You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Project Big Picture

luxury_scruff

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

So a bubble of PL clubs (with really only about a dozen on firm ground)  while countless "local" institutions rot on the vine is preferable.

I’ve said that where? 

There are lots to like about the proposal. But the change to voting rights is a no for me. 

The document even states they “can alter in a material way the nature of the competition”. 

Fuck that. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I’ve said that where? 

There are lots to like about the proposal. But the change to voting rights is a no for me. 

The document even states they “can alter in a material way the nature of the competition”. 

Fuck that. 

But they could do that now with a 14 vote right? For me I would make that a weighted voting as opposed to a closed group. I also think going down to 18 teams would be beneficial.

Maybe I misinterpreted this

lots of nice shiny things to distract from the genuine essence of this deal

Has there been substantive talks led by the PL brass about revenue sharing with the lower leagues? Or a bail out under the current conditions?

Don't necessarily think it is a bad thing for poorly run teams to fold tbh but then you can't be bellyaching about the effects on the town/workforce involved etc.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

But they could do that now with a 14 vote right? For me I would make that a weighted voting as opposed to a closed group. I also think going down to 18 teams would be beneficial.

Has there been substantive talks led by the PL brass about revenue sharing with the lower leagues? Or a bail out under the current conditions?

Don't necessarily think it is a bad thing for poorly run teams to fold tbh but then you can't be bellyaching about the effects on the town/workforce involved etc.

As a start to negotiations I don’t have a problem with it. The government and PL have offered fuck all to save lower league clubs. 

There are just a few red flags I’d have. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, aws said:

The relegation threatened clubs and those outside the Big Six are just as capable as anyone of pursuing their own selfish interests as we saw in the null and void debate and as we see now in their reluctance to help out the EFL 

Excellent point mate, how quickly they forget

4 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

As a start to negotiations I don’t have a problem with it. The government and PL have offered fuck all to save lower league clubs. 

There are just a few red flags I’d have. 

I think I read that this is the 17th draft from discussions that started in January - that is just between 2 parties. 

The PL would be/are unable to achieve anything like this imo. Fuck them off entirely and go back to one organization running all football in England.

We all know football sold its soul years ago, including high and mighty FC. Match going fans where looked at as a boil on the arse, so I find it quite funny now that Covid has put the premier league in this position.

The top guys want more and they will eventually get it.

Prepare for more £15 PPV games upcoming

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Maybe I misinterpreted this

lots of nice shiny things to distract from the genuine essence of this deal

Well let’s see how things progress.

But you know for sure, American hedge fund managers aren’t wanting to save fourth tier football clubs out of the kindness of their hearts. 

They’re offering this deal (and the concessions to fans) as they’re banking on more money, control and power from the deal. 

Nothing else. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

They’re offering this deal (and the concessions to fans) as they’re banking on more money, control and power from the deal. 

Well, the system is fucked and it is not because FSG have been around for 10 years.

TBH - as I have said before - there really is no reason, much less a right to pretend there is legitimate demand for 4 leagues of "professional" football. 

So the choices seem to be:

Let the market dictate fiscal reality and the chips fall where they may.

Create a system that subsidizes the lower leagues.

Create some sort of partnership between lower league sides and PL clubs similar to what they have in Spain and Germany, probably not location specific, so more like minor league baseball as an example.

The current leadership of the PL can only accomplish one of the above.

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

I'm suspicious of our owners and the fact the Glazers' are backing it, but from what I've seen the 72 clubs in the Football League stand to benefit massively and it's the less established clubs in the PL that have something to lose. I suspect that the more contentious stuff like the power given to the "big six" (I hate that phrase) and possibly even the reduction of the PL to 18 clubs may have to go, but I don't see anyone else putting proposals forward that will help the smaller clubs. I think pressure will be applied to the naysayers to propose an alternative and I suspect they will have nothing to offer.

Two less hysterical opinion pieces from David Conn of The Guardian from the last two days.

Plan to mend football pyramid's great crack should not be swept off table

Liverpool and Manchester United have infuriated the Premier League, which was kept in the dark, but the premise of their proposal to reunite with the EFL is sound

There are so many extraordinary elements in the Liverpool and Manchester United proposals to reshape English football, and so much understandable scepticism, that the historic move at the heart of it is in danger of being missed.

So, for clarity, it really is true that the US owners of these two fabulously rich football corporations have produced an offer that has not been forthcoming and never seemed possible from any Premier League leadership figures for 28 years.

There are, undoubtedly, some self-serving elements to their prospectus but by far the most significant is the proposal that the Premier League should share a net 25% of its future TV deals with the English Football League, and provide £250m immediately to help the 72 EFL clubs through their financial crisis.

That is an offer, finally after a generation, to rejoin the top division with the three below and repair the vast, calamitous financial gap caused by the breakaway of the First Division from the Football League to form the Premier League in 1992.

The wholly negative reaction of the government to this plan for huge financial reparations, which also includes increased money for the FA and grassroots good causes – approximately 8.5% of annual net Premier League TV money – seems bizarre.

For months throughout this pandemic and its financial crisis for the game and its cherished pyramid, the culture secretary, Oliver Dowden, has been urging the Premier League to use its financial might to help the “football family”.

The Premier League has dithered, delayed and produced nothing solid, despite being told in the spring the EFL had an immediate £250m hole and that many clubs face ruin through a Covid-19 winter of matches in empty grounds. Steve Parish, the chairman of Crystal Palace, recently argued that “Premier League clubs are being unfairly singled out” and should not have to share their money.

“No other industry is asking firms to bail out competitors,” Parish wrote in the Sunday Times before offering some comparisons. “The supermarkets aren’t instructed to help the corner shops. Deliveroo aren’t bailing out your local cafe.”

Quite apart from the assumption that Selhurst Park counts as a supermarket among corner shops, these are dreary arguments that do not merit earnest engagement. It is the kind of reasoning, for the maintenance of inequality, that also makes it more difficult for the Premier League’s middling clubs to be outraged about Liverpool, United and the rest of the big six looking to cement their own power.

With these proposals, United and Liverpool, whose majority owner, John W Henry, is said to have been contemplating the great crack in the English football pyramid for years, have thumped through the last months of stagnation and presented a coming together that has not seemed possible for 25 years.

The idea of the EFL having anything like a 25% share of Premier League TV deals last disappeared in the dust in 1995, when with Rick Parry as the chief executive, the top flight did offer 20% but the Football League board, to the fury of many clubs, rejected it.

When Parry took on the chairmanship of the EFL only one extremely long year ago, he appreciated that the root cause of the 72 clubs’ various financial agonies is the eye-watering gap with the Premier League and the parachute payments that further distort the landscape in the Championship.

When he has spoken up and made that plain, including calling parachute payments “an evil that needs to be eradicated”, he has generally been patronised. The Premier League’s administrators and smaller clubs seem to have been proceeding on the basis they would not be seriously pressured into sharing their money more equitably, as they haven’t for the past quarter-century.

To be fair, nobody except Parry seems to have been aware that Henry, across the Atlantic, was informing himself about all of this, apparently becoming more knowledgeable about the bitter 1992 breakaway than many English football people who really should know that history better. And of all people who could be expected to support the idea of putting the game back together, it turns out to be Joel Glazer, of the family whose £525m debt-loading, 2005 takeover of United has been such a burden at Old Trafford and caused so much rancour and unhappiness.

Of course it is also true this proposal does not come without some pain but that Henry and Glazer do not envisage feeling any of it themselves. There is a planned consolidation of voting power within the Premier League of the big six plus the three outside clubs that have been in the top flight longest, Everton, Southampton and West Ham, and that is simply not a good look. The 25% for the EFL is mostly to be found by reducing the Premier League to 18 clubs – the original 1990 FA proposal that was never implemented – and scrapping parachute payments, rather than ceding the money out of Old Trafford or Anfield revenues.

United and Liverpool envisage their time being freed for more Champions League matches, which will happen anyway from 2024 when Uefa’s competition is inevitably expanded, and lucrative pre-season tours. They insist their proposals are not an effort to seize more of the Premier League TV money but it is likely other Premier League clubs will get less. It will make it more difficult to break into the top six; the more even competition will be created in the relegation zone.

So, quite rightly, there should be a battle over the detail of these proposals. If the other 14 Premier League clubs want to fight for the maintenance of the one club, one vote system that is understandable; most football people would agree with it.

But the heart of the plan should not be swept off the table, which is for the Premier League to finally reconnect with the EFL, mend the gap and ease the senseless worry that loved and historic clubs will go bust in the time of football’s greatest boom.

How Project Big Picture changed the politics of football in one swoop

Liverpool’s and Manchester United’s plan has been roundly condemned by the Premier League, but leaves the English game in uncharted territory

An apparent lone, sensible voice on the matter amongst the so called sports writers, all of whom have just said 'No!'

Sky has grudgingly started to interview League one and two chairmen who seem overwhelmingly in favour for obvious reasons. Their narrative has been constantly that this boils down to a 14-6 argument but the reality is it is a 78-14 argument. Amusingly enough the biggest mouth on Sky ( unsurprisingly) is Purslow who is totally against the proposals but not being asked how he would have felt if they had earned one point less last season.

In line with most on here I like some of the proposals but disagree with some , and assume this is where negotiations will focus.

- The League Cup would be better if it was for non-euro participants

- More support for the EFL is good ( I think the figures mooted will be reduced to suit the 14 along with concessions re parachute payments )  and the PL has been making excuse after excuse over this for 7 months so strange to see them try to claim the moral high ground over the proposal.

- More financial scrutiny is good.

-  Voting rights is a hot potato but I can't be alone in thinking it odd that Liverpol have the same clout as a team that has been in the league since June and that Paddy Power has already paid out on their relegation. This is where negotiations come in, as Dockers Strike said you don't expect to get everything you propose and Henry / Glazer wouldn't expect it in this case.

• Upvote 3

another interesting thing though i do wonder if the efl clubs are thinking though - or are just desperate for cash so will worry about that later. There seems part of this agreement clubs can pick 8 matches per season as PPV (including overseas) to transmit on their own chosen platform. so this means as well as fewer games due to the reduced number of teams, there will also be games taken away from the calendar for ppv purposes, reducing even more the Premier League TV money pot. So this 25% which is floating downstream is not 25% of what is sold now, but 25% of something vastly reduced in quantity. 

Sky won’t like the idea of clubs being able to sell up to eight games a season through their own channels as they will worry that this will lead to more games being sold that and eroding the reason most of us bother with a Sky subscription. Their coverage of this story will be influenced with that in mind.

Edit - I hadn’t read BW’s response when I posted.

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

This is where negotiations come in, as Dockers Strike said you don't expect to get everything you propose and Henry / Glazer wouldn't expect it in this case.

Yeah I reckon this has been leaked so speed up discussions/negotiations, and the pandemic has made reform more pressing.

• Upvote 1

I see Everton demanded an apology from the big clubs at todays meeting. They were told to do one.

Interesting that they have gone down this route as the stadium partner this looks like a straight up bribe to buy their vote.