You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

I don’t know how we could consider a player with skills for centre back to be a right back option in our squad. I know traditionally they’re interchangeable but our full backs aren’t defenders they’re attackers. I’d be more inclined to believe we were looking at wingers as full back options. 

A Case For Lazar Marković

22 minutes ago, Pidge said:

and if that chance is anything above 0, he'll probably want to stay in.

But if it's not, then he won't be arsed. And you know what, as nice as it is to give him a target, tough shit. You can't not sign a player for the remaining 18 games because VVD might make the bench for the final game. 

Just now, El Dangerous said:

I don’t know how we could consider a player with skills for centre back to be a right back option in our squad. I know traditionally they’re interchangeable but our full backs aren’t defenders they’re attackers. I’d be more inclined to believe we were looking at wingers as full back options. 

Look at Gomez for example...OK he can play RB confortably, bit in our team with what we ask of a fullback he is no good there.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

The thing is though if you were looking for backup to Trent, would you go for a lad who I assume is a bit of a defender if he plays RB and CB? Trent is a midfielder with some defensive duties imo, so to cover him you need something similar. If I'm honest and sticking with klopps tradition of using midfielders everywhere, I'd use chamberlain as back up to Trent. Personally I thought he played his best football for arsenal as wing back. 

I'm not saying this won't happen (I've never watched him either), as who would know, but for me he doesn't seem to solve any problem if he's not a real centre back and he's not at least a wing back as oppose a full back. 

Hard to know what the plan is if we are even after him at all.

The thinking might be that he is flexible in two positions, is a good player with good experience and is a decent price. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

But if it's not, then he won't be arsed. And you know what, as nice as it is to give him a target, tough shit. You can't not sign a player for the remaining 18 games because VVD might make the bench for the final game. 

If it's not, he probably won't, no. I don't think we're going to find out because I doubt it'll ever happen.

Athletic reporting Liverpool have enquired about Issa Diop at West Ham. They have said loan with obligation to buy at £20m. Klopp wants a long term player but MSG want short term player. Prices are being pushed up by clubs as they know how desperate we are.

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Athletic reporting Liverpool have enquired about Issa Diop at West Ham. They have said loan with obligation to buy at £20m. Klopp wants a long term player but MSG want short term player. Prices are being pushed up by clubs as they know how desperate we are.

Sounds a bit salty that. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Why are fsg looking short term because with matip and gomes this is a long term issue. Reality is they want to sell first before they outlay.

I think by short term they mean loan, so whoever we take is not on the books and taking a wage next season, when they'll assume it'll be all ok again. 

14 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

297 mins for West Ham this season....not because he hasn't been available, because he hasn't been picked.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

297 mins for West Ham this season....not because he hasn't been available, because he hasn't been picked.

Of course people are trying to fuck us now because we were trying to be clever and muddle through and hit the panic button on Friday morning. If we'd have got this sorted in the months between when VVD and Gomez got injured and Jan 1st, it'd have been much easier because we weren't up against the clock in a situation where you're giving people the chance to replace. Now all we're going to get are people who can't get a game and we'll get fucked while we do it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Yeah its a weird one with Diop. He was being valued at £70 million after his first season at West Ham, but has now been dropped and hardly features? 

He would still be a massive improvement on Phillips and Williams though. 

26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Virgil is 30 in June and therefore wont want to throw away any chance of the last 3 international tournaments he can realistically reach. He will definitely be looking to play the last few games of the season to get in the Holland thinking.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Would much rather us spend 10 million on a boss young defender from South America who could be a superstar than lash 20 million on someone who is a West Ham reject.

I wouldn't say he was a West Ham reject. 

Just reading about him and he tested postitive for Covid on the 22nd of September and hasn't played much since then, so wonder if its a case of him struggling with the effects of that, and or West Ham doing well without him and Moyes staying loyal to the players that came in.

A boss young defender in South America could end up being worse than Phillips and Williams! See Palletta and Coates for reference. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I wouldn't say he was a West Ham reject. 

Just reading about him and he tested postitive for Covid on the 22nd of September and hasn't played much since then, so wonder if its a case of him struggling with the effects of that, and or West Ham doing well without him and Moyes staying loyal to the players that came in.

A boss young defender in South America could end up being worse than Phillips and Williams! See Palletta and Coates for reference. 

Fair points that. Didn't know he tested positive for covid so that could have impacted on him the past few months.

Diop wouldn't be a bad option. Has good height, size and athleticism. Still young so fits this "long term" thing we have to pretend to keep doing. 20m isn't a lot if we have to buy him at some point. 

Who knows about the West Ham thing. Sometimes things don't work out and they work out elsewhere. 

Agree, Diop is the best name we have been linked with. 

Just had a glance at a West Ham Forum and the very first subject is about the amount of centre backs they have!

First post;

"For the first time in a very long time we seem to have a lot of good/decent/competent/promising CBs at the club

Ogbonna, Dawson, Balbuena, Diop and then Creswell, Rice and perhaps even Johnson as stop gaps
Then Alese, Alves, Baptiste and Greenidge coming through and looking promising

Perhaps all of them are benefitting from Moyes (and his Coaching staff) who know a bit about that position

And now don't get me wrong, because I don't want this to happen, but looking at all these names I've mentioned,
I could see it as something fairly logical to cash in on Issa Diop now, before his value drops even further after a season on the bench?

I love Issa, I'd hate for him to leave, but with Mourinho and Klopp needing a CB urgently, it wouldn't surprise me if
he left the club this weekend, despite Moyes' comments to the contrary"