You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

16 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Diop wouldn't be a bad option. Has good height, size and athleticism. Still young so fits this "long term" thing we have to pretend to keep doing. 20m isn't a lot if we have to buy him at some point. 

Who knows about the West Ham thing. Sometimes things don't work out and they work out elsewhere. 

Name one time in our history that a player was out of favour at West Ham then moved to us on a loan to buy then became world class and fucked us off for Barcelona where he continued to be world class. Name one time!

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, El Dangerous said:

Name one time in our history that a player was out of favour at West Ham then moved to us on a loan to buy then became world class and fucked us off for Barcelona where he continued to be world class. Name one time!

You’re right. Not a chance something like this would ever happen. 

37 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Virgil is 30 in June and therefore wont want to throw away any chance of the last 3 international tournaments he can realistically reach. He will definitely be looking to play the last few games of the season to get in the Holland thinking.

I think he'll get in the dutch starting team if he doesn't play 1 second for us providing he's fit. He's the world's best centre back. Holland will have a few friendlies before the tournament. He doesn't need to play for us to achieve that. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I doubt we'd go along with an obligation to buy, though. 

I think it's a bit short sighted of whu anyway, unless they know he's fucked and has long covid or something. If he comes in and does brilliantly, we'll want him to stay and if we don't he'll be wanted all over Europe. We're a team that could won the CL, what a shop window. 

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I remember seeing Coates in the Copa America as a young lad and he was majestic. Genuinely thought he was going to be top class.

Seems to have done quite well in Portugal so happy to see he is having a good career.

They both had decent careers after leaving us, but they didn't look too great here. I think we've not had the best of luck with South American defenders, as there was insua and aurellio too. Insua was just so sloooooooow. And aurellio was great but made matip seem physically robust. 

32 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Not sure, I'm Javier hard time remembering anyone.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Adrian is off to Barcelona? 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think he'll get in the dutch starting team if he doesn't play 1 second for us providing he's fit. He's the world's best centre back. Holland will have a few friendlies before the tournament. He doesn't need to play for us to achieve that. 

Would they need him if they've got Sven Botman who's just come off winning a Champions League for Liverpool?

Another reason to sign him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Liverpool initiated contact for West Ham's Issa Diop. The Reds are trying to attract the French defender into their ranks [@footmercato]

Attracting someone who can't get a game at West Ham to walk into the starting line up of the champions should be very, very easy if we really want to....

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yeah its a weird one with Diop. He was being valued at £70 million after his first season at West Ham, but has now been dropped and hardly features? 

He would still be a massive improvement on Phillips and Williams though. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Of course people are trying to fuck us now because we were trying to be clever and muddle through and hit the panic button on Friday morning. If we'd have got this sorted in the months between when VVD and Gomez got injured and Jan 1st, it'd have been much easier because we weren't up against the clock in a situation where you're giving people the chance to replace. Now all we're going to get are people who can't get a game and we'll get fucked while we do it. 

We play them tomorrow don't we....i am sure we'll somehow find a way to say doing a deal with a club on day/day after you play them was impossible.....

29 minutes ago, an tha said:

Agreed.

Don't know what's happened this lad this year but I watched him closely when he first started in PL . He is a defensive talent and great engine but somewhere in his second season he lost confidence, ended up out of position and making stupid decisions. This is a low risk moneyball signing cause if he gets back to form he is a guaranteed starter beside Virgil in my opinion. Genuinely excited by this good risk to take in our circumstances. 

39 minutes ago, an tha said:

We play them tomorrow don't we....i am sure we'll somehow find a way to say doing a deal with a club on day/day after you play them was impossible.....

I suppose to use some good common sense it might explain why we haven't already got him. Surely they want to wait it out till the game is over? 

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I suppose to use some good common sense it might explain why we haven't already got him. Surely they want to wait it out till the game is over? 

I hope to fuck i am wrong, but i feel we won't get anyone, and it will be all 'we were not going to be held to ransom' 'the right player was not available'....etc.

2 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

Julian Dicks...?

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Surely we wouldn't be forcing that type of deal though in this window though? We need someone who can genuinely play centre back. Although maybe if you've got Phillips doing all the heading an agile player next to him might be ok. 

We’ll never be ok with Phillips at CB. He’s half decent in the air, so in certain situations he can be of some use. Problem is we need a lot more from a CB, and he’s far from good enough on the ball. His passing isn’t good enough, and wirh our high line his lack of pace is also a major problem. He’s a Championship level player at best, and having him in our team makes us significantly weaker both in defence and attack.

The Athletic wrote an interesting article today on Mustafi, Diop & Bremer (Genoa) as players we could sign by COB Monday. 

Diop’s stats say he isn’t really a front foot defender like we seem to prefer. However, this could be due to WHU’s low block, when he has been on the front foot, has a good % at winning the ball. He’s 6’4 and has pace. Questionable use of the ball, but again, could be due to tactical advise. 

Bremer sounded like somebody who would struggle in the Premiership to me. Not the tallest and has a poor ratio at winning headers. He is very good stats on the ball though. 

Mustafi was statistically the best fit for us. He’s unwanted at Arsenal, used to a similar defensive line, knows the Premiership and as he’s out of contact in June, could be signed for a knock down fee. My issue with Mustafi is he’s shite, but to be fair, he’s never played in a good defensive set up at Arsenal.

How it will end up, I dunno. Non are ideal solutions. I wouldn’t want an obligation to buy on Diop, Bremer seems somebody we would need to ease in & Mustafi is garbage. 

In other news, it sounds like we want Konate from RBL in the summer. Has a £35m release clause, but again, has had injury issues. 

43 minutes ago, an tha said:

I hope to fuck i am wrong, but i feel we won't get anyone, and it will be all 'we were not going to be held to ransom' 'the right player was not available'....etc.

Yeah, it would be a very typical trick from our lot. And I fear you're right too, if I'm honest I've been a bit drawn in these last 24 hours with my desperation to see us get someone, but my head tells me it's not serious and it's just a typical play to get the fan boys with a "they tried" bullshit.

5 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

We’ll never be ok with Phillips at CB. He’s half decent in the air, so in certain situations he can be of some use. Problem is we need a lot more from a CB, and he’s far from good enough on the ball. His passing isn’t good enough, and wirh our high line his lack of pace is also a major problem. He’s a Championship level player at best, and having him in our team makes us significantly weaker both in defence and attack.

I don't disagree Joey. I'm not convinced Philipps could even make it in the championship. But Williams is even less prepared for this level, so I'm trying to see a way that keeps him out of the team. Henderson's injury record shows us he won't be playing every match till the season is over and as things stand right now I can't believe we won't see a Williams Philipps partnership at some point down the line.