You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

I'd feel a lot better about the two new centre backs if we had one, or two, of the senior centre halves fit to help them settle in and take them through matches.  Likewise if we were able to have the Matip - Fabinho partnership for the Champions League and big league games (i.e. Man City). I still think we're a bit fucked.  Stupid fucking injuries.

Would also be better placed if VAR hadn't robbed us of 6 points in the league too.

3 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I'd feel a lot better about the two new centre backs if we had one, or two, of the senior centre halves fit to help them settle in and take them through matches.  Likewise if we were able to have the Matip - Fabinho partnership for the Champions League and big league games (i.e. Man City). I still think we're a bit fucked.  Stupid fucking injuries.

Would also be better placed if VAR hadn't robbed us of 6 points in the league too.

Fabinho is definitely still staying in defense. He'll no doubt have to be the stabilizing force. 

38 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Im seriously hoping for a couple of pens like that prick Wellbeck got against us on Wednesday night.

Mane especially needs told that if he starts feeling proper contact to go down straight away. When he does go down its eaither far to late and looks like a dive or he doesn't at all like Newcastle. 

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

With 48 Premier League goals to his name - the same as Freddie Ljungberg or Ian Rush - he's no slouch.

That's an incredibly selective way of using stats to make a player look better than they are. Did the dud at the BBC think that all those first division goals Rush scored were in the second tier?

• Upvote 1

W.r.t King, he was looking for a salary that he was on when Bournemouth were in the PL. All the players took atleast 10% cut when they got relegated to the championship. That was the main sticking point between him and Southampton but Everton being richer than everybody else in the world can afford his wages, so what if their wages to turnover ratio goes by by 1% from 88 to 89%. 

Btw, it's 5m for his permanent transfer, not for 6 months as some seem to think.

Really pleased about these two signings. Not so sure about Minamino to Saints if it goes ahead. With Fab out, the xtra midfield option is handy. I know he’s struggled to break through, but hell - our injury list isn’t getting any shorter..

3 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Really pleased about these two signings. Not so sure about Minamino to Saints if it goes ahead. With Fab out, the xtra midfield option is handy. I know he’s struggled to break through, but hell - our injury list isn’t getting any shorter..

I'm surprised by that loan - the formation against West Ham worked well and I would imagine that suits Minamino better than the false 9.

13 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Have to remember Jota is back soon as well

That occurred to me that we miust be sure that Diogo is not far away or we woukd not have let Taki go. 

With regards to an earlier poster who mentioned Minamino being up against Walcott , Djenepo and Redmond , I am sure they will be shocked to hear that Walcott came off their last game with what ' looked like a tear ' 

9 hours ago, Brownie said:

I wouldn’t say he’s lazy as such, he’s just not very good.

I think the character and attitude of the squad as a whole, is pretty much unquestionable tbh.

I think he lacks a bit of hunger. I have said it for years about him. It's not like he doesn't run around and stuff, but that thing real strikers have in the box - their movement and desire to get across their defender at all costs, he just doesn't have it. He gets his biggest chances when because of his style, I think defenders switch off against him and he kind of drifts into a bit of space and the ball lands at his feet. I would like to think it was good movement, but it rarely is, he's just walking holding his position most of the time. 

9 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Josh King compared to Ian Rush on the BBC website?

King can play wide of course which will suit Everton when they play 4-3-3.

This time last year he was close to joining Manchester United of course, but he has failed to score in the Championship this season.

With 48 Premier League goals to his name - the same as Freddie Ljungberg or Ian Rush - he's no slouch.

That sounds like a computer generated story. BBC testing out AI journalism. 

11 minutes ago, sir roger said:

At the risk of going too 'glass half empty' I can't believe we weren't going to do any business if Matip was only going to be out for a few weeks !!!

It was clear we hit the panic button on Friday, the messaging out of the club completely changed overnight. Without doubt matip getting injured changed everything. My worry right now is fabinho, hopefully we'll get some positive news from klopp today. 

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

That occurred to me that we miust be sure that Diogo is not far away or we woukd not have let Taki go. 

With regards to an earlier poster who mentioned Minamino being up against Walcott , Djenepo and Redmond , I am sure they will be shocked to hear that Walcott came off their last game with what ' looked like a tear ' 

Who had upset him?

12 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Josh King compared to Ian Rush on the BBC website?

King can play wide of course which will suit Everton when they play 4-3-3.

This time last year he was close to joining Manchester United of course, but he has failed to score in the Championship this season.

"Josh, as in Widdecombe and King, as in Jonathan, and I'll tell you now this kid is gonna be bigger than both of them"