You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I personally think the thing with ornstien is he's not like the journos who have nothing but LFC. He tries to be a credible journalists and I would imagine tries to verify his stories, where the echo and a few other just put out what the club want people to hear. It would not shock me if we bought nobody, because we'll get fucked on price if there's not a release clause or a club desperate for cash and it's unlikely anyone will be that desperate while ffp is a little relaxed. I'm absolutely certain how we measure the value of a footballer won't change, so if the spreadsheet says no, it'll still be no even of we have no fit centre halves. 

If we have no fit centre halves, we'll definitely make a move regardless of value. You don't buy a player like Thiago in the summer, a player in the prime of his career to win trophies in the short term, and give up on a season because your spread sheet says the player that can give you a chance to compete is too expensive. I disagree there. That's assuming we have some money to spend, though. 

• Upvote 1

The vaccines will inject confidence into the football clubs again.  It's just a pity there is no vaccine in sight for Chamberlain or Tsimikas.

We will buy a new CB in Jan.  No doubt at all. 

PS, this all reminds me of that crazy Klopp season at Dortmund where injuries made everything fall apart. I'm sure he is thinking about that as much as anyone. Is there a similarity to be made around Klopp redlining his squad for a couple of years and then having intermittent blow outs? 

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

If we have no fit centre halves, we'll definitely make a move regardless of value. You don't buy a player like Thiago in the summer, a player in the prime of his career to win trophies in the short term, and give up on a season because your spread sheet says the player that can give you a chance to compete is too expensive. I disagree there. That's assuming we have some money to spend, though. 

You are talking like a football fan there. 

6 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

The vaccines will inject confidence into the football clubs again.  It's just a pity there is no vaccine in sight for Chamberlain or Tsimikas.

PS, this all reminds me of that crazy Klopp season at Dortmund where injuries made everything fall apart. I'm sure he is thinking about that as much as anyone. Is there a similarity to be made around Klopp redlining his squad for a couple of years and then having intermittent blow outs? 

Is Kostas still injured? I thought he was fit again, but no idea why I thought that. 

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

You are talking like a football fan there. 

No, I think given the relatively high average age of the squad and the fact we went away from our usual strategy and signed a 29 year old this summer because we're in a short window where we can win trophies, it's incoherent not to buy anybody. Because winning stuff this season is now in major jeopardy and we're not in the business of throwing trophies away now because we have loads of injuries.

12 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Unfair to lump the Greek in with Chamberlain. You might as well put Thiago in.

45 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

No, I think given the relatively high average age of the squad and the fact we went away from our usual strategy and signed a 29 year old this summer because we're in a short window where we can win trophies, it's incoherent not to buy anybody. Because winning stuff this season is now in major jeopardy and we're not in the business of throwing trophies away now because we have loads of injuries.

Maybe you are right, we will see. I think we broke our policy because klopp loves Thiago and we've barely spent a penny since winning the CL. I don't think it is more complicated than that. I would feel certain the spreadsheet still said yes on valuation and over all cost of the deal. 

31 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Maybe you are right, we will see. I think we broke our policy because klopp loves Thiago and we've barely spent a penny since winning the CL. I don't think it is more complicated than that. I would feel certain the spreadsheet still said yes on valuation and over all cost of the deal. 

Not even sure we broke our policy.  We bought an under-priced and unique talent.  Probably for about the same we were paying Lovren & Lallana.  Slide Fab into defence; it's pure moneyballin'

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Wouldn't surprise me if this was true.

Upaman in a canoo instead please. 200 million euro cash. Easy this FM thing. 

Is Tarkowski any good ? Only seen him against us as Burnley is not exactly easy on the eyes.