You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - George Michael vs Bruce Springsteen

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - George Michael vs Bruce Springsteen  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - George Michael vs Bruce Springsteen

• George Michael
    • Bruce Springsteen

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/20 at 15:04

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

I really like George Michael. He was very talented and had a great voice. And seemed like a lovely fella as well. 

Springsteen is another level though. One of the biggest rock stars on the planet and one of the very best live acts. He gets my vote, no problem. 

Born to run - Darkness on the edge of town - The river is an amazing run of records. 

Come on..... You must be raging a bit surely 

2 minutes ago, El Diego said:

My main regret in life is not seeing Bruce live more. The feeling of 40,000 people singing badlands back at the boss can’t be put into words. Think YNWA on the kop and times it by 100. Can’t wait to see him again.

Seen him live four times. Wish it was 40. 

1 hour ago, Code said:

I’ll go for George Michael, he’s more of a solo artist than Bruce Springsteen.

Possible winner this.

George Michael really was a genius, other artist were queeing up to do stuff together with him for a reason.

I love your way of promoting George Michael being more of a solo artist is to show him doing duets. 

Springsteen was an easy vote for me on this one. While I actually think George Michael was really good and for sure would maybe land in any top 10 for me, the journey with Springsteen for me has been brilliant since listening to a radio city "3 in a row" back in about 81/82. I've been to countless concerts and found all kinds of different music because of Bruce. A night at a Springsteen show gives you the feel good for days after like a great trip on mushrooms does. 

As for what someone mentioned about a video prompter with the lyrics on, I've never heard that one and since he got back touring with the e street band in the late 90s the shows are probably more diverse than any show on the road in terms of content and back catalogue, so I'm not too sure it would be that easy to achieve as most of the set lists happen as they go along - he's famed for the prepared set list lasting 2 or 3 songs and then being fucked off. However, Springsteen has always been known as a perfectionist, I remember a story of a roadie getting sacked who forgot to put a giant air fan on at some key moment - to be fair that was the roadies only job, but still harsh, 1 mistake and you're out (or so the story goes) - so it would be no great shock if he wanted the lyrics as an insurance policy. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Seen him live four times. Wish it was 40. 

I’ve seen him eleven times. First saw him in 2007, I was 25. What a complete waste of 25 years on planet earth. I’ll never forgive myself for missing the reunion tour.

4 hour setlists. Over 300 different songs played on the last tour. Nobody can come close to Bruce & the E street band live. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

George Michael for me. Brilliant talent in his 20s but I don’t think the full extent of his drug problems was fully publicised. He was an actual crack addict. He spent a year in a posh rehab in Switzerland, a whole fucking year at £100k a month. That’s a proper habit. I feel bad if I open a second bottle of wine on a Friday night. Anyway a great songwriter before the drugs. 

I'd always quite liked him and the Wham stuff, but then happened to see him live (circa 2006) and realised I knew every song and was fucking great. 

7 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

George Michael for me. Brilliant talent in his 20s but I don’t think the full extent of his drug problems was fully publicised. He was an actual crack addict. He spent a year in a posh rehab in Switzerland, a whole fucking year at £100k a month. That’s a proper habit. I feel bad if I open a second bottle of wine on a Friday night. Anyway a great songwriter before the drugs. 

The only reason you should feel bad for opening a second bottle of wine is if it's done before finishing the first.

Anyone who manages to turn around a crack habit gets kudos from me. That stuff is very moreish. I’ve gone for George in this one as he has had some killer songs over the years and I never listen to Bruce Springsteen. The one about bumming people outside is seriously funky and gets played regularly to this day in our household.