You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

I think a few on here are going to be surprised how good he is, he’s rapid and is good on the ball, can ping a pass as well....

A mate of mine is a PNE supporter and even though he’s gutted that Davies is going, at the same time he’s buzzing for him too because he reckons that he is miles better than championship level and thinks he’ll do well.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I think we can all agree that Ben Davies isn't likely to be very good, and that FSG are twats who should've sanctioned getting in a better centre back right at the start of January, when it was obvious for months that we needed one.

Fair enough we've had a massive covid-related loss of income, but we basically decided to chuck away 3 competitions this year because of the lack of flexibility in the club's approach.  We've got a squad for winning stuff now, we should be trying to win.

Doesn't really matter how you interpret Klopp's interviews as to where in the pecking order Davies is going to be - he probably doesn't even know yet until he gets him at training.

It’s wrong to be so negative about a new signing, but I agree with the rest of the post completely.

31 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

It’s wrong to be so negative about a new signing, but I agree with the rest of the post completely.

I don't think that was really negative, just more realistic for a 25 year old no-one has ever heard of coming from the Championship, where the main priority appears to have been availability.  I obviously hope he'll be good, but it would be a rather big surprise if he turns out to be fucking amazing.

4 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

If we sign someone outside the UK now, won't they be required to quarantine for 15 days and then start taking part in our training sessions? That is like the best part of a month in which case it makes sense why we are looking closer to home and why Ben Davis was an easy option.

I doubt he'll be starting until the 28th against Sheffield United. 

I think we should wait and see what he’s like before kicking off. When we signed Robbo for £8m from a relegated side, it was seen as underwhelming but look at him now.

At this point it does feel underwhelming but football is a funny business so let’s give the lad a chance at least.

• Upvote 1

Interesting that we've been linked to Caleta Car just after Ben Davis was confirmed by the ITK journos. Points to either that we want to sign two CBs or Davies was the 2nd choice after Caleta Car. And if we do want to sign two CBs, but Caleta Car turns out to be unavailable (OM doesn't seem to be able to find a replacement in time), who will we try to sign instead? I guess we'll know by the end of the day. 

3 minutes ago, YNWA-Viking said:

Interesting that we've been linked to Caleta Car just after Ben Davis was confirmed by the ITK journos. Points to either that we want to sign two CBs or Davies was the 2nd choice after Caleta Car. And if we do want to sign two CBs, but Caleta Car turns out to be unavailable (OM doesn't seem to be able to find a replacement in time), who will we try to sign instead? I guess we'll know by the end of the day. 

Mustafi.

7 minutes ago, John102 said:

In the interests of context, I just want to point out that Andy Robertson had played multiple times in the top flight, had played in 2 European Cup finals, winning 1, by the time he was Ben Davies' age. 

Trent the same and cost nothing. Although Jota cost a lotta!

The transfer of Marseille's Duje Caleta-Car is still possible. He's "on the agenda" 

Liverpool still hopefull of completing 2 deadline day deals

It's not impossible that OM will find a solution for this transfer to happen [@MelissaReddy_]

Breaking | Marseille have submitted a loan with option to buy offer to Celtic for Olivier Ntcham - player wants to make move, active negotiations. (RMC)

34 minutes ago, John102 said:

I'm saying your argument would have held as much water if you used it when we signed Andy Lonergan. 

Let's just call the transfer what it is, someone who is better than Rhys Williams and leave the Robertson talk alone. 

It’s not an argument, it’s a basic point about seemingly underwhelming signings sometimes surprising.

Your point about Robbo winning European Cups is completely irrelevant.

The point about him already playing in the Premier League is a fair one though, that’s a point of difference.

Really weird isnt it? People were saying just sign some centre backs, we dont mean £30m each, just someone.

Now the club is signing someone, they're not the right centre backs, not fast enough, not good enough.

Every fucking time and it's always the same people who come out with the just sign someone, no not him, those two fuckers who are as good as Virgil.

• Upvote 4