You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League to charge £14.95 PPV for each non-televised games

1892-LFCWasBorn

Seeing as a lot of people are in fairly precarious situations with their jobs then this is the usual greed inspired stupidity from the clubs. But to be fair, you'd probably spend a bit more going to watch one match at the ground than you would in a month of televised PPV matches. Say on average it's 4 matches a month? That's around £80/£90 to follow your team, you could easily spend that on a single Saturday.

I'll be sticking to IPTV anyway but for those who don't want to then it's an option, even if in the current climate it's expensive.

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's a horrendous price but they do that because someone has calculated that people will pay that. Up to the consumer to prove them wrong. 

And this is the rub of it. Want to change their minds then just don’t pay it. If only the population of Dunny On The Wold watch the first couple of PPV games, watch them start scrambling.

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Seeing as a lot of people are in fairly precarious situations with their jobs then this is the usual greed inspired stupidity from the clubs. But to be fair, you'd probably spend a bit more going to watch one match at the ground than you would in a month of televised PPV matches. Say on average it's 4 matches a month? That's around £80/£90 to follow your team, you could easily spend that on a single Saturday.

I'll be sticking to IPTV anyway but for those who don't want to then it's an option, even if in the current climate it's expensive.

These will be the calculations made by people who get paid a lot of money to figure out these things. Watching your team for the entire month for less than going to the game once, plus the ease with which you can do it. 

People forced to stay in, we gave them the drug for free, now they are addicted, we up the price.

• Upvote 1

This season is shite anyway. No fans in the stadium isn't working. It might have been okay as a temporary measure at the end of last season, but to play a whole season like this is a sham. 

A sham! 

But the TV companies have got what they always wanted - no fans in the stadium, a home audience ready and waiting, bent over and wallets open. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

The illegality thing doesn’t enter my thinking. Being a 50 year old technophobe kills it dead. To be fair, I’ve managed to get a certain app on my iPad that allows me to watch matches that aren’t shown on Sky and BT, and I’ve also managed to stream a fair few on my laptop thanks to @Bjornebye.

Woah woah woah woah woah 

• Upvote 1

I imagine the 15 quid a game price is due to a few factors.  If nearly all of the money is going to go to the clubs and not the broadcasters then only really the fans of the individual clubs are going to pay to watch the game.  It’s probably bad to admit it but my second most watched team will be United because I want to see them get beat.  I would never pay money directly to watch a game of theirs though especially if that money was going to go to them.

The thinking will be that if they charge £6/7 a game fans still won’t pay that to watch teams they aren’t bothered about.  The only times people may do this is if it’s a big game like Liverpool v United or City etc.  So they charge the higher price knowing that the fans of those clubs will still pay it.

This is just for 3pm games, right?  Games that wouldn't have been shown anyways.  Clearly, this is just the PL testing to see how many people are stupid enough to pay over the odds, like corporate hospitality for TV.  Actually, if they sent round a pizza express and a michelob, I might be up for it.

By comparison MLB.tv is about £120 or so for the year for every game from every team. Plus they have apps for pretty much every platform you can think of. That's 2430 games for £120 and the Premier League want £15 per fucking game. I stopped going to watch Blyth Spartans live because it went over a tenner and I thought it was too much money. 

I know it's baseball and loads aren't interested, but not only do you get every game but the apps and the overlays on MLB.tv are absolutely brilliant as well with all of the stats and data you could possibly think of wanting. You also have full HD replays available of absolutely every game in addition. 

Everything about British football is basically a fucking con, the prices for Sky, BT etc. are a pisstake as is, ticket prices are fucking mental, shirt prices are ridiculous.

The trouble is, rather than people not doing it you just know plenty of dickheads will pay it and longer term it's what they'll end up doing with the Premier League.

If they ever did actually get to the point they can stop illegal streams I really wouldn't be bothering to watch the match at all. 

I'm not spending 60 or 70 quid per month for Sky and BT just to be able to watch our matches (I've long since stopped watching any other teams) or ending up having to pay £570 to watch all of ours at £15 per game.

£100 per year or so I reckon I could justify. The "value" of the "best league in the world" isn't worth anything more than that in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

Covid football is absolute shit compared to normal football. It’s the John Lewis Xmas advert tediously pared-down cover of a classic versus the original. I’m struggling to retain interest as it is, let alone being asked to pay through the nose for it. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Covid football is absolute shit compared to normal football. It’s the John Lewis Xmas advert tediously pared-down cover of a classic versus the original. I’m struggling to retain interest as it is, let alone being asked to pay through the nose for it. 

Your head has fallen off because the blues are going to win the league.

13 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

The illegality thing doesn’t enter my thinking. Being a 50 year old technophobe kills it dead. To be fair, I’ve managed to get a certain app on my iPad that allows me to watch matches that aren’t shown on Sky and BT, and I’ve also managed to stream a fair few on my laptop thanks to @Bjornebye.

Its the technical aspect also for me, although I would say that quite a few mates have eulogised about how great these pirate sites are and offered to show me the error of my ways which tends to equate to me watching a frozen picture of what may or may not be Liverpool players and the mate in question telling me this doesn't normally happen.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Rotpeter said:

How many 3PM games do we normally have each year?  Anyone know?

I reckon it's less than 10, maybe as few as half a dozen. The problem now though is they pick is because they want us on for the viewing figures. Now it makes more sense to pick wba v Fulham and have Liverpool v man united on ppv. 

Personally I think if they're doing this they should just be offering people an entire season ST which would allow them to back out of their sky deal. But for loads of reasons, that won't happen. 

I think 15 quid is a bit steep, but equally I'd normally go down the ale house to watch it, which would cost a load more than a few cans and a ppv. 

40 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I reckon it's less than 10, maybe as few as half a dozen. The problem now though is they pick is because they want us on for the viewing figures. Now it makes more sense to pick wba v Fulham and have Liverpool v man united on ppv. 

Personally I think if they're doing this they should just be offering people an entire season ST which would allow them to back out of their sky deal. But for loads of reasons, that won't happen. 

I think 15 quid is a bit steep, but equally I'd normally go down the ale house to watch it, which would cost a load more than a few cans and a ppv. 

If it's just the 3pms and the revenues continue to the clubs, you'd hope competition would keep it sensible.

I never cease to be amazed at how 'they' get away with creating artificial scarcity and then scamming us with stuff like this.

30 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

If it's just the 3pms and the revenues continue to the clubs, you'd hope competition would keep it sensible.

I never cease to be amazed at how 'they' get away with creating artificial scarcity and then scamming us with stuff like this.

It's a simple model though. It's because of your loyalty to the club which then creates interest in the domestic product. If it was a genuinely competitive for customers, we might even fuck off and watch a different league. So it becomes stump up or fuck off. (Or sign up to an IPTV service)

It's a bit like the kits, they've priced them.at a stupid level this year, so more people than ever are going to China for theirs. 

6 hours ago, sir roger said:

Its the technical aspect also for me, although I would say that quite a few mates have eulogised about how great these pirate sites are and offered to show me the error of my ways which tends to equate to me watching a frozen picture of what may or may not be Liverpool players and the mate in question telling me this doesn't normally happen.

I’ve honestly lost count of the amount of times this exact thing has happened.

I remember a load of us going around to one of the lads to watch a game for him to tell us he’d fucked Sky off the month before and had got a dodgy box but not to worry because it was great.  5 mins into the game it goes tits up.  It was a televised game so I said to go back to mine and watch it there which the response was not to worry it comes back on.  After spending the rest of the first half switching through this knows how many channels everyone got pissed off and came to mine.

• Upvote 2