You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 minute ago, Moctezuma said:

I don't think he'll walk, but if I was in his position I'd be very tempted, I get the impression they have pulled this stuff with him on multiple occasions. I think we may end up looking back on this period of time as a huge missed opportunity not to have accrued more titles, which has certainly been a factor when Klopp has looked at this bench in the various finals he has been involved in with the club.

One injury losing us a champions league cause we had no real cover for our front three comes to mind. 

He's definitely clashed with them before but this time he's making it public.  Ain't a good sign at all. 

8 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Lonergan and Manninger never played a game as they were just back up keepers in their late 30s.

Karius was awful but was touted as a good keeper in the Bundesliga but ultimately couldnt hack playing for us. 

Adrian was shite but I very much doubt Klopp wanted him, he was probably told money on a back up keeper wasn't available.

Solanke was just another FSG greedy moneyball signing as we got him fairly cheaply for an England youth international and then sold him to Bournemouth for a good profit. 

It's too early to say Elliot is a shit signing, he may come good after his loan spell or he may get sold on. 

Minamino has been disappointing and I think he was only signed because he was £7m. If he was £25m which allegedly was his true valuation without his release clause we would never have gone near him. Same with Shaqiri. At least he does the odd thing on the rare occasions he manages to string a few games together. 

Tsimikas doesnt look like he will make an impact here, is constantly injured and doesnt seem that good when he has played, albeit briefly.

Agree that Van Den Berg looks shit, he has no pace and has no confidence or aggression needed to play centre back. But again, he was just a cheap signing that could be moved on for a small profit.

The main ones who can be counted as really bad signings are Keita and Chamberlain. Keita has been probably the most underwhelming signing in our recent history, after his displays in Germany everyone was excited about him. Yet he's done absolutely nothing apart from the odd goal and a few average performances, usually when we were already winning. 

Chamberlain was a complete waste of money. £40m for an injury prone player in their last year of contract. Had a spell where he had a few good games with some good goals before he fucked his knee. Now he is just a player who gets the odd start every now and again and would have played in the domestic cups if we took them seriously. 

My list isn't all about judging a player's ability though.  EG, I rate Shaqiri really highly, but the lad is unlucky, or can't stay fit or can't train properly, or isn't eating right, or whatever reason it is, the signing hasn't realised his potential and is often unusable. The exact same argument for Keita, Chamberlain, Tsimikas.  Key signings. 

If this news that we’ve at least contacted Stelios to check on his situation is true then it sounds like there’s at least been an acknowledgement from within the club that a short-term fix has to be explored. Stelios wouldn’t be my ideal signing by a stretch, but he’s streets ahead of both Williams and Phillips plus he’s already used to playing for Klopp. 

Desperate fucking times mind that we’re even in a position to be considering Arsenal’s castoffs, but needs must. 

24 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

If this news that we’ve at least contacted Stelios to check on his situation is true then it sounds like there’s at least been an acknowledgement from within the club that a short-term fix has to be explored. Stelios wouldn’t be my ideal signing by a stretch, but he’s streets ahead of both Williams and Phillips plus he’s already used to playing for Klopp. 

Desperate fucking times mind that we’re even in a position to be considering Arsenal’s castoffs, but needs must.

I know needs must and all that, but signing a 40-something shortarse Greek winger who once played for Bolton is not the answer. And if it IS the answer, I really do not want to know the question.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The fact we haven't signed anyone even as a stop-gap has led many to think its the owners blocking anything from happening on that front. Many more have taken Klopp's words last week to suggest that he wanted reinforcements now but was told no. In terms of stop-gaps, Klopp has only signed Caulker. Every other time he has chosen to plug gaps using whoever was available in his squad.

IF it really is the owners applying the brakes on recruitment right now, then I'd throw in a Red Sox situation to the owners. If the Red Sox were in contention for a play-off place but the starting rotation (the pitchers that start a match and usually last for 5-6 of the 9 innings in a game) was light due to injury and would be for a number of weeks, would they look to try and bring someone in to lighten the load or would they be in favour of using inexperienced pitchers or relief pitchers already on the roster to fill the gap? Inexperienced pitchers can buckle under the pressure, and relievers usually only come on for an inning or two partway through a game, so they normally don't have the consistency or durability to last for 5-6 innings. Remember, a potential play-off place is at stake and a few weeks is well over a dozen games.

Klopp has always gambled when weighing short term problems with long term planning. We screamed out for signings when we missed out on 4th, and he gambled that he could get more out of the squad. He was proved right, he kept his powder dry, we got CL qualification and he attracted a better quality of player.

Same goes for when we missed out on the league. Fans crying for a big signing that would get us over that last hurdle, but Klopp bet on getting even more from his players. 

He gambled in the summer on Thiago and Jota rather than a CB. By all reports Thiago was a player he pushed for, even though he didn't necessarily fit the club's transfer model. The risk was clear, he signed off on it, and unfortunately now he's dealing with the worst case scenario. I'm not saying the owners are completely blameless, as these seem extraordinary circumstances, but shifting the emphasis from Klopp to them seems a little too easy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Centre half situation is not a short term problem though, it is a long term one and a big one at that.

We actually need 2 really and even if you can't get the main, big one you need right now (because the injuries have bought that need forward to now from the summer) because he is just not available now, or the premium is too high, then surely you move heaven and earth to bring the other one you need in now, who will be cheaper anyway (who would be 3rd or 4th choice next season) 

Bringing him in now helps now of course as he can play in this current situation and be better than what we have and it also means you aren't settling in two new players in a position at club in summer.

Seems owners and or Klopp see it differently though of course.

• Upvote 4

Thing is though, when he went for Thiago, Jota and Tsimikas in summer, Klopp was banking on a few things. He expected Van Dijk to keep up his incredible fitness record, Gomez to improve his, and Fabinho to be excellent as a centre back. Even if only two of those things happened, we'd have been fine.

Still think the biggest issue is with Trent, the front three and a lesser extent Robertson.

42 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Klopp has always gambled when weighing short term problems with long term planning. We screamed out for signings when we missed out on 4th, and he gambled that he could get more out of the squad. He was proved right, he kept his powder dry, we got CL qualification and he attracted a better quality of player.

Same goes for when we missed out on the league. Fans crying for a big signing that would get us over that last hurdle, but Klopp bet on getting even more from his players. 

He gambled in the summer on Thiago and Jota rather than a CB. By all reports Thiago was a player he pushed for, even though he didn't necessarily fit the club's transfer model. The risk was clear, he signed off on it, and unfortunately now he's dealing with the worst case scenario. I'm not saying the owners are completely blameless, as these seem extraordinary circumstances, but shifting the emphasis from Klopp to them seems a little too easy.

The reality is it's everyone's fault from Klopp, to Edwards, to FSG, but only one of these is an easy target. 

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Certainly the thriftiness inherent in Klopp's managerial philosophy seems to suit FSG perfectly.

If the summer signings were all on Klopp then yes he did take a gamble, however no one could have foreseen the extent of the injury issues.  Terrible luck.

But that's not the point, the point is the manager who's won us the two biggest trophies, has increased the value of their asset enormously, put us back on the map etc etc now needs a helping hand because his gamble has not paid off.  That's what decent owners would do, that's what owners who recognise the value of the manager would do.  But they are neither.

They are cheap bastards.

• Upvote 8

I dont get why we are just letting Gini walk away for free. FSG would sell their granny yet we are letting our most ever present midfielder just leave. Him not being injury prone is a huge asset to this side, were most of our midfielders muscle fibres are made of millions of Darren Andertons. I dont get FSGs model it seems to exist on just how much magic can we squeeze from Klopp before we have to say yes to anything that may cost money.  The age of our squad the difference in talent between those 28 plus and those younger alongside how injury prone they are, the fact we havent evolved the side a piece at a time means we have a much bigger job in a shorter window especially with klopps contract and owners who havent the bollocks or ambition to do whats needed. This is a short lived dynasty. I wonder if FSG think winning the title was a reset and we can be content for another 30 years.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Thoth said:

Is that Eric Garcia not available for buttons? He is out of contract at the end of the season. Barca want him but they are broke so could be an option.

I haven’t YouTube scouted him yet so not sure if I approve 

It would be such an uplifting fairytale if Man City gave their biggest title rivals a helping hand by selling them a centerback.

However, even if he has been shite for them, they would be scared that he might turn out good for us. Our happily ever after with Eric Garcia ain't ever happening mate. Pep wont allow it, neither would his bosses.