You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ray Clemence

1892-LFCWasBorn

10 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I'd have been standing right in the middle of the goalmouth on the same level as the two stanchions. 

Thinking of you Clem.

Ha! You were probably feet away from me! I used to stand about level with the crossie and left hand post join as you look at the goal.

36 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Ha! You were probably feet away from me! I used to stand about level with the crossie and left hand post join as you look at the goal.

I used to stand about the same level behind the other post! 

9 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I started going on my own 76-77 season when I was 13, but usually with my Dad for the midweek or European Cup games, but with him prior to then.

The atmosphere in the ground then was just unbelievable.

I still think the loudest noise I ever heard was the roar when Davy Fairclough  scored the winner against St Etienne. My ears were ringing for days.

The only tickets we could get for the semi final against Zurich we're for the Anny Road and lads were running the length of the pitch to try and get in the Kop before kick off. I was going to try but my Dad stopped me saying if I got caught I'd get chucked out.

He was right and I'm glad because not only did we see the Bizzies grab a few lads, I wouldn't have seen the Kop, live, in all its glory as I'd only ever been on the Kop before.

Magnificent.

I can't go anymore, haven't for over 20 years because of illness, so I treasure the memories I have.

Sorry to hear that H, I'm an armchair fan myself but also have great memories, I used to go with my Dad and his mate up until I was about 13 but in the Main Stand, then when with me mates it was sometimes in the Kop but mainly the Anny Rd. 

I remember one time when collecting tickets he made me look at Billy Liddell getting out of his car, the older ones hero. 

But yes a special place, and tear came to my eye as I looked at that Ray Clemence picture and his tweet

We are so lucky to have been part of it whether it was the 60s 70s or 80s and now some of that has returned, and though it won't be the same hopefully I'll return too one day, I only go when they're down here and I don't think this much chance of that come Feb 2nd.

Treasure your memories mate, as I've said we've been fortunate to see something very special. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Used to have a season ticket for Row 20 Seat 84,which I got when the Kop became all seater and was in the area I stood too. Way too expensive for me now.

i was seat 81, we must have hugged at some point!

Heart attack stopped me going 2 years ago.

The walk home to Noggsy seemed to take about 3 hours when we lost, 10 minutes when we won.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm not a jealous person in anyway but I'm jealous this morning reading about standing on the kop during these times. I'd love to have done it even once. 

It was special although scary at times, you could literally be moved 20 yards in all directions from where you started.

At away games I always chose a stand ticket which in the light of things may have saved my life as I swapped my Leppings land ground ticket for the stands the night before that dreadful day.

Never missed standing on the Kop once it went all seated.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

It was special although scary at times, you could literally be moved 20 yards in all directions from where you started.

At away games I always chose a stand ticket which in the light of things may have saved my life as I swapped my Leppings land ground ticket for the stands the night before that dreadful day.

The surge could be brutal, you could be literally lifted off your feet, but the atmosphere and the camaraderie was really, really special.

I always got there early to be at more or less the front of the queue for when the turnstiles opened and the ground would be empty, that way you'd be able to get your speck easier, plus I didn't have a season ticket.

People always stood in more or less the same place every game so even though you didn't know them outside of the ground, they became mates, more like family really in the ground.

I remember when they put the railings up to pen us in for the start of the season, 77/78 I think, and people were talking about them saying what the fuck? etc, and some older fella saying "Dangerous, what a fucking stupid idea that is".

He was so right.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

That photo of Clem was the game we beat Tottenham 3-1 to clinch the League in 82,I think? The Kop was having that day and I ended up down at the front because the crush was ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

That photo of Clem was the game we beat Tottenham 3-1 to clinch the League in 82,I think? The Kop was having that day and I ended up down at the front because the crush was ridiculous.

Yea I thought it was but not sure as I think we spanked them again the next season.

And yea,very crushy.

17 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

The surge could be brutal, you could be literally lifted off your feet, but the atmosphere and the camaraderie was really, really special.

I always got there early to be at more or less the front of the queue for when the turnstiles opened and the ground would be empty, that way you'd be able to get your speck easier, plus I didn't have a season ticket.

People always stood in more or less the same place every game so even though you didn't know them outside of the ground, they became mates, more like family really in the ground.

I remember when they put the railings up to pen us in for the start of the season, 77/78 I think, and people were talking about them saying what the fuck? etc, and some older fella saying "Dangerous, what a fucking stupid idea that is".

He was so right.

Amen to ALL of the above.

I was just talking to my Evertonian brother law, he said in about 77  me Dad rang him to come round to the Albion, Hawthorn Rd Bootle, as Ray Clemence was pushing the pennies over, he said he sat with us chatting for an hour and was sound, imagine that now.

Let's hope he gets through this, we've lost quite a few in the past for years, Smith, Thompson, Byrne, Strong and Hall, Lawrence and Moran etc, inevitable I suppose but still gutting. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Great photograph of Ray and his kids.

8F5DD468-20CB-4D3B-B515-E6EF50B9EC94.jpeg

Remember Ray getting booked at the Kop end for doing keepy ups to waste time, can't remember who against but sure it ended with another title.

Most probably the most agile keeper I ever saw. Forget the "cat" at Chelsea.

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

I'm made up I got to grow up on the kop like you and there's certainly things I miss about it, but absolutely no way would I want to go back. I'm not against the idea of safe seating, although like all clubs I think we have enough dickheads that could quickly make that unsafe seating, so sadly I think it would need to be policed (well stewarded) well. But obviously safe standing would never be like the old kop. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm made up I got to grow up on the kop like you and there's certainly things I miss about it, but absolutely no way would I want to go back. I'm not against the idea of safe seating, although like all clubs I think we have enough dickheads that could quickly make that unsafe seating, so sadly I think it would need to be policed (well stewarded) well. But obviously safe standing would never be like the old kop. 

yea, all about nostalgia, but i don't miss idiots with flares. fuck me, it was scary shit when one was lit.