You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

7 minutes ago, No2 said:

There has been no signings at all compared to 230m last year with loads of those point's above just as valid last year. Clubs have to be looking at their wage bill and seeing they aren't compatible with reality if the TV companies go under and that is something they are probably  considering for the first time.

Why do you think TV companies will go under? 

Edit and if they do, they'll just launch a Global PL TV station and stream it though Amazon or whatever. 

2 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

I think so too and he’s certainly not young enough to see as a good punt but Kloppo seems to love him. I’d be surprised if Big Mike see’s the value in him at whatever extortionate fee Wolves will want.

He is good at running and that is about it.

Would be a 50m plus job and he wouldn't fit in at all with how we play IMO.

20 minutes ago, No2 said:

There has been no signings at all compared to 230m last year with loads of those point's above just as valid last year. Clubs have to be looking at their wage bill and seeing they aren't compatible with reality if the TV companies go under and that is something they are probably  considering for the first time.

Is this not compatible in net spend to last year? (Note the negative is back to front to how I'd interpt it)

Only 3 clubs spent over 10m

Man united - with a signing they failed to complete in the summer

Spurs, who'd just hired mourinho and had their CL money

And sheff United - who i think are the only outlier, but there is covid which has to hamper things to some extent and the window isn't closed yet. 

https://amp-sportsmole-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/transfer-guides/feature/premier-league-transfer-ins-and-outs-january-2020_382539.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16114146807703&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportsmole.co.uk%2Ffootball%2Ftransfer-guides%2Ffeature%2Fpremier-league-transfer-ins-and-outs-january-2020_382539.html

Arsenal net transfer balance: -£4.5m

Aston Villa net transfer balance: -£6.75m

Bournemouth net transfer balance: -£0

Brighton net transfer balance: -£9.1m

Burnley net transfer balance: -£4.73m

Chelsea net transfer balance: £5.31m

Crystal Palace net transfer balance: -£270,000

Everton net transfer balance: -£1m

Leicester City net transfer balance: -£0

Liverpool net transfer balance: -£7.65m

Man City net transfer balance: -£0

Man Utd net transfer balance: -£48.15m

Newcastle net transfer balance: -£4.05m

Norwich City net transfer balance: -£4.01m

Sheffield United net transfer balance: -£19.17m

Southampton net transfer balance: £0

Tottenham Hotspur net transfer balance: -£37.1m

Watford net transfer balance: -£9m

West Ham net transfer balance: -£27.45m

Wolverhampton Wanderers net transfer balance: -£5.31m

Share thi

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Why do you think TV companies will go under? 

Edit and if they do, they'll just launch a Global PL TV station and stream it though Amazon or whatever. 

I don't think or know they will go under, I'm just speculating on why nobody is spending any money. Its not less or slightly restrained its none. Its too weird to be just coincidences.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Is this not compatible in net spend to last year? (Note the negative is back to front to how I'd interprut it)

Only 3 clubs spent over 10m

Man united - with a signing they failed to complete in the summer

Spurs, who'd just hired mourinho and had their CL money

And sheff United - who i think are the only outlier, but there is covid which has to hamper things to some extent and the window isn't closed yet. 

https://amp-sportsmole-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/transfer-guides/feature/premier-league-transfer-ins-and-outs-january-2020_382539.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16114146807703&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportsmole.co.uk%2Ffootball%2Ftransfer-guides%2Ffeature%2Fpremier-league-transfer-ins-and-outs-january-2020_382539.html

Arsenal net transfer balance: -£4.5m

Aston Villa net transfer balance: -£6.75m

Bournemouth net transfer balance: -£0

Brighton net transfer balance: -£9.1m

Burnley net transfer balance: -£4.73m

Chelsea net transfer balance: £5.31m

Crystal Palace net transfer balance: -£270,000

Everton net transfer balance: -£1m

Leicester City net transfer balance: -£0

Liverpool net transfer balance: -£7.65m

Man City net transfer balance: -£0

Man Utd net transfer balance: -£48.15m

Newcastle net transfer balance: -£4.05m

Norwich City net transfer balance: -£4.01m

Sheffield United net transfer balance: -£19.17m

Southampton net transfer balance: £0

Tottenham Hotspur net transfer balance: -£37.1m

Watford net transfer balance: -£9m

West Ham net transfer balance: -£27.45m

Wolverhampton Wanderers net transfer balance: -£5.31m

Share thi

That's kind of my point,  clubs haven't sold some one for 10m and replaced them for something similar.  They haven't taken on any extra costs at all, no agents, no additional contract lengths. It would be interesting to see who has recently signed up players to newer contracts. 

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Any one of these would be better than our current options of playing CMs at CB or underdeveloped / not up to standard young players. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=3&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=alle&yt0=Show

I like the sound of that Bruno Romo. Sounds like a 1980’s WWF wrestler.

33 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What do you mean? Aside from the spent in the summer and are going to piss the league anyway? They don't need anyone. 

I don't think there's any big bubble burst, it's just the league is more full of owners than ever who's objective is financial reward and not sporting. 

So you think they are a good example of the latter? Who else is?

59 minutes ago, No2 said:

That's kind of my point,  clubs haven't sold some one for 10m and replaced them for something similar.  They haven't taken on any extra costs at all, no agents, no additional contract lengths. It would be interesting to see who has recently signed up players to newer contracts. 

Well I think there might be some wage depression because of covid. All over Europe people have got less, so I would imagine there's a lot of lads sitting on benches who maybe can't get a bigger (or as good) salary as they are getting now, so agents are not able to generate the churn they normally can. 

54 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't think there's any big bubble burst, it's just the league is more full of owners than ever who's objective is financial reward and not sporting. 

So you think they are a good example of the latter? Who else is?

City owners are here for financial reward. Just a different financial reward as fsg. They've spent, they've had their run in with uefa on ffp and got away with it on a technicality. They won't get away with it on a technicality again. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

City owners are here for financial reward. Just a different financial reward as fsg. They've spent, they've had their run in with uefa on ffp and got away with it on a technicality. They won't get away with it on a technicality again. 

So which clubs are examples of sport over finance?

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

So which clubs are examples of sport over finance?

Chelsea currently. Maybe Everton, I don't really understand what is happening there.  It used to be just about everyone. But since the league has been full of people who are here as an investment rather than an ego trip, it's becoming less and less about the sport. I don't really see the premier league as much beyond a reality TV show any more, there for the financial benefit of the people who own the show. What was the old saying "nobody owns a football club to make money". That was maybe the 90s when that was last true and slowly but surely we've morphed from a sport into an entertainment industry. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Chelsea currently.

I guess you must mean cuz they bought a few players recently with the Hazard money.

Last 5 years net:

13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m

I think Everton has probably been the best example of how not to do it.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I guess you must mean cuz they bought a few players recently with the Hazard money.

Last 5 years net:

13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m

I think Everton has probably been the best example of how not to do it.

That only surprises me to an extent as some of the incoming fees (not Hazard) over the years have been inexplicably eye watering. Although they have been very good at the people trafficking thing they do. 

On 22/01/2021 at 21:11, Barrington Womble said:

But we got those two in by sacrificing players who we've previously been told were sacred and the future. Thiago came in because we got his fee off sheff United for brewster. Jota came in because we've taken the 1st installment off hoever and the 2nd will likely be paid by whatever tribunal fee we get for Wilson. I've never doubted their capacity to sell to buy. They've done it since their very 1st window at the club. They now need to take some of those millions they've been telling us they were so brilliant at making and invest where klopp wants it. If that means the club needs to increase its rolling credit facility, I'm alright with that, because I'll back klopp to have the talent to make sure the club keeps smashing it. Aside from the hedgefunds, the Tory's mates and fucking amazon, just about everyone else will come out of this pandemic with more debt than they went in. It's completely fucking all business and it's ok if we need to borrow to ensure we've still got a top side at the end of it. 

That's not the same as saying we won't buy anyone. And most of my post reflected an agreement with your take on how we bought them.

We also know (and I believe you've been a leader on this theory too) that we big up certain players to inflate their values, knowing we won't be playing them.

If you honestly think Hoever and Brewster were ever considered first teamers,  fair enough. I don't.

Anyway, to summarise - selling to buy is not the same as not buying. And we're definitely buying this summer.

22 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I see the line should Liverpool fail to finish in the top 4 then transfers and new contracts will be difficult to get over the line has been sent out to the club mouthpieces, I mean journos

So we can't spend now to stay in the top 4, but we won't be able to spend in the summer if we don't make the top 4.

I see a pattern emerging. 

5 hours ago, Trumo said:

So we're definitely selling then.

Of course we are. We're freeing up Gini's wages for starters, and Adrian, Grujic, Wilson, Shaqiri, Origi, Phillips will all be on the list, subject to offers.

Possibly Minanimo and Oxlade too.

Every single person in power at the football club wants fucking for what has happened to us....we won the fucking european cup and league title back to back...any other club in the world would have best players on planet forming a queue to join them.

They would have a feelgood factor and be building on it and entering a period of domimance.

We have regressed back to what we were before Klopp came...all because a wafer thin squad got some injuries and exposed the sand it was built on and the desperate lack of depth and bastard owners won't spend....so we have a kid so far out of his depth it is a shame for him getting exposed, and our other options are an equally poor lad who should at best be at a championship side, or midfielders - managing to weaken us even further and in both areas.

End result...title thrown away with a whimper and back firmly in the pack behind this shower of bastards who have beat us today.

Its a fucking shambles and it is fucking criminal.

• Upvote 7

When you're running 13 realible players into the ground with no squad to speak of, don't be surprised when it goes to shit with one or two out. 

The owners need run of town.  The lack of investment has totally fucked everything klopp built. You'll still get cunts sucking then off in the summer tho. 

• Upvote 1