You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fans back in stadiums

LFC 6 Times

I logged on at 3 and it looked to me like it was the whole of the Kop as an option or two small sections of the main stand.  I went for the main stand because I want to be able to actually see the game.  Pointless being in the Kop with no atmosphere.  I don’t know why they’ve chosen it as the main section to put the fans in.

I hope they bring the prem trophy out.  I know there’s only going to be 2000 there but they deserve a standing ovation for 90 minutes.

Felt like there was more staff there than fans.  It was really good.  Fans were definitely sat a lot closer than I thought they would be though.  There were no empty rows.  I had someone one seat to the left on the row front of me in the main stand. There were two seats between people on rows.  If someone wants to go out for a piss or something to eat them they’re sliding past you like any normal game.  Everyone around me kept their masks on.  I’ve seen a few comments about people dropping them or taking them off on the telly but I honestly think they’re few a far between.

I thought putting the majority of the fans in the kop was a stupid idea at first because it’s hard to see the other end of the pitch and I didn’t want to get VAR’d celebrating but on reflection it was a good decision.  Those 1500 fans or whatever in one stand can get the chants and songs going.  It creates the atmosphere to give us a bit of an advantage if there is any.  You wouldn’t get that with everyone spread out around the ground.

There was a renewed sense of togetherness I thought.  Plenty of different people were starting songs and nobody was left hanging looking like a tit.  I was looking over at the Kop and the majority were standing for the first 30 mins and then they started the tannoy and the stewards going around getting everyone to sit down.  I just thought fuck off you boring twats.

There were a few moments where it goes completely silent and if you want to try to bodybag a player with some witty abuse they will definitely hear you.  I considered shouting to Klopp I fucking love you Jurgen and also telling Coady when he drifted out toward the main stand he was a woolly back cheating twat but shit out on both occasions.  I pictured my voice breaking and it being a massive fail.

• Upvote 6

Made a big difference to the atmosphere watching the game and hopefully we'll be allowed more than 2000 soon. 

It looked like everybody crowded out as usual at the end. I'd assumed the stewards would let everybody out row by row instead of allowing the usual scrum. The safer the experience, the sooner we'll be allowed greater numbers. 

44 minutes ago, Numero said:

I had assumed the 2000 would be spread out through the stadium, not all in one stand. So, why not more fans similarly spread out in the other stands? If the exit was staggered, I don’t see much difference. 

Think the idea is it's easier to manage fans accessing just one stand rather than all for, limits the number of stewards and check in points and, results in more noise from the fans when in one spot?

I think that’s the argument a lot of people were putting forward.  The 2000 fans number was clearly not very well thought through.  2000 fans in a 50-60k seater is not the same as 2000 fans in a 10k seater.  There was also clearly no advice given on spreading the fans throughout the stadium.  This has meant a few clubs have used that to their advantage and put the majority of fans in one stand to create an atmosphere.  If they can get away with doing that then you may as well put them in the other stands.

The reality was for me that there was generally social distancing as in the main stand there is decent leg room so the people on the row in front of you are still not right next to you.  In the Kop though I think people en masse were too close to each other by not having every other row empty.  At the end of the game after Klopp had done his fist pumps everyone basically walked out and it was like any other match day leaving the ground.  People just want to get out and all social distancing just evaporates.  This is with only 2000 in the ground.  You can’t control people leaving.

I think the club and the government have missed a trick with this as well.  They should have made it mandatory and easy access for every match going fan to take a test within 24 hours of going and then follow it up with another 7 days later regardless of symptoms to see if there were any trends.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if more areas become Tier 2 next week, whether those season ticket holders (ie me) have a chance of applying for any of the games over Xmas or into the New Year?

When we get a great result and I'm not there, as happy as I am, I always feel it's a bit bittersweet. As much as I loved last Sunday's result & performance, I was incredibly envious of those singing "Bring On The Champions" & fist pumping Kloppo at the end.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Any chance we'll be back for the start of next season? It's fucking pitiful in these empty stadiums truth be told.

Unlikely IMO

Glastonbury was cancelled yesterday and the narrative now seems to be that the vaccine is 'not a magic bullet' - transmission is still possibly a problem and restrictions will probably still be in place until Summer.

You can bet your life that mass gatherings will be one of the last things to come back, and even if they do the days of 53,000 inside Anfield are gone IMO, be lucky to see half of that in next couple of years.

7 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Any chance we'll be back for the start of next season? It's fucking pitiful in these empty stadiums truth be told.

Not according to Sky and Twitter this is turning into the best season ever what with all the twists and turns

I’m just glad when you look back on us winning it the majority of the games and the great wins were in packed stadiums 

10 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

August is a long way off and next season will likely start late August with the Euro Championships supposedly being held this year.

Given the vaccination programme, Im hopeful fans will be back in stadiums when the next PL season starts. Not sure we'll have full admittance even post vaccine and I think a portion of fans may never return to stadiums by choice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2021 at 00:20, LFC 6 Times said:

Looking like the vaccine deployment is massively successful in UK, could we be looking at full stadiums by start of next season?

Dunno, I just can't see it. 53,000 people in a stadium in August? 6 months away? Fingers crossed January 2022 maybe?