You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Multiple sources are suggesting that Liverpool are set to make a late January swoop to sign Preston North End defender Ben Davies.

The Reds have struggled with defensive injuries this season, with Virgil van Dijk their biggest loss. The Netherlands ace is set to miss the majority of the season while Joe Gomez is also a lengthy absentee.

Anfield boss Jurgen Klopp has repeatedly stated that he will not bring in a new defender this month. The German has stuck to his guns despite his side’s dip in form and poor run of results.

But it may be that he is relenting, with journalist Pete O’Rourke tweeting that they are keen on Davies. Daily Mail reporter Dominic King has tweeted out a similar line, with a £2m fee mooted for the 25-year-old.

He also suggests that Liverpool youngster Sepp van der Berg will head to Deepdale on loan as part of the deal.

Davies will be out of contract at the end of the season. Glasgow giants Celtic are known admirers and had been trying to get him to sign a pre-contract agreement.

However, with Liverpool now in the picture, their interest may come to nothing.

Davies came up through the Preston youth ranks and made his senior debut in 2013 as a 17-year-old. He struggled to nail down a regular starting berth and was loaned out to several clubs.

The Barrow-in-Furness-born stopper spent time with York, Tranmere, Southport, Newport County and Fleetwood. He managed to establish himself in the North End first team in the 2017-2018 campaign.

The centre-back has now racked up 145 appearances in all competitions for the Lilywhites. He has long been linked with a move away from the Championship club but the Liverpool link has come out of nowhere.

Preston are 11th in the Championship and six points from the play-off picture. They could lose Davies for nothing in the summer and so a fee this month would be welcome.

Van den Berg move makes sense

Van den Berg, 19, has yet to enjoy a senior outing for Liverpool. He made three League Cup appearances in 2019-2020 and played once in the FA Cup.

Having come up through the PEC Zwolle youth ranks, he made his first-team debut aged just 16. After 23 outings he moved to Merseyside in June 2019 and has mainly been featuring for the Under-23s.

A switch to the second-tier club would give him some valuable experience of playing competitive football.

2 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Ben Davies from Preston? Wtf!

Hopefully bollocks.

Don't know anything about the lad but I'm assuming the brief from Jurgen has been "find me someone better than Phillips/Rhys."

I doubt he'll be great, but we don't really need him to be great. Just a player with pace, solid, and a bit better than those two (who no offense to either of them but they just aren't the calibre we need). If he can make one big mistake fewer than we'd see if those two played the rest of the season, then the move is a success. The bar for Davies to clear is not a high one, is what I'm saying.

So it sounds like we're all in on this lad. Which is weird as he's clearly shit. What was interesting was klopp talking about it's not what we do about these current injuries, but what we do if those people standing in get injured. So it sounds like we're signing someone for behind Williams and Phillips and likely behind billy koumetio too. Honestly if they do that, people really need to realise they're just taking the piss out of every last one of us. Whoever comes in needs to be ahead of Philipps and Williams (and Henderson actually) otherwise what's the fucking point? The fact this is even a possibility is depressing. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So it sounds like we're all in on this lad. Which is weird as he's clearly shit. What was interesting was klopp talking about it's not what we do about these current injuries, but what we do if those people standing in get injured. So it sounds like we're signing someone for behind Williams and Phillips and likely behind billy koumetio too. Honestly if they do that, people really need to realise they're just taking the piss out of every last one of us. Whoever comes in needs to be ahead of Philipps and Williams (and Henderson actually) otherwise what's the fucking point? The fact this is even a possibility is depressing. 

These are all wild, wild assumptions. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I had to find my login details just to reply to this. Mate, sometimes, you need to think before you post. Put your phone down and relax. They are not taking the piss out of anybody, You think Klopp is some mug who would let them have him over for the last 5 years?!

Watch the interviews, especially the recent ones, Klopp is amazed at the journalists questions, which read like a lot of your comments. The club knows they need a centre back, they have been looking constantly. You think they are all a bunch of idiots? Honest question?

We are in a global financial crisis, they have been spending on players and staff wages for a year with no income. We must have lost a shit load of cash. They still spent 70 odd million in the summer. You want them to buy big right now? We will get our arse hole ripped for £70-80 milllion, we don't have that kind of money. Does any business right now? 

Maybe they've already done a deal for Upameacano in the summer and it's £40 million and that's why we are waiting. Who knows, neither you or me do...that's for certain. But the club and Klopp have done great up until now so i trust them to make a good decision and the right decision for the long term. As they have been. It would make more sense to just get a stop gap in now and then really address the position with some real quality for next year.

Don't be so knee jerk over everything. Chill. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Just assumptions made on what klopp said after the game that we're looking to bring in lads who can back up the backup lads. If you think that's wild, I'd hate to live your life. 

You could have just said FSG weren't going to sign anybody before everybody got injured, and they should be criticized for that. That would have been fine and it's true. Instead, you're trying to spin this signing into even more of a negative and you sound like a crank. Well, you kind of are a crank on this topic, so there. 

2 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I had to find my login details just to reply to this. Mate, sometimes, you need to think before you post. Put your phone down and relax. They are not taking the piss out of anybody, You think Klopp is some mug who would let them have him over for the last 5 years?!

Watch the interviews, especially the recent ones, Klopp is amazed at the journalists questions, which read like a lot of your comments. The club knows they need a centre back, they have been looking constantly. You think they are all a bunch of idiots? Honest question?

We are in a global financial crisis, they have been spending on players and staff wages for a year with no income. We must have lost a shit load of cash. They still spent 70 odd million in the summer. You want them to buy big right now? We will get our arse hole ripped for £70-80 milllion, we don't have that kind of money. Does any business right now? 

Maybe they've already done a deal for Upameacano in the summer and it's £40 million and that's why we are waiting. Who knows, neither you or me do...that's for certain. But the club and Klopp have done great up until now so i trust them to make a good decision and the right decision for the long term. As they have been. It would make more sense to just get a stop gap in now and then really address the position with some real quality for next year.

Don't be so knee jerk over everything. Chill. 

What a reply. It's so full of nonsense I don't even know where to begin. "They spent 70-odd million in the summer". Who spent that exactly? They spent what we brought in.

Look, I know we're owned by fellas who are here for the dough. They're not even here for the good days as they mostly can't even be arsed to get on a plane and come here. They're cunts. Their actions show they're cunts. 70m in the summer? Fuck off. Look at what they've spent since klopp has been here. Fuck all - about 100m net in 5 years. And in that same period they've created the walkout over ticket prices, they've done countless bits of shit. But if you want to suck them off for this imaginary "70m". Good for you. Fuck that, they're cunts. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Are you seriously stating that Davies will be behind Koumetio and Williams? That's plain wrong isn't it. I'm not saying the owners aren't taking the piss. I'm pissed of with them myself as we should have acted sooner but to state Davies is behind those you mention is utter rubbish 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You could have just said FSG weren't going to sign anybody before everybody got injured, and they should be criticized for that. That would have been fine and it's true. Instead, you're trying to spin this signing into even more of a negative and you sound like a crank. Well, you kind of are a crank on this topic, so there. 

Klopp said after the match today, we're not looking at replacing the players on the pitch right now, we're looking for alternatives if they get injured too. Of course it's a negative. It's this season's Steven Caulker. We don't need one of them, we need someone who can actually get a fucking game. If someone thinks buying an 8th choice centre back is good they can fuck off. 

Just now, Freddo said:

Are you seriously stating that Davies will be behind Koumetio and Williams? That's plain wrong isn't it. I'm not saying the owners aren't taking the piss. I'm pissed of with them myself as we should have acted sooner but to state Davies is behind those you mention is utter rubbish 

I've never watched him play. I'm just saying what klopp said. We're looking at players to back up the current ones..

I've never watched him play. I'm just saying what klopp said. We're looking at players to back up the current ones..

Fair enough. Let's just hope he does a job. Obviously hoping the lads not the long term solution.. Surely that gets addressed in the summer. 

2 minutes ago, Freddo said:

Fair enough. Let's just hope he does a job. Obviously hoping the lads not the long term solution.. Surely that gets addressed in the summer. 

The summer is the summer. We need someone to solve problems now. It's a sorry state of affairs our current objectives appear to be some type of backup to lads who shouldn't be near the team.

• Upvote 1

The summer is the summer. We need someone to solve problems now. It's a sorry state of affairs our current objectives appear to be some type of backup to lads who shouldn't be near the team.

We should all be grateful our wonderful owners are going to spend money, how dare you say anything against them. Obviously not a proper fan, you are probably more concerned with winning trophies than their profit margins. Disgraceful. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Just assumptions made on what klopp said after the game that we're looking to bring in lads who can back up the backup lads. If you think that's wild, I'd hate to live your life. 

I think Davies will move ahead of Williams and probably Phillips too.  He's quick, so more suited to the way we play.

He's far from ideal, but better than bringing nobody at all in, or some over the hill player or somebody lacking match fitness.