You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

On 24/12/2020 at 17:58, Bad Red Bull said:

Origi has opted to purge his Twitter account of all of his tweets and any mention of Liverpool, with his bio now just reading 'Professional footballer.' Looks like he's definitely leaving in January. Will be remembered for his important goals but needs to be moved on for both our sakes.

Thanks for the memories, Divock.

Absolutely a cult hero & club legend and I would happily contribute towards his statue but also not good enough for our expectations these days. 

It’s best for all parties he moves on - hopefully to Wolves where he can pay off some of the Jota fee. 

Imagine that, we palm off Hoever & Origi, who’ve contributed nothing in 18 months, for c.£25m and only have to pay c.£15m for Jota. 

What a steal. 

On 24/12/2020 at 14:55, m0e said:

We've been regularly linked to players who didn't make it at the big European clubs. Ever since Klopp came in.

Interesting that none of them ever happened.

They all end up at Arsenal. Failing. Miserably.

23 minutes ago, KevieG said:

We ain't winning this league, or CL, without a top class centre half this January. 

Why hasn't a centre back been lined up to join on the 1st January?

Who the fuck is making these calls?

We needed to fuck off Adrian and bring in a better keeper in the summer.

We needed to replace Lovren before selling him in the summer.

This lackadaisical attitude assuming 'we'll be ok' fucking stinks and is costing us and will more than likely mean no trophies this season.

It's either Klopp not in any rush to want to sign players or it's FSG not giving him the funds.

• Downvote 1

Can't imagine that we won't sign a centre half now.

God knows how many weeks big bird is out for and while Nat Philips and Rhys Williams have done well, we need a really good centre half to partner Fabinho. 

Not sure what the timeline on Gomez and Virgil is but guessing neither will be back before April. If we get anything out of Virgil this season, it would be a bit of a miracle.

My preference would be Botman or Schurs. Think Botman might be the better. Both very talented and not stop gaps but potentially long term players here.

3 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Let’s not be sentimental, both Matip are good, we live them, but they are not reliable, time to buy the right partner for VVD.

But, is January the right moment?

That's the question. But we may need to anyway if we want to win something this season, is the problem. 

Matip and Gomez are both injury prone. Although Gomez doesn't have the niggling ones that Matip does. Both are unreliable though. 

Also we dont know what type of player Van Dijk will be once he is back, will he be a yard slower and need a quick CB alongside him?

We can't make do with our best defensive midfielder in there, a lad who was on loan at Kidderminster and another player who only stayed because no one, even from the Championship wanted him on loan. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Can't imagine that we won't sign a centre half now.

God knows how many weeks big bird is out for and while Nat Philips and Rhys Williams have done well, we need a really good centre half to partner Fabinho. 

Not sure what the timeline on Gomez and Virgil is but guessing neither will be back before April. If we get anything out of Virgil this season, it would be a bit of a miracle.

My preference would be Botman or Schurs. Think Botman might be the better. Both very talented and not stop gaps but potentially long term players here.

I think both Virgil and Joe are out for the season Ronnie. Virgil might make an appearance before the end of season but the last thing we want is for him to come back too soon and do a Nistelrooy.

Jurgen is very loyal to his players but he needs to grasp the nettle regarding Matip and Keita. Neither of them can stand the rigours of the PL. Problem is they'll both be on big wages and other clubs may be reluctant to buy them knowing their fitness record.

My fear about bringing someone else in is will they settle quick or will we ship even more goals? It's what the manager gets paid big bucks for though, I guess.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

I think both Virgil and Joe are out for the season Ronnie. Virgil might make an appearance before the end of season but the last thing we want is for him to come back too soon and do a Nistelrooy.

Jurgen is very loyal to his players but he needs to grasp the nettle regarding Matip and Keita. Neither of them can stand the rigours of the PL. Problem is they'll both be on big wages and other clubs may be reluctant to buy them knowing their fitness record.

My fear about bringing someone else in is will they settle quick or will we ship even more goals? It's what the manager gets paid big bucks for though, I guess.

Yeah agree with that Docker. Virgil is for the next few seasons, not just this one. I knew Joe was out for a while, but didn't know it was that long.

Matip is an incredible player. I actually would keep him even if he played 15-20 games a season. 

Before Matip went off injured, I would have said it was more likely than not, we sign a defender. Now, I'd be shocked if we don't. Agree with you that even signing excellent prospects like Botman will require them learning on the job about the league and it could cost us in a few games. Better than nothing though and sets us up for next season at the very worst.

9 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I think the answer to the question of are FSG fucking cunts, is about to get answered 

They've always been cunts.

As much as they are cunts, Klopp has a big part in this too.

As stated above, he's too loyal to his squad and has previous for leaving the squad short in certain positions after transfer windows have closed. Even if we don't have the money (which I don't believe), you can get players in on loan.

Any other manager with our injuries would be chomping at the bit to get players in (even in on loan).

I can tell you now, we won't sign anyone, so no point getting your hopes up.

I think we need to bring in two centre backs tbh, we didn't replace Lovren, and Matip and Gomez are injured a lot. Williams has done well but he has a lot of developing to do. The lad at Ajax Perr Schurrs looked really good in the games against them and I've seen us linked with him and Upamecano.