You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

22 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

To claw our way back to the top and rest on our laurels while others catch up is about as Liverpool as it get. The owners are giving up the challenge without a fight after the players have ran themselves into the ground for 2 years. 

We need Fabinho back in midfield.

Thing is, we could see this happening once we bought no one after the CL win in 2019. Yes, we won the league the season after but we needed to be building for 2/3 years to make sure we were ahead while the majority were in transition.

• Upvote 1

The owners don't take risks financially, paying a high price for someone now is a risk not worth taking for them. 

Due the league situation I still think we will finish in top 4, so goal achieved without spending. Spending millions extra now does not guarantee first, so no point spending now.

11 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

The owners don't take risks financially, paying a high price for someone now is a risk not worth taking for them. 

Due the league situation I still think we will finish in top 4, so goal achieved without spending. Spending millions extra now does not guarantee first, so no point spending now.

No guarantee of top four though, that could really upset their financial calculations.

53 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

We've got the best squad of players we've had in 30 years and won the league by 18 points last season. If the goal this season was just top 4 then stop the train. 

• Upvote 2

They are playing a high risk game if we don't sign anyone. I still think we will do some business before the end of the window.

If we had everyone fit, we win the league with a good bit to spare. We don't and I actually don't think there is much to separate us, the two Mancs and Spurs right now. We have more outstanding players than any of them, but we also have a glaring weakness in defence that is hugely impacting on our midfield. Then our front three are not playing well. 

We don't need to spend 80 million here. We just need a big improvement on Philips and Williams who can step in when necessary over the coming months. Personally, if we have a young centre half who we like, let's just pay the extra money now to get them in rather than the summer. I wonder if it's one of the Leipzig lads we want and that is complicating things.

Agree Ronnie.

I understand that its not a normal time, its not a normal season, so I can accept that we aren't going to go out and spend big, but to do absolutely nothing is negligent. 

If we don't sign a centreback we have no chance of winning the league and will likely drop out of the top four considering how tight it is this year. Phillips and Williams are nowhere near good enough, not even close. 

All we need is a Klaven type signing, somebody with more experience and ability than what we have now. 

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

FSG are the guy who gets his round in last, hoping it won't come around to him again.

Great analogy that. 

Just thinking Adrian cost us in the FA cup and the Champions League. If we had a decent number 2 last season, we could have been on for a treble. This season being reliant on a decent championship quality defender in Nat or a league 1 standard rookie in Williams could potentially cost us in every competition.

Still would be shocked if FSG were that stupid to think we can leave as is because they certainly aren't and I would be amazed if the best manager in the world thinks we are okay.

7 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Agree Ronnie.

I understand that its not a normal time, its not a normal season, so I can accept that we aren't going to go out and spend big, but to do absolutely nothing is negligent. 

If we don't sign a centreback we have no chance of winning the league and will likely drop out of the top four considering how tight it is this year. Phillips and Williams are nowhere near good enough, not even close. 

All we need is a Klaven type signing, somebody with more experience and ability than what we have now. 

Yeah that's it. It doesn't need to be Koulibaly but a solid defender with a bit of pace. The continental clubs are skint. Would be shocked if you couldn't get a very decent defender who can do a job for us this season and even in further seasons for about 10 million.

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Hasn't played in nearly 12 months though? 

If we were going to sign a free agent we could have done it before January. 

I have no expectation that we will, it's simply what we could do. 

Williams and Phillips are so far away from being good enough to start several league or CL games that to improve we would need to spend very little. There are zero excuses for not signing a centre back. 

Williams to be fair, has shown some good things, and then predictably, he's shown some awful things. Phillips, I don't really want to talk about. He's basically a grock.

Still don't know why we categorically refuse to ever sign anyone on loan, though. If there is literally no money to pay for a transfer fee, fine, but there are other solutions too. At the very least can we just pretend that we're not throwing this season away and just get someone in?

2 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

No guarantee of top four though, that could really upset their financial calculations.

If no top four, they will just calculate down next summer. If revenue increases spending will increase, same if it falls.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

We've got the best squad of players we've had in 30 years and won the league by 18 points last season. If the goal this season was just top 4 then stop the train. 

At the start of the season I imagine a league win with fourth as worse choice, with what has happened the parameters have changed.

I believe we should get someone but did not think going into January we would.

If VVD had not been assaulted, history of two years of not missing a league game, then Thiago not assaulted in the same game, then this season is completely different. Fab goes into defence when needed and Thiago takes his place in midfield. No one would complain and it would make sense not to buy a CB, with Fab fourth choice. Losing both in the same game really slants the strategy of having a midfielder as fourth choice CB and retrospectively makes it look like a poor decision. 

I will happily slam the owners on here and said I would like a fourth choice CB but I can completely understand paying 5million for Thiago, what standard CB could we have gotten for that amount ? 

If we don't sign anyone, despite not being surprised, I will slag them completely.

If we do sign someone, despite being surprised, I will give them no credit whatsoever.

Echo: two percent owner Lebron James getting ready to don the red jersey. He'll save us millions and will slot right in to the centre back position as cover for Van Dijk. He is dominant in the air and will probably surpass our current number four in ability due to his physical displays and willingness to win an aerial battle at any cost. He will play on a minimum wage as one of Mr. John Henrys yachts are laid up in drydock with engine trouble. The money needed for the repair was earmarked for an unnamed world class centrehalf we've been monitoring and eyeing the last three years. Our sources tells us that we have no sources, but will only write whatever we are being fed about saving millions as we already have the next worlds best in every position.