You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Both things are correct. 

He clearly isn't good enough long term but considering his experience of professional football consists of half a season in the German second tier I reckon he's done pretty well. 

That's fair enough 

Feel sorry for Rhys, doesn't deserve any of the shit he is getting. He shouldn't be near being a regular option for the first team and has come in and done his best and been ok, seen far far worse. Just being expected to make the jump from what is essentially a bottom half league 6 team to a team playing champions league and trying to defend a league title is ridiculous. Playing in a position that any mistake you make can lead to conceding is tough enough as it is, trying to do that as a kid at the top level and not even having a regular CB partner is even harder

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Elite said:

We need someone even if it's just back up for Williams and Phillips, that's how bad the situation is.

You're not putting faith in Big Billy the Kid then?

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

A massive part of Phillips problem is his lack of games. He's nearly 24 and he's played less than 30 competitive games. 

I don't understand how or why he is still here really? 

Because we want a good fee for him and nobody thinks he's worth it. 

Matip's long term absence may be the silver lining after all. Since he's so unreliably fit, we might as well miss him for a while and get a new body in. Klopp is talking about him being "... the right player..." and stuff. I'm afraid we cannot afford to be too picky at the moment unless there has been something going on our agents on here have missed.

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You're not putting faith in Big Billy the Kid then?

Because we want a good fee for him and nobody thinks he's worth it. 

What sort of fee were we hoping to get for  a 23 year old with 1 appearance to his name in this country and 22 in the German second tier? His contract is up in 2021, we should have just let him go on a free for the sake of his own career. 

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

What sort of fee were we hoping for, for  a 23 year old with 1 appearance to his name in this country and 22 in the German second tier? His contract is up in 2021, we should have just let him go on a free for the sake of his own career. 

I think we wanted a few million for him. As far as I remember fee was the issue with Stuttgart and if I recal correctly hamburd or Wolfsburg were looking at him too and were put off by price. Nobody is paying that when you can get that level anywhere on a year loan and next to no fee. 

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Hopefully we have a number of idea and we have just been weighing up the best option.

It still pisses me off that we haven't sorted this before now though.  If we had a deal sorted at the start of January, that's 4 maybe 5 league games that they could have been involved in. 

You think? I reckon if that was the case we'd have the player already. I think it's just a question of things are that bad that players previously dismissed are now being deemed as acceptable. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think we wanted a few million for him. As far as I remember fee was the issue with Stuttgart and if I recal correctly hamburd or Wolfsburg were looking at him too and were put off by price. Nobody is paying that when you can get that level anywhere on a year loan and next to no fee. 

The new transfer strategy has worked incredibly well over the last few years, but we've been way too ambitious with our expectation for fees with  Phillips, Wilson and Origi. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You think? I reckon if that was the case we'd have the player already. I think it's just a question of things are that bad that players previously dismissed are now being deemed as acceptable. 

I was trying to be optimistic but I think you're probably right here.  

Just now, MegadriveMan said:

The new transfer strategy has worked incredibly well over the last few years, but we've been way too ambitious with our expectation for fees with  Phillips, Wilson and Origi. 

I think it's the chance they're prepared to take, they've been trying to flog origi for years, but if they start accepting lower fees, that'll happen across the board and I think they're happy to let players run the contract down etc now and again to prove that point - pay us top money or we'll hold on to him. I actually think we weren't that unreasonable about the Wilson fee as he scored plenty of goals for both derby and Bournemouth and should have English tax applied to him. The problem is if he hasn't had that impact with Swansea (I've heard nothing about his form), he'll be worth next to nothing once he's back. 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think it's the chance they're prepared to take, they've been trying to flog origi for years, but if they start accepting lower fees, that'll happen across the board and I think they're happy to let players run the contract down etc now and again to prove that point - pay us top money or we'll hold on to him. I actually think we weren't that unreasonable about the Wilson fee as he scored plenty of goals for both derby and Bournemouth and should have English tax applied to him. The problem is if he hasn't had that impact with Swansea (I've heard nothing about his form), he'll be worth next to nothing once he's back. 

Harry is on loan at Cardiff.

20 appearances, 3 goals & 5 assists in all competitions so far.

Was dropped in favour of another loanee from us, Sheyi Ojo, for their last game (the first under Mick McCarthy).

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That's because he's at Cardiff!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dynamite said:

Harry is on loan at Cardiff.

20 appearances, 3 goals & 5 assists in all competitions so far.

Was dropped in favour of another loanee from us, Sheyi Ojo, for their last game (the first under Mick McCarthy).

Fucking hell, Mick McCarthy. Where did he come from. We should just recall Wilson now. 

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

That's because he's at Cardiff!

That'll be why I've heard nothing! 

29 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Fucking hell, Mick McCarthy. Where did he come from. We should just recall Wilson now. 

That'll be why I've heard nothing! 

Came from a 2 month holiday in Cyprus where he was manager of APOEL for just 8 games.