You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Poor lad looks fucking terrified out there too.

He does. That 2nd goal, he was petrified of the ball. It's just mental we're putting the las through it. It's pretty likely these moments will be the highlights of his career and he's too petrified to kick the ball. 

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

Wouldn't be surprised if klopp walks.  Another pop about being denied a centre back today. 

He's well intitled to tell them he can't work miracles and he's took us as far as he can.  

What did he say today? The interview I watched he didn't mention anything to do with transfers. 

3 hours ago, littletedwest said:

I don't know if it is attitude. They say it's hard to win three titles on the trot. I know we've only done one but we made a superhuman effort the year before and won the champions league. 

We definitely need a freshen up. Trent looks burned out,  we have run a great squad into the ground. 

I know that teams years ago only used 15 players and all that. Difference is so did their opponents, now City etc al can have a bench in the hundreds of millions 

Trent does look fucked. Covid maybe.

7 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Have people actually watched Grujic? 

If he was any fucking good he would still be here or someone would have stumped up 15/20ml for him. He's currently riding the bench at  Porto 

Exactly. No one wanted him because we wanted to at least double our money that we paid for him so just sent him out on another loan which wont get anyone motivated to buy him.

We should be signing a centreback and loaning another. We are a fabinho injury away from a nightmare season. Besides fabinho should be in midfield anyway. Every single person who watches football can see Liverpool desperately need to sort the Centre back issue  the manager who has worked absolute miracles has said he needs a centre back. We don't lose last night if we didn't have to play a kid and a midfielder in defence. Champions league will be fucked Matip cant play 2 games a week so its back to Henderson in centreback position again. Shambles.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Grinch said:

Wouldn't be surprised if klopp walks.  Another pop about being denied a centre back today. 

He's well intitled to tell them he can't work miracles and he's took us as far as he can.  

Look around, which other manager is getting what they want in the transfer window at the moment?  He won't walk on that basis, it would look ridiculous. 

Much of this is a problem that Klopp has cultivated with keeping slow U23's on the books. It's fuck all to do with age, I'll bet you any money you like that Williams, Van Den Berg and Phillips are still slow when they're 28. 

The same problem is endemic across all of the team.  There is no U23 forward option, no CDM option.  Nico Williams would be used at full back a lot more often if he was anywhere near good enough to provide rest, Kelleher is decent from the look of it but would we really not find big faults with him if he was needed for a run of 15 games? 

The likes of Jack Bearne, Yasser Larouci, Jake Cain, Leighton Clarkson, Joe Hardy, Luis Longstaff, Abdi Sharif, etc etc....do me a favour, these aren't on the same planet as the likes of Grujic, Ojo, Elliott, Wilson, Woodburn, who in turn aren't good enough to usurp Origi, Shaqiri, Minamino, Chamberlain, let alone be capable replacements for the first XI. 

This being the case, the owners must be wondering why it is we are paying a fortune to pretend we have depth, or sat on big future sales.  We can't shift Wilson, Woodburn, Grujic, Ojo, still. 

Klopp spent £80m in 2020 on Minamino, Tsimikas, Thiago, Jota. 

They have 11 starts between them... 

If FSG gave Klopp £40m to sign a CB, there is a greater chance he will get it wrong than right.  The record is pretty clear.

Good signings

Matip

Mane

Wijnaldum

Salah

Robertson

Van Dijk

Fabinho

Alisson

Adrian

Thiago

Jota

Bad signings

Karius

Klavan

Manninger

Solanke

Oxlade Chamberlain

Keita

Shaqiri

Van Den Berg

Elliott

Lonergen

Minamino

Tsimikas

• Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Look around, which other manager is getting what they want in the transfer window at the moment?  He won't walk on that basis, it would look ridiculous. 

Much of this is a problem that Klopp has cultivated with keeping slow U23's on the books. It's fuck all to do with age, I'll bet you any money you like that Williams, Van Den Berg and Phillips are still slow when they're 28. 

The same problem is endemic across all of the team.  There is no U23 forward option, no CDM option.  Nico Williams would be used at full back a lot more often if he was anywhere near good enough to provide rest, Kelleher is decent from the look of it but would we really not find big faults with him if he was needed for a run of 15 games? 

The likes of Jack Bearne, Yasser Larouci, Jake Cain, Leighton Clarkson, Joe Hardy, Luis Longstaff, Abdi Sharif, etc etc....do me a favour, these aren't on the same planet as the likes of Grujic, Ojo, Elliott, Wilson, Woodburn, who in turn aren't good enough to usurp Origi, Shaqiri, Minamino, Chamberlain, let alone be capable replacements for the first XI. 

This being the case, the owners must be wondering why it is we are paying a fortune to pretend we have depth, or sat on big future sales.  We can't shift Wilson, Woodburn, Grujic, Ojo, still. 

If FSG gave Klopp £40m to sign a CB, there is a greater chance he will get it wrong than right.  The record is pretty clear.

Good signings

Matip

Mane

Wijnaldum

Salah

Robertson

Van Dijk

Fabinho

Alisson

Adrian

Thiago

Jota

Bad signings

Karius

Klavan

Manninger

Solanke

Oxlade Chamberlain

Keita

Shaqiri

Van Den Berg

Elliott

Lonergen

Minamino

Tsimikas

What a load of shite.

• Upvote 8

52 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Most of his signings?

Klopp could go and pick an experienced amateur CB from the local area and it would be better than what we have.  

You've got klavan down as a bad signing there, but he did exactly what he was recruited to do. If only we had someone of his standard now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Good signings

Matip

Mane

Wijnaldum

Salah

Robertson

Van Dijk

Fabinho

Alisson

Adrian

Thiago

Jota

Bad signings

Karius

Klavan

Manninger

Solanke

Oxlade Chamberlain

Keita

Shaqiri

Van Den Berg

Elliott

Lonergen

Minamino

Tsimikas

I think you have it wrong about Elliott 

13 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Come on Joey. Williams is terrible. He mightn't be terrible forever. He mightn't end up having a bad career. But he is so out of his depth here and now. He knows it too and I feel sorry for him because he's being expose due to poor squad management at the club. There's probably 500 centre backs around Europe who are better than him. I'd be shocked if we couldn't find one who is approaching premiership level. This lad looks like what he is, a boy who was playing non-league football months ago and should be nowhere near the majority of full time professional clubs. I genuinely can't think of a player who's played 10 games for us in half a seaaon who's his level of bad. I could probably say 10 games and leave the half a season out. Grujic might not be the answer, but I would be 100% certai ln he would be an improvement even though he's playing out of position and he seems a long way from a world beater. Honestly, the lad is that bad, I'd take divock playing there before him. It's a terrible state of affairs us needing to turn to him on a regular basis. 

Haha, I agree with most of what you’re saying but had to laugh at the thought of Origi playing CB!

We agree that Williams is nowhere near good enough and, due to the lack of pace, probably never will be.

To discuss the solution is more interesting and we need a bit more than ‘better than Rhys Williams’ in my opinion. Phillips obviously isn’t any better, if he was he’d play instead. Also dont think Grujic would help much, if at all.

Playing CB in our system, and with all teams in the country now setting up specifically to punish us on the break, is not an easy task. Remember it started before we lost Van Dijk, Villa had a perfect game plan and caught us on an off day, and we all know how that ended up,

We need either a stop gap, still needs to ve decent however, and not Grujic imo. Or we need to go for a long term solution right away, which isn’t likely to happen.

I’d look at the biggest clubs abroad, with big squads and maybe one CB too many at the time. And try and loan either an up and coming one or an experienced out of favour one.

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Good signings

Matip

Mane

Wijnaldum

Salah

Robertson

Van Dijk

Fabinho

Alisson

Adrian

Thiago

Jota

Bad signings

Karius

Klavan

Manninger

Solanke

Oxlade Chamberlain

Keita

Shaqiri

Van Den Berg

Elliott

Lonergen

Minamino

Tsimikas

Lonergan and Manninger never played a game as they were just back up keepers in their late 30s.

Karius was awful but was touted as a good keeper in the Bundesliga but ultimately couldnt hack playing for us. 

Adrian was shite but I very much doubt Klopp wanted him, he was probably told money on a back up keeper wasn't available.

Solanke was just another FSG greedy moneyball signing as we got him fairly cheaply for an England youth international and then sold him to Bournemouth for a good profit. 

It's too early to say Elliot is a shit signing, he may come good after his loan spell or he may get sold on. 

Minamino has been disappointing and I think he was only signed because he was £7m. If he was £25m which allegedly was his true valuation without his release clause we would never have gone near him. Same with Shaqiri. At least he does the odd thing on the rare occasions he manages to string a few games together. 

Tsimikas doesnt look like he will make an impact here, is constantly injured and doesnt seem that good when he has played, albeit briefly.

Agree that Van Den Berg looks shit, he has no pace and has no confidence or aggression needed to play centre back. But again, he was just a cheap signing that could be moved on for a small profit.

The main ones who can be counted as really bad signings are Keita and Chamberlain. Keita has been probably the most underwhelming signing in our recent history, after his displays in Germany everyone was excited about him. Yet he's done absolutely nothing apart from the odd goal and a few average performances, usually when we were already winning. 

Chamberlain was a complete waste of money. £40m for an injury prone player in their last year of contract. Had a spell where he had a few good games with some good goals before he fucked his knee. Now he is just a player who gets the odd start every now and again and would have played in the domestic cups if we took them seriously. 

Just now, Colonel Bumcunt said:

He wasn't exactly our level, was he, and that was £4.2m.

Depends what you mean by "our level". If you mean the level of the lad who was on the pitch yesterday and has played a dozen times this season, or his alternative who's played another 3, you're right, he's not on our level. He is fucking miles above our level. Klavan is exactly what you want out of the 4th choice centre back. 

So he's no VVD, but who is? But he's a very decent centre back. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Lonergan and Manninger never played a game as they were just back up keepers in their late 30s.

Karius was awful but was touted as a good keeper in the Bundesliga but ultimately couldnt hack playing for us. 

Adrian was shite but I very much doubt Klopp wanted him, he was probably told money on a back up keeper wasn't available.

Solanke was just another FSG greedy moneyball signing as we got him fairly cheaply for an England youth international and then sold him to Bournemouth for a good profit. 

It's too early to say Elliot is a shit signing, he may come good after his loan spell or he may get sold on. 

Minamino has been disappointing and I think he was only signed because he was £7m. If he was £25m which allegedly was his true valuation without his release clause we would never have gone near him. Same with Shaqiri. At least he does the odd thing on the rare occasions he manages to string a few games together. 

Tsimikas doesnt look like he will make an impact here, is constantly injured and doesnt seem that good when he has played, albeit briefly.

Agree that Van Den Berg looks shit, he has no pace and has no confidence or aggression needed to play centre back. But again, he was just a cheap signing that could be moved on for a small profit.

The main ones who can be counted as really bad signings are Keita and Chamberlain. Keita has been probably the most underwhelming signing in our recent history, after his displays in Germany everyone was excited about him. Yet he's done absolutely nothing apart from the odd goal and a few average performances, usually when we were already winning. 

Chamberlain was a complete waste of money. £40m for an injury prone player in their last year of contract. Had a spell where he had a few good games with some good goals before he fucked his knee. Now he is just a player who gets the odd start every now and again and would have played in the domestic cups if we took them seriously. 

Agree with all except Tsimikas, too early on him I think.

13 hours ago, Grinch said:

I don't think he'll walk, but if I was in his position I'd be very tempted, I get the impression they have pulled this stuff with him on multiple occasions. I think we may end up looking back on this period of time as a huge missed opportunity not to have accrued more titles, which has certainly been a factor when Klopp has looked at this bench in the various finals he has been involved in with the club.

15 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Haha, I agree with most of what you’re saying but had to laugh at the thought of Origi playing CB!

We agree that Williams is nowhere near good enough and, due to the lack of pace, probably never will be.

To discuss the solution is more interesting and we need a bit more than ‘better than Rhys Williams’ in my opinion. Phillips obviously isn’t any better, if he was he’d play instead. Also dont think Grujic would help much, if at all.

Playing CB in our system, and with all teams in the country now setting up specifically to punish us on the break, is not an easy task. Remember it started before we lost Van Dijk, Villa had a perfect game plan and caught us on an off day, and we all know how that ended up,

We need either a stop gap, still needs to ve decent however, and not Grujic imo. Or we need to go for a long term solution right away, which isn’t likely to happen.

I’d look at the biggest clubs abroad, with big squads and maybe one CB too many at the time. And try and loan either an up and coming one or an experienced out of favour one.

That's all pretty fair. The bottom line for me is the fact the idea of a lad who plays midfield and has been here for 5 years seems even some type of viable alternative reflects just how bad the situation is. It's incomprehensible to me we can't find anyone - and if we genuinely can't, it's a sad reflection of our recruitment process. 

You're right we should be aiming to buy someone who is more than "better than Williams", but that's mostly because there aren't many professional footballers who don't meet that criteria and we're the fucking English champions. It's a complete fucking shambles. And the fuckers are banking the payments from England to pay Gomez's wages and won't even find us a loan deal.