You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

I see Upamecano is available for €42m in the summer. I’d assume paying a premium on top could secure his signature.

If they don’t get through the CL group, could make it easier? Although, upsettingly, that means the mancs would likely qualify.

However, I do wonder, that like Werner & the majority of his £55m being paid up front, and how we got away with minimal outlays for Thiago & Jota, whether we could afford him.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

I see Upamecano is available for €42m in the summer. I’d assume paying a premium on top could secure his signature.

However, I do wonder, that like Werner & the majority of his £55m being paid up front, and how we got away with minimal outlays for Thiago & Jota, whether we could afford him.

This is why I think we will go for tarkowski. We can use Wilson as a makeweight too and because he's English if we do just want to move on to our strategic plans in the summer, we'll easily get our money back. 

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

This is why I think we will go for tarkowski. We can use Wilson as a makeweight too and because he's English if we do just want to move on to our strategic plans in the summer, we'll easily get our money back. 

How much did West Ham have rejected for him in the summer? Sure it was £30m+. 

I’m not convinced. Tarkowski might look good defending his 18 yard line in a flat 4 and another 5 10 yards in front of him is massively different to the job he’d be asked for us.

I think I’d rather sign somebody from a club who also plays an expansive way with the expectation on the player being they’ll need to win a lot of 1-1 foot duels.

Pau Torres is interesting. No idea if he’s any good a Google tells me hes 6’3, fast & good on the ball. I doubt Villarreal would want a fortune for him.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Possibly. How much did West Ham have rejected for him in the summer? Sure it was £30m+. 

Pau Torres is interesting. No idea if he’s any good a Google tells me hes 6’3, fast & good on the ball. I doubt Villarreal would want a fortune for him.

I'm sure Burnley wanted 40 million but West Ham wouldn't pay over 20 million. They might have gone in with a final bid of 25 million... I remember Moyes on SSN saying they have a budget they cant go any higher. 

8 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

How much did West Ham have rejected for him in the summer? Sure it was £30m+. 

I’m not convinced. Tarkowski might look good defending his 18 yard line in a flat 4 and another 5 10 yards in front of him is massively different to the job he’d be asked for us.

I think I’d rather sign somebody from a club who also plays an expansive way with the expectation on the player being they’ll need to win a lot of 1-1 foot duels.

He has a release clause though for us and a couple more clubs (I think city and Salford). There's been varying reports at different times between 30-50m. I don't see us going for anyone where there's not a release clause we are willing to meet. Because everyone knows we're desperate, so will rightly try to fuck us. 

Upamecano will be beyond us. Bayern will probably get him to replace Boateng and Alaba. There's no real obvious target anyway because Gomez and Matip, as much as they get injured, will be taken into consideration. Same for van Dijk obviously as he's the biggest investment we've ever made in a player. Even if they may "never be the same" after all their health problems.

Just can't see big investment. Tarkowski is as good as a solution as we'll find if he does indeed have a clause. That Kabak kid maybe as well, as he won't be too expensive.

Overall, our transfer budget in January / summer is a concern.

We certainly need 1 or 2 defenders in January. Given we went into the season with 3 centre backs, maybe that was in plan all along? 

Milner & Wijnaldum will likely leave and we have the issue of losing Mane & Salah in January to the ACONF. 

Thiago, Hendo, VVD, Firmino and the 2 wide guys will probably all be 30+ then as well.

Who could go in the summer - Shaq, Keita, Wilson, Minamino, Origi & Grujic? Maybe the best part of £100m there (Mbappe covered then!). However, at least Shaq would need replacing.

Given normal circumstances (ie full houses & income each week) I wouldn’t be concerned, but I’m starting to wonder how much more Klopp can get from these players.

Not wanting to turn this into an Anti v Pro FSGers debate, but current injuries are probably meaning our likely plans are changing and budgets being further stretched. 

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He has a release clause though for us and a couple more clubs (I think city and Salford). There's been varying reports at different times between 30-50m. I don't see us going for anyone where there's not a release clause we are willing to meet. Because everyone knows we're desperate, so will rightly try to fuck us. 

I’ve just done a Google and they all say £50m. 

Given the way we play, his age and his contract situation in the summer, Upamencano would be my preference. See if we can send Keita or Minamino their way. 

26 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’ve just done a Google and they all say £50m. 

Given the way we play, his age and his contract situation in the summer, Upamencano would be my preference. See if we can send Keita or Minamino their way. 

That's doesn't mean they'll sell in January. I'm not saying tarkowski is my preference long term. I don't know enough centre backs or their availability. But I'm guessing most good ones won't be available in January. And certainly not at a sensible price because of our situation. We need one of two things. 1 a release clause. 2. A fringe player to ship the other way that other team is as desperate for as we are a centre back. 

26 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Overall, our transfer budget in January / summer is a concern.

We certainly need 1 or 2 defenders in January. Given we went into the season with 3 centre backs, maybe that was in plan all along? 

Milner & Wijnaldum will likely leave and we have the issue of losing Mane & Salah in January to the ACONF. 

Thiago, Hendo, VVD, Firmino and the 2 wide guys will probably all be 30+ then as well.

Who could go in the summer - Shaq, Keita, Wilson, Minamino, Origi & Grujic? Maybe the best part of £100m there (Mbappe covered then!). However, at least Shaq would need replacing.

Given normal circumstances (ie full houses & income each week) I wouldn’t be concerned, but I’m starting to wonder how much more Klopp can get from these players.

Not wanting to turn this into an Anti v Pro FSGers debate, but current injuries are probably meaning our likely plans are changing and budgets being further stretched. 

Even the biggest anti FSGer couldn't think they wouldn't release funds if we identified the right player. We won't be panicking, anyone signed is just arriving 6 months earlier than planned.

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That's doesn't mean they'll sell in January. I'm not saying tarkowski is my preference long term. I don't know enough centre backs or their availability. But I'm guessing most good ones won't be available in January. And certainly not at a sensible price because of our situation. We need one of two things. 1 a release clause. 2. A fringe player to ship the other way the other team is as desperate for as we are a centre back. 

I get that RBL might not want to sell but it doesn’t mean Burnley will sell In January as I don’t believe we’d pay £50m for Tarkowski.

One thing we have seen with Klopp is that he doesn’t try to sign 2nd best, like VVD its our #1 target or nothing.

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I get that RBL might not want to sell but it doesn’t mean Burnley will sell In January as I don’t believe we’d pay £50m for Tarkowski.

One thing we have seen with Klopp is that he doesn’t try to sign 2nd best, like VVD its our #1 target or nothing. 

Well that's not true at all. Salah and mane are both 2nd choices. It would appear Jota was 3rd choice. Too much is made of waiting for VVD. We waited for him because we fucked it up in the 1st place otherwise he'd have just arrived on time. And this isn't a normal situation. When we waiting for VVD, we had lovren, klavan, matip and Gomez. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well that's not true at all. Salah and mane are both 2nd choices. It would appear Jota was 3rd choice. Too much is made of waiting for VVD. We waited for him because we fucked it up in the 1st place otherwise he'd have just arrived on time. And this isn't a normal situation. When we waiting for VVD, we had lovren, klavan, matip and Gomez. 

Are you dragging up Salah was 2nd to Brandt and Mane second to Gotze?

I’d suggest that, although Salah & Mane have kicked on significantly, players in their positions were more readily available and for similar fees (Son, Sane, Dembele etc). The fact they and Jota apparently weren’t first choices empathises that.

VVD, like Alisson, we knew we had to get a game changer and waited to get it done. We could have gone out and signed somebody else when we pissed off Southampton, but we didn’t, we stuck with VVD because we knew he was 100% what we needed & no other player could do a job as good as him.

You have said a defender we sign will need 1 of 2 things, one being a release fee. I’ve reasoned with a premium on top that of a summer release clause, Upamencano could be achievable. IMO, he would be best suited to us given his age, pace, ability on the ball & being more used to playing a similar to us.

If you’d prefer or think Tarkowski is more achievable, then that’s up to you.

However, given comparisons in likely fee, differences in age and playing styles, hypothetically and IMO, we’d be more likely to over pay for Upamencano.

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’d suggest that, although Salah & Mane have kicked on significantly, players in their positions were more readily available and for similar fees (Son, Sane, Dembele etc). The fact they and Jota apparently weren’t first choices empathises that.

VVD, like Alisson, we knew we had to get a game changer and waited to get it done. We could have gone out and signed somebody else when we pissed off Southampton, but we didn’t, we stuck with VVD because we knew he was 100% what we needed & no other player could do a job as good as him.

You have said a defender we sign will need 1 of 2 things, one being a release fee. I’ve reasoned with a premium on top that of a summer release clause, Upamencano could be achievable. IMO, he would be best suited to us given his age, pace, ability on the ball & being more used to playing a similar to us.

However, given comparisons in likely fee, differences in age and playing styles, hypothetically and IMO, we’d be more likely to over pay for Upamencano.

Salah was the committee’s first choice but Klopp wanted Brandt. 

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I'm not saying vvd and alisson aren't great. But we bought them because of the coutinho money. We don't usually shop at that level of player and we won't in January or next summer, just like we haven't in every window since we bought alisson. If you want me to pick another 2nd choice, Andy robbo as we wanted chillwell. Even Kostas this summer we bid elsewhere 1st, I've no idea who was 1st choice of the 2, but the point is there were two and we don't normally shop at the top of the transfer pool so there are.plentt of players in that category.  So we can go to 2nd or 3rd choice, as we've just done with Jota and it can work out just fine. It works out just fine because we have a pretty brilliant coach who has made a career out of taking unfancied footballers and changing them into stars. 

Maybe upamencano is achievable. Personally I think every club who can will try to fuck us because we are desperate. They'd be fucking stupid not to. And just because he has a release in the summer, doesn't mean we could afford the deal even at that point as we saw with Werner this summer.