You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Liverpool have shown interest in signing Inter Milan defender Milan Skriniar but are unwilling to pay his asking price, according to a report.

Calciomercato reports that the Reds are ‘seriously thinking’ of signing a new centre-back in January.

Indeed, Jurgen Klopp‘s side currently have no senior fit centre-backs. After long-term injuries to Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez, Joel Matip suffered injury in Sunday’s draw with West Brom.

Previous reports have suggested that there are a number of names on Liverpool’s transfer radar, with RB Leipzig’s Dayot Upamecano and Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly among them.

Calciomercato adds that the Reds have also shown initial interest in Skriniar. However, Inter want €60million (£54million) for the Slovakia international, a price which Liverpool are unwilling to pay.

Indeed, the source says that, at this stage, such a price is an ‘unsurmountable obstacle’.

What’s more, Liverpool have also reportedly pondered moves for Upamecano and Koulibaly.

Despite noting that both players will prove costly acquisitions in January, the report does not state the level of Liverpool’s interest.

But the Anfield club have rejected a move for free agent centre-back Ezequiel Garay. The Argentine remains without a club after leaving Valencia in the summer.

As such, he could be on a number of other clubs’ radars as a solution at the back.

3 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

I here that he changes his game style depending on the type of team he's up against.

A Carmo Chameleon if you will.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

As this is the greatest thing ever on the internet it should carry on until the internet dies.

# I'm a man, without a connection...#

On 29/12/2020 at 08:11, Anubis said:

Except they haven’t. Minamino was an impulse purchase because of his release clause. VVD had burnt his bridges at Southampton and both clubs just wanted it done as a premium. When we did really need backup in Roggo’s potential title season they wouldn’t cough up.

1.  Who the fuck is Roggo?

2.  What backup did Roggo ask for that FSG refused?  We already had the league's top two goalscorers (both January signings on FSG's watch). Unfortunately, we also had a manager who couldn’t organise a defence.

Basically, if Klopp wants a new CB next month, FSG won't stop him; there's no reason to imagine they would. 

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

1.  Who the fuck is Roggo?

2.  What backup did Roggo ask for that FSG refused?  We already had the league's top two goalscorers (both January signings on FSG's watch). Unfortunately, we also had a manager who couldn’t organise a defence.

Basically, if Klopp wants a new CB next month, FSG won't stop him; there's no reason to imagine they would. 

You fucking know who I’m referring to. And no, I’m not confident they’ll back Klopp in January but hope they will.

FSG aren't stupid. They have one of the best sporting "brands" in the world and part of that is winning.

Jurgen is probably the best manager in the world. He knows that Rhys Williams is a rookie and Nat Philips is a midrange Championship level defender. I seriously doubt that he believes that either are good enough to play 20 odd games for the remainder of the season. Heaven forbid Fabinho is injured and then we have the possibility of the two of them together. No disrespect to the two lads. They have done well but this is the business end of a title race.

Winning the title or the champions league is worth tens of millions. If we buy a very good central defender, I think we win the league and we beat Leipzig, at which point we have a real shot at the Champions League.

As well as that, it's an investment in the future.

7 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Why on earth would he not want one (other than one he wants not being "available")?

I simply don't see Phillips or Williams, over 20 odd games, in a title-winning central defence.

5 hours ago, aRdja said:

Our resident Ligue 1 expert @3 Stacks said he was shit.

I don't think I've said that. The deal with him is he's been playing in the Monaco first team since he's been 17. And so logically he's had plenty of growing pains and games in which he's looked stupid. But in terms of profile, he'd actually be quite a sensible 4th choice.

Unlike @Lee909 though, if we were interested, I'd buy someone more established now and then he's the CB I'd buy in the summer, not in the middle of this season. I wouldn't want to put him in the kind of environment where he'd be the one that would have to save our season. 

• Upvote 1

As it remains very unclear what the situation will be in the new year, especially financially speaking, I’m not sure FSG will be willing to throw away 30 to 50 millions for a player.

If that’s correct, we will get some one cheap or in loan, or buy some one we have wanted anyway.

18 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

As it remains very unclear what the situation will be in the new year, especially financially speaking, I’m not sure FSG will be willing to throw away 30 to 50 millions for a player.

If that’s correct, we will get some one cheap or in loan, or buy some one we have wanted anyway.

I think it's really clear. We shouldn't be banking on any fans in the stadium before the season is out and if we do it's a bonus. The league will finish one way or another, we finished it last year and I don't see us shutting down for 3 months again. 

The club obviously do everything with the longer-term in mind. I can’t see us spending big money on a centre back when the first choice would be available in the summer. 

I can see Edwards targeting a loan signing just to tide us over for 6 months. Probably somebody with experience who’s out of favour at the moment and needs game time to have a chance for the Euros.

Jonathan Tah and Samuel Umtiti seem to fit that mould and all the reports say that they’re at least available for short-term moves.

• Upvote 1