You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Hope not - right sided and not good enough in the air

I’m sure I read report on him the other day that we didn’t move for him in the summer because of that. 

I’ve no idea if we’ll move for somebody in January. It obviously makes sense but as Carra showed on MNF, of all his great attributes, how dominant Virg was in the air and the reduction in goals we concede from crosses / set pieces is a main benefit. 

It sounds like White isn’t the greatest in the air. Upamecano isnt the tallest either & is probably more in the Gomez mould.

If we’re after a towering centre half, Matip is probably as good as it gets, it’s just a shame he’s never fit.

I don’t think a Klavan type stop go would work either, because given Matip and Gomez’s injury records, they’ll probably, if the season goes as we hope, be expected to play in some huge games. 

I always thought if he avoided serious injury, Virg could easily play into his mid to late 30’s, I’ve no idea if that’ll be the case now. We’re probably having to think about how to have an alternative (alternative is a key word, not replacement) to a faultless player 5 years ahead of schedule. 

Think of it, if you build a robot for a defender he’s, tall, strong, fast, reads the game well, great in the air, can find a pass, chips in with a few goals and is a great organiser. We ripped Southampton off at £75m. 

Maybe in January we’ll find a player out of favour on the cheap. Rudiger struck me as Chelsea’s best defender but looks to be frozen out. But as good as he is, he’s no Virg either. 

With VVD removed from the squad list we do have space for a non home grown CB. But we will need to sort that for the next few season and could do with a couple of UK players in to fill out the squad. I guess that would make White a option but 50ml Brighton want seem really steep for a lad that has little experience and is the same age as Gomez so he is no kid anymore

16 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I’m sure I read report on him the other day that we didn’t move for him in the summer because of that. 

I’ve no idea if we’ll move for somebody in January. It obviously makes sense but as Carra showed on MNF, of all his great attributes, how dominant Virg was in the air and the reduction in goals we concede from crosses / set pieces is a main benefit. 

It sounds like White isn’t the greatest in the air. Upamecano isnt the tallest either & is probably more in the Gomez mould.

If we’re after a towering centre half, Matip is probably as good as it gets, it’s just a shame he’s never fit.

I don’t think a Klavan type stop go would work either, because given Matip and Gomez’s injury records, they’ll probably, if the season goes as we hope, be expected to play in some huge games. 

I always thought if he avoided serious injury, Virg could easily play into his mid to late 30’s, I’ve no idea if that’ll be the case now. We’re probably having to think about how to have an alternative (alternative is a key word, not replacement) to a faultless player 5 years ahead of schedule. 

Think of it, if you build a robot for a defender he’s, tall, strong, fast, reads the game well, great in the air, can find a pass, chips in with a few goals and is a great organiser. We ripped Southampton off at £75m. 

Maybe in January we’ll find a player out of favour on the cheap. Rudiger struck me as Chelsea’s best defender but looks to be frozen out. But as good as he is, he’s no Virg either. 

There was some talk from klopp yesterday about fabinho needing to improve on 2nd balls or something. Prior to vvd joining I remember nearly all goals we were conceding were 2nd ball type goals, both on set pieces and open play. I'm not sure how vvd has helped with that because he's often the guy clearing the 1st ball (and maybe it's just a question of with vvd there is no 2nd ball, once it's won its won), but I thought that was interesting to be brought back into the discussion. 

Decent article in The Athletic today about players we could look at in January - White (again mentions him not being great in the air), the Turkish lad at Schalke (although the article makes him seem a bit rash), Upmencano and some Brazilian lad from Torino (I think). 

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Decent article in The Athletic today about players we could look at in January - White (again mentions him not being great in the air), the Turkish lad at Schalke (although the article makes him seem a bit rash), Upmencano and some Brazilian lad from Torino (I think). 

The biggest revelation from that article is that Gomez is statistically absolutely horrendous. 

A number 9 is the priority for me. I started supporting Liverpool when God was leading the line for us. Since then we’ve had Owen, Torres, Suarez, and Sturridge. Bobby has done an admirable job filling in there, we need a proper world class no 9.

• Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, aRdja said:

A number 9 is the priority for me. I started supporting Liverpool when God was leading the line for us. Since then we’ve had Owen, Torres, Suarez, and Sturridge. Bobby has done an admirable job filling in there, we need a proper world class no 9.

And in all that time we never won the league. I agree we need competition/replacement for Bobby but the replacement needs to fit the system.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Isn't the schalke lad currently suspended for spitting at someone? If so, he can fuck off. 

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The biggest revelation from that article is that Gomez is statistically absolutely horrendous. 

Some of us have tried to argue that that is not just statistically. He's just not very good at football. 

3 hours ago, aRdja said:

Really? I don't see any possibility we'll buy a 9. We've got the 6 we played on tuesday in the front 3 and origi. We've just sold a "number 9" type. And chamberlain plays in the top 3 when he's fit. Origi is bottom of our list of choices because not only is he not brilliant, tactically we don't play with a central 9. Salah and mane can both do that central job of required. Unless there's sales,  the only 2 places I could possibly see us buying anyone is centre back or goalkeeper. And I don't think we'll do either of them unless we're massively off the pace and potentially out of the top 4 reckoning.