If the vaccines keep our case numbers down to the levels NZ have achieved, I don't see any reason to keep fans out.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

New Zealand have had music festivals and full stadiums for rugby matches. If the vaccines keep our case numbers down to the levels NZ have achieved, I don't see any reason to keep fans out.

NZ have had a very different 'result' all the way through haven't they.

Just not case of oranges with oranges sadly IMO.

Not defending the useless bastards here by way, but due to all the mistakes made and the high death toll, they are in and will remain in a mode where they are extremely risk averse.....it means like in many ways we'll have to live with restrictions longer, not enjoy freedoms others can etc - but that is what happens when a govt is incompetent and goes into self protection mode.

It would almost certainly be safe and right to have full grounds again in Sep for example, we won't see it though as there will be some report from SAGE etc that models it could cause worst case scenario X deaths and as a result the govt won't take any sort of risk of it happening....

Like most of the way through all this, we'll end up with some over complicated, poorly thought through halfway house job.

Didn't know about this.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk

Given a vaccination rate of 3,107,602 a week and an uptake of 70.6%, you should expect to receive your first dose of vaccine between 25/04/2021 and 12/06/2021.

You should then get your second dose by between 18/07/2021 and 04/09/2021.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

No chance.

Never?!

33 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

By the time the gubmint will allow it there will be a Super League played in front of 70,000 paid avatars and live streamed online.

All jokes aside, I don’t understand how anyone can suggest that we’ll never have full stadiums again. What am I missing here?

18 minutes ago, Brownie said:

All jokes aside, I don’t understand how anyone can suggest that we’ll never have full stadiums again. What am I missing here?

Coronavirus isn't going away.....it is/will be endemic....every time case rates go up, the calls for social distancing will grow and mass gatherings like pop concerts, footy etc are the easiest targets to cut.

I really want to be wrong on this by the way - but i just can't see the scientists letting it go back to how it was.

27 minutes ago, an tha said:

Coronavirus isn't going away.....it is/will be endemic....every time case rates go up, the calls for social distancing will grow and mass gatherings like pop concerts, footy etc are the easiest targets to cut.

I really want to be wrong on this by the way - but i just can't see the scientists letting it go back to how it was.

You’ll have your health passport saying you’re clean, up to date with your jabs etc. Like you I don’t see this disappearing anytime soon, hope I’m wrong.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Surely once 80 to 90% of the population have been vaccinated we can get close to a return to normality? 

The UK is close to 20% now. Come August we should be in a position to have almost full stadiums again?

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Coronavirus isn't going away.....it is/will be ing it go back to how it was.

Like the flu. Or pneumonia. Couple years from now. Nobody batted an eye when flu deaths went up or down. The trick is to get the numbers to similar levels of shit we have had to deal with everyday.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

I think even for you, this is overly pessimistic. It’s not going away but we'll probably have a vaccine every year like the flu.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Surely once 80 to 90% of the population have been vaccinated we can get close to a return to normality? 

The UK is close to 20% now. Come August we should be in a position to have almost full stadiums again?

I'd have said less than that. It'd not recommended for u16's, so that takes another c.13m that likely won't be done as well. 

So, that would be c.54m to do. Didn't Vallance say about a year ago that herd immunity kicks in at 60% and then the virus starts to decline? Although I appreciate it'll never fully go away, based on that, with no other knowledge, I reckon once 60% have been vaccinated (c.32m) have been done, which obviously includes the most vulnerable, things will start returning to normal-ish. 

If they reckon all over 50's will have had it come May, thats c.25m done already.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I think I’ll genuinely have a tear in my eye  when I see a packed Anfield again. I will absolutely never take it for granted again, I used to this it was bollix the “football without fans in nothing” but fuck me have I come to realise it.

Absolutely. That first YNWA I'll be crying my fucking eyes out either there or watching. Just watching any game will make me emotional, even hearing the roar at Goodison when they run out will give me goosebumps. I miss the crowds so much. That BT sport advert saying we will see you again soon is superbly done. Football without fans truly is nothing. 

50 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

People need a second jab and it takes a month from inoculation to max efficacy. Add to that mutations that will not respond well to current vaccines and we have a semi permanent situation that wont disappear until most of the world gets access to vaccines. What should improve is treatment for those that get sick so we see the mortality rate right down. I don't think there is any likelihood we will see full stadiums this year.