You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Big Football Podcast

Dan Vito Corleone

Hi everyone, hope you're doing well. 

I have started my own podcast over the last few months as a weekly distraction from the weird and wacky times of 2020. The topic is football. Of all shapes and sizes. I have kept back on promoting this on TLW (thanks for permission Dave) because I knew I was getting a guest on. 

I think this is the most interesting show we've done so far as TLW's own Stu Monty talks about life in the semi-pro leagues, how COVID has affected their seasons and we also go on to talk about PPV, Project Big Picture and a revamp of the Europa League.

Would really appreciate a listen and a subscription. This is a new lockdown hobby so I am still finding my feet but the two lads I do it with, despite their choice of clubs, are good football men who talk a lot of sense. You can catch it here:

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-cb4mm-ef4448
https://castbox.fm/episode/The-Big-Football-Podcast---October-14th-2020-id3289993-id315757186?country=gb
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-big-football-podcast/id1530179647

If you ask Alexa to play The Big Football Podcast by Daniel Thomas, she will do exactly that which was really cool and unnerving at the same time. 

Dave is going to be joining me, hopefully next week. Thanks for any support and hope you're all well. 

• Upvote 8

• 1 month later...

@Stu Monty joined me again this week for a talk about stats in football. I'm not into stats at all but I think Stu did a really good job of explaining their use. 

Latest episode is here:

https://thebigfootballpodcast.podbean.com/e/the-big-football-podcast-24th-november-2020/

Also available on Castbox, iTunes, you can ask Alexa and now also on Spotify. Cheers for all your support, it's appreciated. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Agt Provocateur said:

@Stu Monty joined me again this week for a talk about stats in football. I'm not into stats at all but I think Stu did a really good job of explaining their use. 

Latest episode is here:

https://thebigfootballpodcast.podbean.com/e/the-big-football-podcast-24th-november-2020/

Also available on Castbox, iTunes, you can ask Alexa and now also on Spotify. Cheers for all your support, it's appreciated. 

You missed a trick there not inviting Code

• Upvote 2

It’s a really good listen.  I’m not quoting him here but I think the important thing Stu points out is that there’s a difference between the stats the clubs are using and developing to find out answers to problems and the stats that internet warriors like Code scout around for to back up their already formed and immovable (usually laughably wrong) opinion.

The great thing about football is that there are just so many variables on and off the pitch.  It’s what makes stats so difficult to use.  In sports like Baseball, Cricket and even NFL they’re stop start.  You play to a thrown/bowled ball or play in 5-10 second bursts.  It’s so much easier to see through stats how good individual players are or decision making is.  The only comparable variable really is the role of a quarter back.  There’s so many things that are out of their control that can effect their performance.  Not as much as an individual footballer though.

I think XG is definitely a load of shite though.  A side can score a goal first like we did in the champions league final and then play the percentage game of twatting it up the pitch under any pressure.  The XG will then say you were shit but in reality the team managed the game the way they needed to.  The same goes for that risky pass thing that was mentioned.  Xabi was an outrageously good passer of the ball and is therefore more likely to be able to hit that pass than Lucas for example and that doesn’t get factored in.

I think the heading thing is massively skewed.  The balls were a lot heavier years ago and they were definitely heading the ball a lot more than now because the game was far worse technically.  The fella at Hope Uni who did a study just stunk of someone trying to make a name for himself.  He got players to head a ball 20 times in a row and then “measured” their cognitive response which he said was clearly effected.  This then makes national news.  Players very rarely head a ball 20 times in a game never mind in the space of a few minutes and his answer to that was he thought it wouldn’t be too much different.  It was laughable.

• Upvote 1