You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Haaland is a possibility but Mbappe is pie in the sky stuff.

Not that he wouldn't be interested because he would but more because not a chance we sign him and pay him about 500 or 600k a week. Even if Nike funded half of it, FSG would know it fucks up their wage structure forever.

I love Mbappe but would rather we signed 2 or 3 world class or potentially world class players over the next 18 months  and 1 or 2 guys with potential like Tsimikas. We haven't benefitted from the last window really because of injuries but Thiago, Jota and Tsimikas is the kind of window or two I mean. Right now, it's hard to feel it but the team is still outstanding with several players who are arguably the best in the world, so not major surgery required.

We really need to get the age range down with a few players about 23 or 24 though. Funny thing is Jurgen will probably sign a lad from the continent for ten million that will be a sixty million player in a year or two. With him at the helm, I have bo doubt that regardless what happens this season, we will be bang right back at it next year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

In view of Klopp’s comments we can safely close this one off early.

I still think there's a chance someone will come in if we can sell origi. It's just a question of who'd sign him when he barely gets a minute and when he does, misses a chance like he did on Thursday. A team desperate for goals probably look elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Haaland is a possibility but Mbappe is pie in the sky stuff.

Not that he wouldn't be interested because he would but more because not a chance we sign him and pay him about 500 or 600k a week. Even if Nike funded half of it, FSG would know it fucks up their wage structure forever.

I love Mbappe but would rather we signed 2 or 3 world class or potentially world class players over the next 18 months  and 1 or 2 guys with potential like Tsimikas. We haven't benefitted from the last window really because of injuries but Thiago, Jota and Tsimikas is the kind of window or two I mean. Right now, it's hard to feel it but the team is still outstanding with several players who are arguably the best in the world, so not major surgery required.

We really need to get the age range down with a few players about 23 or 24 though. Funny thing is Jurgen will probably sign a lad from the continent for ten million that will be a sixty million player in a year or two. With him at the helm, I have bo doubt that regardless what happens this season, we will be bang right back at it next year.

Good post out of rep 

The only way Mbappe ever signs for us if it’s funded by Nike and his agent see’s it as a nice way to pocket £50m or £60m in fee’s before moving him on again to Barce or Real. No way do the club allow that, It’s just never going to happen. Haaland, whilst more realistic won’t happen because the queue of people willing to pay him 300k or £400k a week will be too long to make our “but this is Liverpool...” argument persuasive.

Heard links to Traore of super fast no end product fame doing the rounds. Do we maybe see the sale of Salah as being a swap for Traore and a forward? If we signed a goal scoring forward maybe Klopp see’s Traore as less of a punt. Jota, Mane, Firmino, Traore and a centre forward in the Haaland/Lewandowski mould but one most of us bar Stacksy and Code have never heard of. We were after Werner after all and if Bobby can’t be arsed scoring we might see sense in pulling him deeper. Hendo, Thiago and Bobby playing behind Mane, Jota and a CF is a bit different but bold enough for Klopp to like it. Fuck knows, I’m pretty sure I’ve just made the Ardja argument after laughing at it for about two years.

15 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

I'm going to predict summer transfer window thread going the same way as this one. The club will say Gomez and VVD will be like new signings when they come back next season, we won't need to sign cover and we can save Millions. 

Cunts.

We won't get rid of the injury prone players either as no one will be stupid enough to take them. We will be stuck with Shaqiri, Matip, Chamberlain and Keita who will be unavailable for long periods of the season. 

Wilson, Nat Phillips, Awoniyi, Grujic, Woodburn will be sold to cover Covid and Origi will still be here because no one will pay money for him. 

But according to The Echo we are in for Mbappe. 

The Guardian have a transfer section that shows only Arsenal have bought anyone, some lad for a half a million from Herta Berlin and they released Ozil, Sokratis and the young French lad to do that. Something is going on, is the bubble about to burst? Are Sky or BT or bigger European broadcasters fucked? Loads of teams are desperate for players and loads must be desperate to get rid of them yet nothing is happening anywhere. If we gave Ox, Keita or Origi away for free we would struggle to find a taker willing to match their wages.

Taking ourselves as example we have our front 3 on roughly 200k per week, with Madrid and Barcelona fucked the market for them now consists of 3 English rivals and PSG if we wanted to sell them. FSG are a million things but stupid isn't one of them, if a 20m investment guaranteed champions league football they would do it so why aren't they?

I watched the big short last week, this all has a feel of that about it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Any one of these would be better than our current options of playing CMs at CB or underdeveloped / not up to standard young players. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=3&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=alle&yt0=Show

1 hour ago, No2 said:

The Guardian have a transfer section that shows only Arsenal have bought anyone, some lad for a half a million from Herta Berlin and they released Ozil, Sokratis and the young French lad to do that. Something is going on, is the bubble about to burst? Are Sky or BT or bigger European broadcasters fucked? Loads of teams are desperate for players and loads must be desperate to get rid of them yet nothing is happening anywhere. If we gave Ox, Keita or Origi away for free we would struggle to find a taker willing to match their wages.

Taking ourselves as example we have our front 3 on roughly 200k per week, with Madrid and Barcelona fucked the market for them now consists of 3 English rivals and PSG if we wanted to sell them. FSG are a million things but stupid isn't one of them, if a 20m investment guaranteed champions league football they would do it so why aren't they?

I watched the big short last week, this all has a feel of that about it.

I always think a lot of spending is driven by the club's facing relegation - arsenal's situation is surely understandable as they've not had CL for years and have an owner who won't want to invest to turn things around, it's why him and usmanov never got on. 

The thing with the teams facing relegation this season is there's sheff united - they blew what they had on Brewster, there's nothing.left. there's Fulham, but they can probably accept relegation and are showing signs of some recovery anyway. There's west brom, who again can probably survive going down and their bid to stay up was to roll with fat Sam. Burnley are going through a take over. And Brighton I am pretty sure will feel they don't need to sign anyone. Newcastle are not really in amongst it as they often spend in Jan. Wolves and palace are 10 or more points clear of relegation. 

So I don't really see what would drive spending. You could argue us needing to spend as top 4 is under threat right now (I am.making my normal assumption we wouldn't spend to try and win it, we're about protecting revenues). And maybe man united if they feel they can win the league, although equally you could argue it may destablise them, they have a big squad and sticking is their best strategy. 

So I can see why spending is low, especially while the grounds are shut. But our defensive issues clearly undermine us and are extreme and you would like to think it would allow for an exception. But as we heard yesterday, that's not happening. 

I don't think there's any big bubble burst, it's just the league is more full of owners than ever who's objective is financial reward and not sporting. 

40 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I always think a lot of spending is driven by the club's facing relegation - arsenal's situation is surely understandable as they've not had CL for years and have an owner who won't want to invest to turn things around, it's why him and usmanov never got on. 

The thing with the teams facing relegation this season is there's sheff united - they blew what they had on Brewster, there's nothing.left. there's Fulham, but they can probably accept relegation and are showing signs of some recovery anyway. There's west brom, who again can probably survive going down and their bid to stay up was to roll with fat Sam. Burnley are going through a take over. And Brighton I am pretty sure will feel they don't need to sign anyone. Newcastle are not really in amongst it as they often spend in Jan. Wolves and palace are 10 or more points clear of relegation. 

So I don't really see what would drive spending. You could argue us needing to spend as top 4 is under threat right now (I am.making my normal assumption we wouldn't spend to try and win it, we're about protecting revenues). And maybe man united if they feel they can win the league, although equally you could argue it may destablise them, they have a big squad and sticking is their best strategy. 

So I can see why spending is low, especially while the grounds are shut. But our defensive issues clearly undermine us and are extreme and you would like to think it would allow for an exception. But as we heard yesterday, that's not happening. 

I don't think there's any big bubble burst, it's just the league is more full of owners than ever who's objective is financial reward and not sporting. 

There has been no signings at all compared to 230m last year with loads of those point's above just as valid last year. Clubs have to be looking at their wage bill and seeing they aren't compatible with reality if the TV companies go under and that is something they are probably  considering for the first time.