You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

I think Davies will move ahead of Williams and probably Phillips too.  He's quick, so more suited to the way we play.

He's far from ideal, but better than bringing nobody at all in, or some over the hill player or somebody lacking match fitness. 

I hope he's better than both of them. Better than Henderson and fabinho too. I've never watched him. I did watch klopp talking about the type of player we're aiming to bring in though. He didn't sound that level. 

Who is Ben Davies? 'A real steady Eddie'

Former Preston and Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson

Ben Davies has done well at Preston and has let his contract run down so he was going to move on in the summer. If he'd gone to Celtic, which I'd heard had been agreed, then I was thinking he could do well there, but being honest I didn't really see him as being good enough to be on Liverpool's radar.

He's a real steady Eddie. He's left-footed and quick enough but he's not got phenomenal pace or anything like that.

He's been good in the Championship, very good.

But I've watched him and thought, up against the extra nous and quality you get in the Premier League, on top of extra pace, it will be a test for him. You wouldn't want to just throw him in to face Manchester City next Sunday, put it that way.

This is obviously a great move for him, I just can't see him getting near the first team. Nat Phillips has done well when he's come in and he is probably a better player.

So, Davies would be behind him and also Rhys Williams, so even before Joel Matip comes back and the other two long-term injured players - Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez - he is going to be below them on the list. And Fabinho and Jordan Henderson too.

I am not sure he will play very much at Liverpool, but the experience alone should be fabulous. I hope he experiences playing in the first team, but even if he is just sitting on the bench then it is still great for him.

He has come through the ranks at Preston, learned his trade with loan spells in the lower divisions and improved a lot. He has done really well.

Regardless of whether he gets a chance or not, it is a great move for him and Ben is a lovely lad. I've got to know him over the years and with people like that, you just think 'great opportunity and good luck to you'.

Lawro seems to think he is back up to the back ups. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I hope he's better than both of them. Better than Henderson and fabinho too. I've never watched him. I did watch klopp talking about the type of player we're aiming to bring in though. He didn't sound that level. 

No that's true. He's clearly a short term solution. 

We've got 17 league games and between 2 to 7 Champions League games left. As I said, at this point he's better than not bringing anybody in. 

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

No that's true. He's clearly a short term solution. 

We've got 17 league games and between 2 to 7 Champions League games left. As I said, at this point he's better than not bringing anybody in. 

So are you saying fabinho and Henderson will play in midfield and this lad will be at the back? As I say, that wasn't what I took from what klopp said. He said he we were looking at players who could step in when the current players were unavailable - which puts him behind those getting games now. 

34 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Klopp said after the match today, we're not looking at replacing the players on the pitch right now, we're looking for alternatives if they get injured too. Of course it's a negative. It's this season's Steven Caulker. We don't need one of them, we need someone who can actually get a fucking game. If someone thinks buying an 8th choice centre back is good they can fuck off. 

This is the interview I assume you're referring to. The only thing he said which remotely resembles what you've said is where he says something to the effect of: "If we play like tonight, with this lineup you can play, the only problem is if something else happens, then we become a little bit short."

That's all he's said. That you've managed to infer what you've inferred from that sentence is as I said, wild at best and dishonest at worst. And he makes no real mention of transfers in any other interview. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So are you saying fabinho and Henderson will play in midfield and this lad will be at the back? As I say, that wasn't what I took from what klopp said. He said he we were looking at players who could step in when the current players were unavailable - which puts him behind those getting games now. 

I think he will get some game time yes. I can't see us signing him and not playing at all. 

The whole idea of sogning a CB was to bring in someone who is better than what we currently have. If he's been brought in as backup to the backup then its bloody pointless. 

I didnt expect us to go out and spend £50m plus but I did expect a Premier League proven defender that would step right into the team. 

The whole thing just seems like a half arsed exercise by the club in order to say "We bought someone in" 

Got Sean Dundee written all over it. 

Can't see him playing against Brighton as it's too soon, and no way will he play against City. And then Leicester - putting him up against Vardy? No.

And then the Champions League - nope.

Then the derby. Maybe? Doubtful though. 

So Sheffield United on the 28th Feb. Can't wait.

56 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He’s a regular for a Championship team, R.Williams is Conference level, so he’s obviously better. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Duje Caleta-Car, a Croatian centre back at Marseille, is bring linked too. Some saying Davies was the second choice after him, others saying that we might bring both in. 

Some reports saying Marseille can't get replacement in quick enough so have turned down.

55 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

This is the interview I assume you're referring to. The only thing he said which remotely resembles what you've said is where he says something to the effect of: "If we play like tonight, with this lineup you can play, the only problem is if something else happens, then we become a little bit short."

That's all he's said. That you've managed to infer what you've inferred from that sentence is as I said, wild at best and dishonest at worst. And he makes no real mention of transfers in any other interview. 

That's not what I watched. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've never watched him play. I'm just saying what klopp said. We're looking at players to back up the current ones..

That's not what he said. He said we're ok with what we have but any more injuries and we're fucked. You have chosen to interpret that as saying he is last in line, he may well be but thats not what he said.

51 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I think he will get some game time yes. I can't see us signing him and not playing at all. 

We'll see on that I guess. It just wasn't what I took from what the manager said earlier 

9 minutes ago, Code said:

He’s a regular for a Championship team, R.Williams is Conference level, so he’s obviously better. 

I'm not saying his level isn't better (it would be surprising if it wasn't). But klopp is a great believer in needing to know the system, be fit enough etc, so it doesn't out him on front of Williams by that alone. Clearly players don't always have to know the system -  mane, Salah, vvd, jota, Gini and matip have all been players who came in and played from the off. But then there's Caulker who didn't get a look in. I just feel from listening to klopp, we're bringing in someone behind tha lads already there and he's a break glass option. 

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

That's not what he said. He said we're ok with what we have but any more injuries and we're fucked. You have chosen to interpret that as saying he is last in line, he may well be but thats not what he said.

We'll see when the lad comes in then. I'll buy you a pint when he starts before Philipps against Brighton. 

• Upvote 1