You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Redball Liverpool

Sugar Ape

https://www.wsj.com/articles/red-sox-owner-in-talks-for-deal-with-redball-acquisition-11602286661

Red Sox Owner in Talks to Take Sports Holdings Public

Deal with RedBall Acquisition would value Fenway Sports Group at around $8 billion including debt

Boston Red Sox owner John Henry is in talks to join with an investment vehicle for an $8 billion deal that would take his famed sports holdings public, according to people familiar with the matter.

The deal being discussed would merge Fenway Sports Group LLC, which also owns English soccer team Liverpool Football Club, with RedBall Acquisition Corp. RBAC 0.20% , the people said. RedBall is a so-called special purpose acquisition company launched by private-equity firm RedBird Capital Partners and Oakland Athletics executive Billy Beane.

RedBall, which raised $575 million in August to buy businesses in sports and sports-related media and data analytics, plans to raise an additional $1 billion to purchase a stake that will total less than 25% in Fenway Sports Group and value it at $8 billion including debt, some of the people said.

The talks are in the early innings and could still fall apart. Fenway’s investors had a meeting recently to discuss the potential transaction, one of the people said.

Also known as blank-check companies, SPACs effectively turn the traditional model for initial public offerings on its head by raising money before they develop a business. They use the proceeds to make an acquisition—usually within a couple of years—that converts the target into a public company.

There has been an unexpected boom this year in blank-check deal making, which has gone in and out of favor over the years, as an increasingly large stable of startups and other private companies seek a more expeditious route to the public markets and sponsors hunt for opportunities in the economic dislocation caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

FSG investors will obviously want to cash in either wholly or partially at some stage. If they sell out entirely then it'll probably be to some oil state because benevolent multi-billionaires are thin on the ground. So selling just a slice to some new investors is probably the better alternative for the club.  

54 minutes ago, aws said:

FSG investors will obviously want to cash in either wholly or partially at some stage. If they sell out entirely then it'll probably be to some oil state because benevolent multi-billionaires are thin on the ground. So selling just a slice to some new investors is probably the better alternative for the club.  

I personally think everything is negative and hate everything that happens. 

• Upvote 1

This FSG/Beane stuff is suspicious. Beane wanted a football club, but if he'd have bought a percentage of the club, then there would have been public expectations that the money was invested back in us, either through stadium or players, but as they're going the percentage of FSG route, it gets them to the same place but no one will be asking why that money isn't going back into us.

It’ll be interesting to see how much (%) they buy and what they look to do with us. The squad needs investment over the next few years with a fair few hitting 30+ and on a commercial stand point it all seems a bit like its flattening out especially with COVID so they won’t likely increase that on front significantly to immediately justify their investment. I’ll be surprised if they change anything drastically if they come in. It’ll likely be more of the same.

21 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

It’ll be interesting to see how much (%) they buy and what they look to do with us. The squad needs investment over the next few years with a fair few hitting 30+ and on a commercial stand point it all seems a bit like its flattening out especially with COVID so they won’t likely increase that on front significantly to immediately justify their investment. I’ll be surprised if they change anything drastically if they come in. It’ll likely be more of the same.

It will be absolutely zero to do with squad building. 

I dont think anything will change. The Echo like to poke the hornet's nest, stand back and admire the ensuing fallout. People are already assuming if this Billy Bean's mob 'buy' into FSG, all the money's going to come Liverpool's way.

The Echo is linking Bean's supposed desire to buy an English football club and buying into FSG as one and the same. Unless this group are specifically buying a part of Liverpool and not just buying into the whole FSG operation, then I cannot see any sizable amounts of money making it to the club.

Obviously other opions abound but Id keep your powder dry to see if the story has real legs and who's buying what.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

It will be absolutely zero to do with squad building. 

Yes that’s my point, I don’t see why they would invest in our parent company when we will shortly need to spend to refresh our squad While at the same time are hardly likely to be building on commercial revenue in the short term?

Clearly I’m missing something maybe the other entities in the FSG portfolio have room for growth? Tbh I don’t pay any attention to what else they own and how those sports teams are doing.

If a deal happened, it would be like the private equity firm who bought a stake in City Football Group, the entity which owns Man City and several other clubs around the world. Only there wouldn't be money funnelling into the club via dodgy state-level back channels, offshore tax havens and dubious sponsorship deals.