You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ray Clemence

1892-LFCWasBorn

Gutted to hear this news today. Cancer truly is a cunt. Clem was my dads favourite player (so much so that when I was born in '73 I was named Ray) and he also died from cancer at 72. Today has opened a floodgate of memories and I'm feeling quite emotional.

RIP

YNWA

• Like 2
  • Upvote 19

A great loss, my favourite Clem story is about when he signed. Shanks told him he would go straight into the team as Tommy Lawrence was 35 and ready to quit. When Clem arrived He discovered The Flying Pig was 29 and Clem  didn’t play for the first team for two years. Today’s young players have asked for a transfer immediately. Incidentally Clem was the regular England keeper before while he was still the reserves’ number 1. In those days to the under 23s were a significant team. 

• Upvote 1

My cousin idolised him so much that he supported Tottenham. Bit weird when your Dad plays for Liverpool and you grow up in Liverpool. He even made my Uncle drive him to London for games and they both managed to meet him after the game and go back to his house. 

I was a bit too young to see him play for Liverpool but everyone who saw him play said he was one of the best goalkeepers ever. As we know now, the difference between having an outstanding keeper and an average one is so important. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

How come Big Nev has never been touched by their bitterness? He is truly an Everton legend too,but a top bloke also.

I think he's just aware of a lot of issues outside of football such as racism, homphobia, inequality and takes an avid interest in politics so probably doesn't take the tribal aspects of football seriously. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, m0e said:

Anyone know why he left us for Spurs? I've heard it was to do with wanting a new challenge, and wanting to stake a claim for England number 1.

Never really seen it confirmed anywhere.

My Dad had some bizarre theory that he had borrowed money off local gangsters and hadn't paid it back for whatever reason. Dont know why he would need to borrow money off a local gangster or why the gangster couldn't drive to London to find out where he lived. Not like he was moving to play for Flamengo. 

My Dad lurching into Evertonian taxi driver mode there.  

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

My cousin idolised him so much that he supported Tottenham. Bit weird when your Dad plays for Liverpool and you grow up in Liverpool. He even made my Uncle drive him to London for games and they both managed to meet him after the game and go back to his house. 

I was a bit too young to see him play for Liverpool but everyone who saw him play said he was one of the best goalkeepers ever. As we know now, the difference between having an outstanding keeper and an average one is so important. 

Who was your uncle again mate?

3 hours ago, Peter Cormack said:

A great loss, my favourite Clem story is about when he signed. Shanks told him he would go straight into the team as Tommy Lawrence was 35 and ready to quit. When Clem arrived He discovered The Flying Pig was 29 and Clem  didn’t play for the first team for two years. Today’s young players have asked for a transfer immediately. Incidentally Clem was the regular England keeper before while he was still the reserves’ number 1. In those days to the under 23s were a significant team. 

I just read he wore Tommy Lawrence's baggy shirt for ages. 

Also there was one story about how he apologised to Shanks for letting the ball through his legs saying he should of closed them and Shanks replied your Mam should of closed hers. 

Something like that. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

I think he's just aware of a lot of issues outside of football such as racism, homphobia, inequality and takes an avid interest in politics so probably doesn't take the tribal aspects of football seriously. 

Yeah,its amazing what you actually learn when you don't take such an obsessive interest in your geographical football rivals. You can become more educated and be a decent person because of it. Maybe more people should try it?